The Fat..Combat Fit..

The Fat..Combat Fit..

This is a discussion on The Fat..Combat Fit.. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Atctimmy brought this up in another thread. So I thought I would take from that. Being 6 foot tall and 235 pounds is a bit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The Fat..Combat Fit..

The Fat..Combat Fit..

Atctimmy brought this up in another thread. So I thought I would take from that.

Being 6 foot tall and 235 pounds is a bit much. So July first I started a program to get some of the weight off. I eat low carb and exercise about 3 times a week a little strength training and some cardio. As of this post I have lost 31 pounds. I feel great and Im looking forward to the next 30 pounds coming off. Do we have any other individuals taking this type of task on. I would be interested in hearing about it.
    atctimmy, Bark'n, noway2 and 2 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Administrator
    Just FYI - KDKA TV Meteorologist (my next door neighbor) went on The 17 Day Diet and he has dropped 41 LBS so far...and is now up to running 8 times around the block.

His Wife is on the same diet and she has also lost weight.

Here is a VIDEO. There is a short "commercial" before the TV interview starts.

Watch the VID...he is so proud of himself & justifiably so.

http://www.whirlmagazine.com/2011/07...-fitness-tips/
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsor
    I'm 5'8" and about 10 years ago I was around 230lb. I hit the low carb diet hard and dropped about 40lb in a couple weeks. Then I started working out hard. Running and free weights. I got down to 160lb at about 7% body fat and built up to 170. I no longer work out regularly and don't run at all as my knees have succumbed to age. I bounce between 190 and 170 when I get up to 190 I back off on the carbs and do some light cardio and resistance work till I get back around 170. usually takes a month or so to drop the 20lb.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I've also started to lose weight. So far I'm down 25 lbs from 197 to 172 (5 ft 6 in tall). I plan on losing about 20 more lbs. I mainly did it by cutting down portion sizes and I wake up every morning before work and do cardio for at least 45 min. When I get to 10 lbs from my goal I'm going to incorporate more strength training.

On another note I'm down to the last notch of my AG leather Gun belt and it looks like I'll need to order a new one. I think I'll try one with the internal stiffener. Although I would rather wait until I get to my goal weight before I order another. Looks like I will need to find an intermediate solution between now and then.

VIP Member
    I was at 242 when I started but today I was on the scale at 222. I have not been dieting for about two months to let my body readjust. I've been working out pretty hard and have held my gains from this spring. I am going back on a diet this week so I should drop a bunch of weight in the next three or four weeks. My goal is to be at 210 by the end of this diet. Hunting season is just around the corner and I will be flying through the woods. My total goal is to get to 190 but I'm going one step at a time.

On a related note: I had an epic bike ride today (for me) and went to the max. I did 41 miles. On the way back I hit the wall with 9 miles left to go. I left it all out there and when I got back to the truck I was SHATTERED! It will take me a few days to recover but I'll be back out there soon.

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    I've also started to lose weight. So far I'm down 25 lbs from 197 to 172 (5 ft 6 in tall). I plan on losing about 20 more lbs. I mainly did it by cutting down portion sizes and I wake up every morning before work and do cardio for at least 45 min. When I get to 10 lbs from my goal I'm going to incorporate more strength training.

On another note I'm down to the last notch of my AG leather Gun belt and it looks like I'll need to order a new one. I think I'll try one with the internal stiffener. Although I would rather wait until I get to my goal weight before I order another. Looks like I will need to find an intermediate solution between now and then.
    Ice pick = done. : )
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    During my stint as a military recruiter then, I went from 176 to 197 lbs. at 5'6". I was still within bodyfat standards and still passing the fitness tests, but was barely hanging by a thread. Stress and long hours of driving made me ballooned up then. But once I was offered an admin. position while close to my last year of recruiting duty during March 2010, I pretty much started working regular hours again. So I took advantage of those regular hours and rebuilt my body from scratch starting out with the elliptical machines first and then working up to running 5-6 miles and also rebuilding my muscles using my Bowflex Home Gym. Once I started getting the hang of it and my body started acclimating to exercise, I eventually started doing explosive lifts with barbells/sandbags, martial arts drills, functional calisthenics, etc. And in May 2010, I got introduced toward kettlebell lifting for the first time after buying my set of adjustable kettlebells. It is great and have replaced dumbells. I kept in incorporated onto my workouts. As a result of good old fashioned perseverence, consistancy, and patience, I went down from a bloated 197 lbs. to my current weight of 173 lbs. I have even gained an extra inch on my neck size and it is now close to 18". My waist also went down from a size 37 to a size 33. As far as supplements go, I only use multivitamin and creatine since I can already gain protein from chicken and sometimes, beef. I have come a long way and just want to share my personal comeback and triumph over weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Atctimmy brought this up in another thread. So I thought I would take from that.

Being 6 foot tall and 235 pounds is a bit much. So July first I started a program to get some of the weight off. I eat low carb and exercise about 3 times a week a little strength training and some cardio. As of this post I have lost 31 pounds. I feel great and Im looking forward to the next 30 pounds coming off. Do we have any other individuals taking this type of task on. I would be interested in hearing about it.
    I'am 6'2'' and 230 pounds, as for me I keep the beer intake down.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I'm 6' and 230ish and I like my weight, even though the Dr. says I need to drop 20. I figure since I have a 48 inch chest and approx 37 in waist I am not too out of proportion. I try to eat 5 small meals a day and I do 2 hours of Krav Maga training at least twice a week.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i dropped 32 mid-life pounds with the Herbal-Life program. weight came off 2 pounds a week and after reaching my target weight with a combination of moderate exercise; biking 5 miles a day or walking 3; i switched to a maintenance program. i still exercise and eat sensibly, one shake a day. been 8 years now at my lower weight.

i understand the importance of hitting and maintaining my target weight without yo-yoing.

FWIW, i am very pleased to have done it right the 1st time.
    so is my doctor according to all my blood work results.
    good luck with your game plan.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I'm 6' and 230ish and I like my weight, even though the Dr. says I need to drop 20. I figure since I have a 48 inch chest and approx 37 in waist I am not too out of proportion. I try to eat 5 small meals a day and I do 2 hours of Krav Maga training at least twice a week.
    How are you liking the Krav Maga training? I found a gym near my house that has Krav Maga training and I'm really considering signing up. From what I've seen Krav Maga seems to be very practical from a defensive hand to hand standpoint. Is it something that a beginner could become proficient in from a self defense standpoint relatively quickly (assuming they stick with it and train regularly)? How intense are the work outs?

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    How are you liking the Krav Maga training? I found a gym near my house that has Krav Maga training and I'm really considering signing up. From what I've seen Krav Maga seems to be very practical from a defensive hand to hand standpoint. Is it something that a beginner could become proficient in from a self defense standpoint relatively quickly (assuming they stick with it and train regularly)? How intense are the work outs?
    Krav Maga is like any other martial art, in that it depends on what you put into it and whether you stick with it. When selecting a martial art, select the INSTRUCTOR first and the martial art SECOND.

I teach a Tae Kwon Do class in the Detroit area, hold a 4th degree black belt in it. I also have a 2nd degree in Aiki-jutsu. One of our black belts teaches Krav Maga in his studio a few suburbs away; the training is intense, the techniques well-suited to self-defense, and they stress a positive mental attitude. The same is true of my very eclectic TKD style and dozens of other martial arts.

It's really more about the instructor than the art. If they require a contract to ensure your continued attendance, run away. If they want to charge an excessive amount of money for their training (more than say $100/month), run away (I charge only $25 a month, but it's not my main income). If they tell you that their marital art is the end-all be-all of martial arts, run away.

Back on topic, physically fit is the way to go. Don't worry so much about your weight in pounds, worry about your fat percentage. It's a lot easier to carry a concealed weapon comfortably when you're fit.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    My weight has always been a battle for me. I find that I do really well with a combination of low carb and moderate exercise. About a week ago, I decided to go back to the low, or at least much lower, carb intake. I found that after about two days I really felt noticeably better, having fewer general aches and more energy. I am thinking of signing up at a local gym but with my work schedule I would have to go really early in the morning (i.e. about 5am) which I am not sure how well I will handle long term. Aside from wanting to feel better, I will admit that one of my driving goals is to drop a couple of inches over the next couple of months. My CC permit should arrive in Oct and I would like to be able to wear an IWB holster with the same pants I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I was at 242 when I started but today I was on the scale at 222. I have not been dieting for about two months to let my body readjust. I've been working out pretty hard and have held my gains from this spring. I am going back on a diet this week so I should drop a bunch of weight in the next three or four weeks. My goal is to be at 210 by the end of this diet. Hunting season is just around the corner and I will be flying through the woods. My total goal is to get to 190 but I'm going one step at a time.

On a related note: I had an epic bike ride today (for me) and went to the max. I did 41 miles. On the way back I hit the wall with 9 miles left to go. I left it all out there and when I got back to the truck I was SHATTERED! It will take me a few days to recover but I'll be back out there soon.

Ice pick = done. : )
    Like you just said shattered..I did a week long training in april, Afterwords I was done. I couldnt believe how bad I felt when the days were done. I decided that it was time for a change. Not only for my health, but to be able to recover better. Training is right around the corner in september. We will see how much of a difference a few pounds will make...

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

You studs need to add your approximate ages to these posts. Weight loss and exercise needs/goals are different at 25/35/45/55/65/75.

What works for this guy in his late 40's is eliminating high-fructose sugars, other highly processed/manufactured "foods" and the belly disappears.

I stay happy with high quality dark chocolate, and close to the earth meats and veggies. Also cut waaaaay back on breads. I can eat all the good meat and veggies I want without adding a pound if i avoid carbs.

Google up Dr. Michael Eades.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    You studs need to add your approximate ages to these posts. Weight loss and exercise needs/goals are different at 25/35/45/55/65/75.

What works for this guy in his late 40's is eliminating high-fructose sugars, other highly processed/manufactured "foods" and the belly disappears.

I stay happy with high quality dark chocolate, and close to the earth meats and veggies. Also cut waaaaay back on breads. I can eat all the good meat and veggies I want without adding a pound if i avoid carbs.

Google up Dr. Michael Eades.
    Ill start Im 40...and like yourself i cut out the bread, pasta, and other high carb foods. Good meats and veggies seem to be enough at this point in my life. We will see as I get older...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links