Fat guy on a little bike... - Page 2

Fat guy on a little bike...

This is a discussion on Fat guy on a little bike... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; You don't too fat from that sideview pic,lets see one from the rear sitting on the bike so we can see if it is a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fat guy on a little bike...

You don't too fat from that sideview pic,lets see one from the rear sitting on the bike so we can see if it is a good fit or not. If we can't see the seat,then i'd say you need a bigger seat and pedal a little faster....LOL!!
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Timmy, you are not that heavy buddy. I'm not saying stop trying to slim down I'm just saying you don't look that bad to me.

Nice bike. I'm still jealous.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I'm closing in on being old mighty quick here in Colorado, and as a fellow cyclist, I have a few comments.

ArkhmAsylm: In regards to the buzzing hands, a high quality pair of gloves (Pearl Izumi, Bontrager) and changing your hand positions every 5 or 10 mins of riding will at least help.

atctimmy: One thing that you could do is find a good health club that runs a decent spin class, and show up a couple days a week (take it easy the first 2 weeks), it'll go a long ways to making life on actual roads much easier.

I ride with a big guy occasionally who tips the scales over you, and he is a powerhouse! Don't underestimate how much power your big legs have, and how good your power to weight will be when you hit 210 if you keep the muscle and lose the fat. In that vein, make sure to take in protein asap after a ride/spin, so that your body doesn't break down muscle to make sugar to recover.

You will make great time covering ground if you stand increase your effort at the bottom of a roller, spending as little time as possible on the short hills/rollers, recover across the top, and put maybe 60 percent effort down the other side. You can make serious time on the downhill/flat portions as a big guy because of the power in the legs.

If you have issues with pinch flatting, you might consider increasing the size of your tires one notch, and stay with tires with over 100 psi inflation rating.

Gloves are a must, if you wreck, most people try to protect their head with their hands, and even with minor road rash, you'd have to take some time off shooting, God forbid.

I hope this doesn't come across as a know it all that you all have never heard from before, I mean this as someone who's made a ton of mistakes himself, and wants the best for the guys he meets. I love cycling almost as much as shooting. It's freedom to go anywhere, anytime, on your own power, and if you don't wreck, it's not as hard on your body as most other forms of exercise. Stay safe, and keep your heads on a swivel, boys.
    Just cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're wrong....

VIP Member
    Thanks friend. I put in a short 17.5 mile ride today and I road on the dirt yesterday. I was pretty tired today because I didn't fully recover from yesterday.

I jsut need to keep plugging away at it and the fitness will come.

ETA: I had a pretty good over the handlebars crash Saturday on the MTB, or off it rather. it was a pretty good trail and I'm hoping to get back on it again soon.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Good man, I love mtn biking, but with young kids, time is tight, I have to drive 20 mins to the closest mtb bike trail of any fun, and that's time lost riding. Hopefully you won't ever go over the handlebars again, but if you do, tuck and roll, don't reach an arm to block, but you must already know, since you didn't end up in the ER! Consistency is your friend, if you ever have any biking questions, even mtbiking, let me know, I've about memorized and old paperback called "100 mtbiking tips that don't suck", so that must make me an Expert, right?!!! Anyhow, good luck with your goals...
    Just cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're wrong....

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Now that helmet on the other hand...
    It usually seams that people who don't wear helmets just don't have anything in their head worth saving!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Cool, maybe we can encourage each other through this "ordeal". I already feel like I'm walking around hungry all the time. My doctor seems to think if I could loose 50-60 I most likely would not be diabetic anymore...worth a try.
    Thats the biggest mistake you have... If your walking around feeling hungry your not eating enough times. You need to eat at least 5 times a day. I dropped 60 lbs by watching what I eat and eat more often.

I intake 1000-1200 calories a day.

breakfast - bagel (carbs to get body functioning)
    mid morning snack - usually yogurt
    lunch - light lunch (salad or small sandwich)
    mid afternoon snack - yogurt, apple, orange etc...
    DINNER - a decent dinner (pasta is a downfall for me! I learned to eat out of a bowl. keeps the portions smaller) Im a huge chicken fanatic so you guessed it; I learned many ways to make and always boneless skinless.

Drink lots of water and try to avoid the late night snack.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I started biking seriously the day I retired (early) in Aug 2003. I was easily 240-250. October 2007 I weighed in at 180lbs at 5'9". In 2011, I'm right around 190-200. But, I didn't do it by biking. I just got stronger. I had to seriously diet at 1200 calories/day for a full year to get down to under 200lbs.

Good on you, OP, keep it up but cut back on the sugar and white carbs. :up:

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeTX View Post
    Thats the biggest mistake you have... If your walking around feeling hungry your not eating enough times. You need to eat at least 5 times a day. I dropped 60 lbs by watching what I eat and eat more often.

DINNER - a decent dinner (pasta is a downfall for me! I learned to eat out of a bowl. keeps the portions smaller) Im a huge chicken fanatic so you guessed it; I learned many ways to make and always boneless skinless.

Looks like a lot of carbs. Don't know how you stay at 1000 cals with Bagels, yogurt, sandwiches, apples. That's 145 gms of Carbs.

I have:
    Lean bacon - breakfast
    Salmon - lunch
    Shrimp, cup of watermelon - snacks
    Green beans, spinach (raw), more fish or beef twice a week - dinner

That's under 50gms carbs, and over 100gms protein. No white carbs, sugar.

Distinguished Member
    Neighbor saw me jogging with my shirt off. Said I looked like a Bartlett pear with a rubber band around it.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I got one of them there wheeled things in my garage, but I've never seen it work like that.

1st of the only thing I dislike about being bald(shaving my head)is that its awful cold in the winter. 2nd Its not a diet its a lifestyle change my wife and I both lost a substancial amount of weight be eating less per serving and eating more often 5 -6 times per day. The plan we actual used was Mike Thurmans. I believe the key is to find foods that you like that are on a menu you can eat from and not feel like you are missing out on too much.

By the way I believe there were some gray hair slurs going on during this thread. 1st be happy you have hair to go gray, and 2nd My wife likes my gray hair I'll be its on my chest and in my facial hair. Gray hair gives the illusion of knowledge, run with it. Funny that many men are percieved as sexier by women when they are older? Maybe my wifes just.... -----
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Hey man... You don't look too fat. I hear ya though. I busted my back up 1st week of May so my workouts have been on hiatus for the entire summer. I blimped up a good 25lbs over the last few months. My back is finally getting better so I started easing back into things and I'm down about 8lbs but still a long road back to get rid of this donut wheel I acquired.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Originally posted by Spike TX

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Looks like a lot of carbs. Don't know how you stay at 1000 cals with Bagels, yogurt, sandwiches, apples. That's 145 gms of Carbs.

I have:
    Lean bacon - breakfast
    Salmon - lunch
    Shrimp, cup of watermelon - snacks
    Green beans, spinach (raw), more fish or beef twice a week - dinner

That's under 50gms carbs, and over 100gms protein. No white carbs, sugar.
    You guys are starting to scare me. "BadgerJ" I don't think I could get by on what you're talking about. I would end up eating the corners off my desk or one of my smaller employees.

I'm one week into this today and have lost 7.5 lbs. I'm having 3 eggs boiled or scrambled and 3 sausage links for breakfast. A grilled burger patty or chicken breast and a small salad for lunch and grilled beef, chicken or fish and veggies for dinner. If I have a snack it's in the afternoon, usually a handful of grapes or an apple or plum.
    Been doing 0 carbs and of course 0 sugar as I'm diabetic. Only drinking water or green tea.
    Already sick of broccoli...

"Spike" you may be right, I probably should be eating less, but more times a day to speed up my metabolism, would also probably not feel so hungry all the time. I'll give that a try that starting tomorrow.

Thanks guys for the words of help and encouragement.

"Timmy" how are you doing man? I saw where you did a 17 mile bike ride...God bless you man.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links