The official DC tattoo thread

This is a discussion on The official DC tattoo thread within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; jwhite, im sure if i reach 700 years old the tat won't be something im worried about...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The official DC tattoo thread

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    jwhite, im sure if i reach 700 years old the tat won't be something im worried about
    JDE101 likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

If you like them get them. I just make a point of sitting on the idea for at least a few months. Also, most of mine relate to a life event or something of the like. Because of that I am fine with them. I avoid spontaneous ones at all cost. My sister does not and I wonder what she will think later. She is 21 and still thinks she is in high school.

As much as I like my current ones, I will probably not get anymore. May just let them fade with time. Had my ears gauged too and removed them. Only about pencil size though.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    jwhite, im sure if i reach 700 years old the tat won't be something im worried about
    Sorry late and typing are never a good thing. There are a lot of LE agencies out there now who will not hire with visible tattoos.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I came really close to getting a tattoo once,After I broke my neck and they operated on me fusing my neck and installing rods and plates,I was gonna get a zipper tattooed over the scar with the zipper open a little and showing vertebrate underneath
    I may still do it ,maybe in DEC I turn 54
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    This is the off topic and humor section of the forum. This section is specifically for this kind of thing, subjects that do not pertain to carry and firearms. Lighten the heck up already. Damn.

See my response above. Crap people, when did so many of the members on this site get the pole installed in their keesters?

Chris, I don't have any pics of my tat. I was in the Navy. It's on my left shoulder on the back. It is a anchor with USN written across it. I have no idea where I got it other than it was in San Diego CA in 1987, and I have no idea how much it cost. The drinking ago on base was 19.
    Ill stand by my earlier post. The poll in my keester, that was removed a long time ago....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Do you like mine?

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Do you like mine?

You didnt grow up in the 80s did you LMAO...Nice collection
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

That's not mine, I was just being a wiseacre

I have a full body tattoo, only 2 inches taller.

I have not been able to make a Steven Wright reference for a long time, thanks Chris for laying that one up there.
    l1a1 likes this.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Senior Moderator
    Let's not make this into a religious debate or it will be closed.

Chris, I've wanted a tattoo for ten years and still not gotten one. Everyone I've asked for advice just shrugs and says, "It's your body and your tattoo. Do what you want."

I absolutely REFUSE to pick anything off of a tattoo artists wall because there are probably fifteen other people running around with the same tattoo because they were too lazy, impulsive and impatient to think of something special for themselves.

If you want something patriotic I would recommend making a list of what symbolizes patriotism TO YOU!! For some that is the flag, for some that's an eagle, service in their country, religious freedom, dogs barking, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln... it is unique to that person.

Also, as I have been waiting on my own design to come together I have been forced to come to terms with what REALLY has mattered and impacted me throughout my life. Yeah, you are into guns right now and want a gun tattoo but when you turn 45 you might not be so into them. You might not regret the tattoo but it might not hold the kind of significance you thought it did at the time. Think hard and DEEP about what REALLY REALLY matters to you.

Also, think HARD about what kinds of symbols you are putting on your body. To you, right now, a gun is cool and fun to shoot and a symbol of protection. To others and the vast majority of the world, guns are a symbol of violence, aggression, war and even murder. If you care at all what other people think I would recommend you take a step back and think carefully about placement and the kind of reception you might get with your tattoo especially as it relates to future employment.

Something else I would do is check out a few books on symbolism. So many people get things tattooed on them and they have NO idea what they really mean... whether its an Asian or Hebrew word or some other symbol that has FAR reaching and deep meaning that very well could be the opposite of your goal in your tattoo.

Look at some of the most important symbols in our culture (your dollar bill for instance) which is RIPE with freemasonry and astronomy. It would be nice to know, however, whether or not that cool squiggly you are thinking of incorporating into your tattoo is some kind of tribal death mark or just a cool squiggly.

One thing to look at is literature on Crests and Coats of Arms. Yes, while those kinds of symbols are greatly lost to our culture these days there was a time when an eagle with his head pointing to the right meant something different than if his head was pointing to the left.

You might not care, but then again, you just might.

Americans have greatly cheapened symbols and symbolism in our culture. Not much is sacred or has any deep meaning anymore beyond your very BASIC of symbols... but you have an opportunity to deepen it if you so choose or make it as shallow as you would.

Throughout my youth I have designed two coats of arms for my family, one symbolic drawing for a deep relationship I was in and I've been working on my own tattoo that is saturated with symbolism for years.

I sometimes suspect that it will never be done and that's fine with me. What's important to me is that it is MINE! It is unique. It is special and there is not a single line that doesn't have meaning and importance to me.

If I were to get a permanent mark on my body that is the kind I would want because I'm fairly certain it would be something I would appreciate even when I was 80 and it was melting off my skin.

I have a friend that is an artist. I have her drawing up some new art for me.

Having an artist doing it is nice. The guy who does mine paints, draws, and all that good stuff. It helps out when he is using a needle.

I took a few pictures of mine, but my phone is leaving some of the picture a bit blurry.

2011-08-14_22-26-50_730.jpg2011-08-14_22-38-30_649.jpg2011-08-14_22-39-40_476.jpg2011-08-14_22-41-08_56.jpg

Well there is a few of them. Its odd. While I look at them in a photo I hate them, yet in person I enjoy them. Maybe its my camera. It does appear that a number of details are lost when taking a picture. If I get anymore it will be designing a whole piece then getting it. That arm ended up being stuff mashed together with only a rough idea of how it would lay out.

All I know is I need some touch ups.

The pirate is in my arm pit. I wanted a stupid tattoo. Figured I would never have to look at it when its tucked up there.

Art is about life and imagination.

LimaTunes, Of course yours has to be your avatar! I was out for a while and remember you were about to go into the Marines. How did all that go?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links