Bears Causing Trouble

Bears Causing Trouble

This is a discussion on Bears Causing Trouble within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, the drought, has finally caused the bears to look outside the mountains for food and water. My cousin, who lives down the road from ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Bears Causing Trouble

Bears Causing Trouble

Well, the drought, has finally caused the bears to look outside the mountains for food and water. My cousin, who lives down the road from us, has some very large chicken houses and they raise chickens for Tyson. The last three nights they have had a mama bear and two cubs breaking into the chicken houses and killing chickens; they would kill about 40 chickens and eat only the gizzard out of each one.

The game wardens came out and set a trap for them, they caught the two cubs the first night and the mama bear on the third night. They are worried that this bear may have to be put down, since it has discovered that chicken houses mean an easy meal; just about anywhere they decide to relocate this bear, it will eventually find a a chicken house; so it will go on a watch list. They said, the mama bear weighs in at almost 300 lbs, which is big for a female with cubs.

The bears are starting to show up in town, digging in peoples garbage now too, so when you step outside at night, you need a good flash light and to make some noise, so as not to walk up on one and cause a scene.

John Luttrell

The bears obviously don't know that eating chicken gizzards can aggravate gout.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

LOL gasmitty! Random and funny!

These things are to be expected when you live in the country. Bears just do what they do, they just don't have courtesy to clean up after themselves when they're done.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

That could prove interesting. Someone hearing the trash can banging and running out to chase off a raccoon and running into a 300 pound sow. Oops.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    That could prove interesting. Someone hearing the trash can banging and running out to chase off a raccoon and running into a 300 pound sow. Oops.
    Sounds like the start of a dood "DEPENDS" commercial.
    I would be packing a HD shotty with slugs when venturing out at night
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Finding that in the trash would make your gizzard quiver.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Keep your dogs in the house.

Too bad they are having to meet up with humans in order to survive, due to the drought conditions. They didn't ask for it either.

"Honey, will YOU take out the trash tonight, I hurt my ankle really bad at work today " . LOL.

Everyone here selling off their cattle because the grass in the pastures is doing so badly it won't support them very well, and panic selling is now setting in .... in other words, sell before the market is flooded and prices drop. But watch them go up badly about Oct - Nov st when the selling season usually occurs and there aren't any cattle left to sell.

Crops are not doing very well either. Are we entering the depression and the dust bowl period all over again ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

My uncle somehow ended up on a civilian "Bear SORT" in Woodland Park CO. They were issued high end paintball guns, and the pepper balls they use in the prisons and riot control. Evidently it is working really well. Bear gets deterred from dumpster diving and foraging for food in populated areas, the DOW gets relief from having to hunt down said bears to either relocate or euthanize, PETA is not so cranky about it.

Not sure what the civilian market is for pepper balls, but I thought it would be worth mentioning. Maybe something your cousin could speak with the DOW and LEOs in his area about it.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    My uncle somehow ended up on a civilian "Bear SORT" in Woodland Park CO. They were issued high end paintball guns, and the pepper balls they use in the prisons and riot control. Evidently it is working really well. Bear gets deterred from dumpster diving and foraging for food in populated areas, the DOW gets relief from having to hunt down said bears to either relocate or euthanize, PETA is not so cranky about it.

Not sure what the civilian market is for pepper balls, but I thought it would be worth mentioning. Maybe something your cousin could speak with the DOW and LEOs in his area about it.
    That's great, especially if it keeps us from taking out a bear out of season, but I couldn't care less about what PETA thinks; bunch of radical uneducated nuts jobs.
    John Luttrell

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals.....hahaha
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

VIP Member
    Got to get one of these,,,

Great Pyr and Bear - a True Story
    Attached Images
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

"I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Another good reason to stay out of Chicago,I knew the Bears were gonna be a problem back when McMahon was QB and they were doing some flaky dance on TV
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsored Links