should I stay or should I go?

This is a discussion on should I stay or should I go? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm no financial genius. I usually stay out of the market because I can't sleep at night unless my money isn't at risk. Honestly, I'm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: should I stay or should I go?

VIP Member

should I stay or should I go?

I'm no financial genius. I usually stay out of the market because I can't sleep at night unless my money isn't at risk. Honestly, I'm such a wimp when it comes to money.

BUT...like a dummy I thought that last weeks sell off was a good time to buy low. Boy was I wrong.

So my question is this: Are we at the bottom and should I ride it out or should I jump now and lock in my modest losses in order to avoid the big hurt?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Okay first off when do plan on cashing out? If its in 5 years......what were you doing in the stock market? If 5-10 You shouldn't have had more then 20% of investments in stocks if you are 15+ till cashing out then wait for the market to settle then BUY. You could try and buy now but the markets gonna be crazy for another 3 months, then its gonna settle (Baring something else huge happening!), then its gonna slowly grow back. Its gonna take at least 3 years to recover to what it was beforehand, it could take up to 11.

Unless WWIII happens.

Okay is this the bottom, I'm not calling it. Timing the market is silly and like playing Lotto. It could uptick one day and tank the next. The market is going to have to adapt to a situation where America's AAA is in doubt, along with the EU coming collapse....and it will in the next 10 years. If it doesn't collapse then wow say hello to the United European States, that's the only two possibles for the EU currently.

So play the Long Game 15+ years of work.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

It's not the bottom, not even close. Sell or not...well you haven't lost anything until you DO sell.
    It's your decision.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    LIke terili said, the market is not a short term thing. Let it ride.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Buy low...sell high, but time is your friend when investing in the market. The longer you leave it there, the better your chances to get a return. OMO.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Okay now I get every ones problem with SIXTO's sig....its seriously annoying.

Oh yeah Also watch out for companies without a track record of 30 years. They don't have the experience to deal with high government spending and meddling, as well as a depressed public sector. Finally U.S. Securities and Bonds are well I haven't a clue and any one that says they know is selling something.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I talked to my financial adviser today and asked him what I should be buying he said "guns, canned food and ammo" gotta love the man.

No rash decisions here. On Friday I moved 30% of my 401k funds into bonds which don't move the needle when the rest of the world is going crazy.

My no-basis guess is that the selloff is market lemmings at work. I'm looking for spare change to buy blue chips and solid, dividend- and value-producing stocks at a 20% discount.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'm no financial genius. I usually stay out of the market because I can't sleep at night unless my money isn't at risk. Honestly, I'm such a wimp when it comes to money.

BUT...like a dummy I thought that last weeks sell off was a good time to buy low. Boy was I wrong.

So my question is this: Are we at the bottom and should I ride it out or should I jump now and lock in my modest losses in order to avoid the big hurt?
    If any of us knew that we'd be VERY wealthy. Best way to do the market is dollar-cost-averaging. Once a month, or quarter - up to you - you put in the same amount - you can buy the market with certain cheap mutual funds. They tend to do better than "stock-picking". You buy at all points in the market's swings - and thus save yourself and your money from trying to "time the market". Which is impossible.
    Pistology likes this.

Do not let your emotions affect your trading. You have to have the discipline to be completely emotionless when trading.

I used to trade in the commodities markets. Technical trading strategies are easy, the mental game is brutal. You should have an exit strategy before you even get in, and stick with your strategy.

I never traded stocks. Too slow moving and long term. If the company goes bankrupt, your stocks are worthless. Commodities are very liquid and fast moving. There's a tangible quantity of product at the end of every trade. No fad items. The commodity markets are the worlds necessities. Kind of like the worlds grocery store. No risk of a commodity going bankrupt. I don't trade now because all the markets are too volatile for me. And the margins on contracts are ridiculously high. The same with options premiums.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Personally, I'm just staying put and riding it out. As retsupt99 said previously, it's only a loss when you actually sell. A lot of the volatility now is coming from people panicking over "news" that a lot of investors knew was coming.
    Pistology likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Moderator
    With the Yahoos we have in office now that are raping,plundering and pillaging everything good about this country, I would NOT be in the market.

I guess it boils down to this...

How confident are you of the leadership...

to do the right thing?
    to do what is best for this country?
    to operate efficently?

Answer honestly and go from there.
    Pistology likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Rassmusen poll the other day, 83% of the American people believe the administration if governing against the will of the people.

So to answer HotGun's questions... That be a big No! x3
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I got out of the market back in 2006 by pure, dumb luck.

'Not going back in anytime soon.

It depends on your age and the time frame for which you are investing.

FIrst of all, none of this is happening. Michelle Bachmann and the tea bags guaranteed us that a default would not affect anything and we are way short of a default for a moment.

If you insist on looking at facts like dropping stock prices and rising interest rates and slowed economic growth attributed to congressional gridlock, there are a few things you can do.

Asset allocation is among the most important thing to provide some cushion.
    subtract your current age from 100. That number is the approximate percentage of your investment account that you should have in equities. The rest needs to be in income producing investments like bonds and CDs. You might keep about 10% in cash, gold, or money market accounts. BUT the percentage in 'income' is your nest egg; don't mess with it. Consider including some Inflation Protected Securities in your portfolio.

If you qualify, invest in a Roth IRA. In the long term it will be the best way to protect your money from taxes. A regular IRA will cost you a big slice of money when youhave to take mandatory withdrawals after age 70.5

Now, having made the investment, forget about it for 6 months. At the end of 6 months, recheck your asset allocation and buy/sell to get back to that percentage split based on age.

Be really careful about investment advisors. First ask yourself, "Cui bono?" If the person is trying to sell you something be ultra skeptical about the advice. Get a copy of Malkiel's A Random Walk Down Wall Street, look into Vanguard or TIAA-CREF (if you qualify) for help and hang out on the Morningstar.com web site for investment info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links