My old trusty wallet finally died...let the search for a new one begin

This is a discussion on My old trusty wallet finally died...let the search for a new one begin within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have had the same leather wallet for 12 years. I bought it at a JC Penny in Alabama. I have no idea how much ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My old trusty wallet finally died...let the search for a new one begin

I have had the same leather wallet for 12 years. I bought it at a JC Penny in Alabama. I have no idea how much it cost. I can't remember. It served me very well for a long time. It was made by a company called Stafford.

Anyway, I was on vacation last week and we went to a place in Southern Indiana called Holiday World. It is an amusement park with a very good water park as well. They have some good roller coasters and other rides. We had a great time as a family. The plan was to do the roller coasters and other rides that don't soak you on the first day then do the water park the second.

But, we did make the mistake of getting on something called the Pilgrim's Plunge on the first day we were there. It is the largest flume ride in the world and the kids really wanted to ride it. it is a great ride. But we got soaked. And my wallet was completely soaked through and through. I took everything out fo it that night at the hotel and it did dry out but I could tell that was the last straw for it. The stitching had been coming apart slowly for years but that really killed it.

By the time we got back home, it was really falling apart. So I had to go out and find a replacement. I couldn't find anything that I liked nearly as much as my old faithful wallet but settled on a $10 nylon wallet for now. I figure it is an interim wallet until I find a proper replacement. But this think is throwing me off. Nothing is where it is supposed to be in it. The layout is not even close to the old one. I guess I am a creature of habit much more than I thought.

Anyone else hate having to get a new wallet?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Yep. I despise new wallet shopping. When you get the new one, keeping reversing the side to you/away from you. I garnered that idea here from some smart fella, and it really helps. But 12 years is pretty good anyway.

Glad the vacation was fun!

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    If you have a Marshalls near you go check out their selection of really nice leather wallets for next to nothing. Maxpedition also makes a few cool ones.

Believe it or not there is actually a vendor at the gun shows in Knoxville that sells nice leather wallets for $8. I bought one about a year ago and it has held up pretty nicely.

Easy choice...

Leather Wallets and Billfolds | by ALL-ETT mens wallets

I have the ripstop nylon model, but they make leather ones too. When full, half the thickness of my previous wallets.
    Have had mine 5 yrs and looks as good as the day I got it.

I use this in my front pocket. Beza Money Clamp If anything happens to it, I will definitely purchase another one.
    With guns, we are 'citizens'.
    Without them, we are 'subjects'.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Spending quality time with the family having fun - priceless!
    TN_Mike likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Yep, I hate new wallets. Like you I don't enjoy change in things like that. The last wallet I bought was from the old slave market /flea market in Charleston SC about 15 years ago. Last time, about 3 years ago, we went I bought 2 more from the same guy in the same stand. My father-in-law now has one of those and I have the other hidden for back-up.

Maxpedition is my EDC :)

I'd get a wallet/badge holder. Cuz wearing your CCW badge around your neck on a chain is just stupid.

Wallet shopping sucks. Having to break in the new wallet to mold with your butt cheek sucks even worse.

TN_Mike,

Funny you should ask!
    This same question came up within the last year when I was looking for a wallet.
    I like to keep it simple...thin enough to carry a few cards, some needed cash, and I.D.

This was a recommended place then...Small Wallets - Small Leather Credit Card Wallets : Saddleback Leather Company

I decided to try one. Like the poster at that time said, "Great leather, takes some time to break in so the license slides out, but will work very well. Money is simply folded and slid into the middle."

I have had mine for quit a while now and actually saved the site to pass on the others or renew my leather needs in a few years.

Search the site and enjoy shopping!
    hcrum87hc likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Funny you should ask!
    This same question came up within the last year when I was also looking for a wallet.
    I like to keep it simple...thin enough to carry a few cards, some needed cash and I.D.

This was a recommended place then...Small Wallets - Small Leather Credit Card Wallets : Saddleback Leather Company

I decided to try one. Like the poster said, "Great leather, takes some time to break so the license slides out, but will work very well."

I have had mine for quit a while now and actually saved the site to pass on the others or renew my leather needs in a few years.

Enjoy shopping!
    +1

I have three different Saddleback wallets, but only carry one of them on me, the smallest one they have. It holds: my drivers license, my CCW permit, both mine and my wife's military ID, a small card with some coded messages on it for passwords, two bank cards, two credit cards, and today about $120.00 in cash. It's small, and it takes some breaking in, but once you get it broken in and carrying what you need you'll never look back. There's a reason they have a 100 year guarantee -- I doubt seriously I, my kid or my grandkid will ever claim that warranty. It's that tough.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member
    +1 on the Saddleback wallets, those are some fine hand crafted wallets. I used the large model and I was able to fit so much in it with it still staying fairly thin. Sadly I'm not using it any more as it doesn't accomodate my current wallet requirements.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    Oddly enough, if you're ever in Charleston, the Straw Market usually has some very nice wallets for around $6 to $8. I'm a little peculiar in that I prefer a very thin credit-card bi-fold, and I just fold the cash in the middle. It's about a thin as a wallet can be, although they have all kinds. I picked up two this summer, which should last me for the next 10 years or more.

Edit: I just noticed that Cattus Vir also mentioned the same place! We must be on to something?

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I really like the leather wallets sold by Fossil.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    TN_Mike,

Funny you should ask!
    This same question came up within the last year when I was looking for a wallet.
    I like to keep it simple...thin enough to carry a few cards, some needed cash, and I.D.

I decided to try one. Like the poster at that time said, "Great leather, takes some time to break in so the license slides out, but will work very well. Money is simply folded and slid into the middle."

Search the site and enjoy shopping!
    +1000...my wife bought me a Saddleback leather Wallet the bifold and it is awesome. Their slogan is "Theyll fight over it when youre dead" I believe it. Very well made and worth the extra few bucks.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links