Life Lesson #3278

This is a discussion on Life Lesson #3278 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; NEVER wear a red shirt when you shop at Target!...

Thread: Life Lesson #3278

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

Life Lesson #3278

NEVER wear a red shirt when you shop at Target!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    LOL
    Curry

OK; Makes, sense to me.

Im a wal mart kinda shopper.

Administrator
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator

Made me think of this too

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Same goes for Sears and a shirt/tie. I was asked 5 times where the weedeaters are.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

VIP Member
    As a life long Trekkie....I try to avoid using red shirts anywhere anytime (and to stay clear way from anyone using one so I don't become "collateral damage.")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(science_fiction)
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    As a life long Trekkie....I try to avoid using red shirts anywhere anytime
    But at least you have a name...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Yup, happened to me a few weeks ago.

Guy walks up and asks where women's swimsuits are or something. I look at my wife, and she says "they're over there" and points. He walks away and I say to wife "what, do I look like I work here?" and she says "Well, with that red polo shirt on..."

I don't wear my blue polo to Best Buy now either.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Because of my work uniform I get this sort of thing all the time.
    My absolute favorite though is this lady who came in a store a couple of years ago, and singled me out. She started ranting about her troubles with the establishment in question, but talked over, and even yelled for me to "SHUT UP!"when I tried to tell here I didn't work there.
    After a few attempts, I just let her rant until she ran out of steam.
    I just stood there, and she asked if I could help her. Of course I said "no".
    (by now there was an audience)
    SHe threw her hands up in the air and asked "WELL, what do YOU suggest I do!?!"
    I couldn’t believe she set herself up like that, and after being yelled at for a couple of minutes straight, I didn't exercise my usual restraint.

I replied loudly enough for our audience to hear, "If you really what my opinion, I would suggest you go talk to someone who actually works here.

She just stared at me for a moment, then I saw her look at the logo on my uniform and. She looked around at the crowd (which by now was not entirely successful at hiding their laughter) with an expression of dawning horror. At that point she blushed, found the floor tile really interesting, and walked out without another word.

VIP Member
    I have had people walk up to me and ask questions in all sorts of stores and when I was dressed in all sorts of ways. I don't know what it is, unless it is the intelligent look and the air of confidence that I radiate.

Seriously, I can to to a men's store that sells nice suits and such wearing jean shorts and a tee shirt and have people approach me for help. I guess I have a face that says, "May I help you." If I know the answer I usually provide it. If I don't I usually tell the person that I don't work there and recommend that they find someone who does. I try to be nice. I usually shake my head trying to figure it out when I am with my wife and pushing a cart full of items when the question comes. I just can't see how anyone can mistake me for anything but a shopper at that point.

Of course I have never had an experience like GoodSam. But I think I would have taken the same tact he did.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    If I know the answer to their question, I usually try to be helpful myself, or else point them towards an employee. The story above is the exception rather than the rule, though.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    If I know the answer to their question, I usually try to be helpful myself, or else point them towards an employee. The story above is the exception rather than the rule, though.
    When the person refuses to listen to reason or to give you a chance to explain, they need to get a reinforced lesson in common courtesy. In the situation I would have done the same, even though it is my normal practice to help. Some people can't be convinced with chemical explosives only a nuke will get there attention.

Being from the South we hear lots of stories that have real life applications. Here's one.

A few days later he is back at the original owner's farm complaining that he can't get the mule to do anything. The original owner asks, "Did you use the 2X4 I gave you when you left?"

The new owner replies, "I have the 2X4, but I don't know what it has to do with the mule not working."

The original owner says, "Let me demonstrate." He picks up the 2X4 and walks up in front of the mule and hits the mule right between the eyes with the 2X4 while saying, "In order to get this mule to work you first have to get his attention."

Sometimes the only way to communicate with people is to get their attention first and sometimes the 2X4 of embarrassment is the only tool available.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Links