The official DC tattoo thread

This is a discussion on The official DC tattoo thread within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am uploading a couple pictures of mine now. i only have 2 at the moment but I have a few more in mind....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The official DC tattoo thread

I am uploading a couple pictures of mine now. i only have 2 at the moment but I have a few more in mind.

2. Remove Ads

I have three that all have great meaning to me and they are all covered by a t-shirt. Mine are:
    1) On my left shoulder blade and it is Chinese symbols for honor. I got it about six months before Chinese characters were THE thing to get, and kind of annoys me. If I could change it I would have just went with the word in English or something different, but I like it.
    2) Right shoulder blade is a 12ga shell with my grandfather's initials and DOB-DOD as the head stamp. He taught me how to shoot and loved trap shooting. We were very close.
    3) On my right upper shoulder is an old time compass (like you see on the bottom of old maritime maps) with the word 'dad' in the middle. That signifies that my father is there for me wherever I go.

I think visible tattoos are not the best idea, but that is just my opinion relating to myself. As for others, do what you'd like! It's called freedom, enjoy it.

I do have this story: I worked with a guy who was a bit of a hell raiser when he was younger. He had a Chinese character on his neck and he hates it. As he put it "Oh yeah I look real cool now, don't I?"
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I have no use for tattoo's, I have enough unique scars.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

I've got a purple sailboat with my sorority letters on my hip that I got back in college.

Last year I got 5 butterflies on my left shoulder - one for each of my kids, I had the colors done as close to their birthstones that I could.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349583968.463560.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I've got a purple sailboat with my sorority letters on my hip that I got back in college.
    Let's see it!

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    Attachment 52623Attachment 52624Attachment 52625Attachment 52626

Well there is a few of them. Its odd. While I look at them in a photo I hate them, yet in person I enjoy them. Maybe its my camera. It does appear that a number of details are lost when taking a picture. If I get anymore it will be designing a whole piece then getting it. That arm ended up being stuff mashed together with only a rough idea of how it would lay out.

All I know is I need some touch ups.

The pirate is in my arm pit. I wanted a stupid tattoo. Figured I would never have to look at it when its tucked up there.
    Those were either taken in the winter or your a vampire
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Be careful now next thing you know folks will be talking about the t-shirt everyone is wearing.

I don't know how I missed this thread for so long. Tattoos are an expression of life and some have more exciting lives than others. It is strictly a personal choice, some like them some don't. Here I can say that 3/4 of the military and support guys have ink, some are fully sleeved on both arms and that is just what you can see and it ranges from privates to officers and everything in between.

Lory just had here 1/2 sleeve outline done last night and has several pieces of ink that all mean something to her and I love every one of them. I will let her take pics and decide what she would like to post. To me a woman with body art shows that they are strong, confident and just plain damn sexy but they are not for everyone.

I have tats that mean something to me. I received my first in 1979. A simple USMC in old english script that I got on Court Street in Jacksonville N.C. Since then I have added a Harley Eagle Bar and Shield on my inside left forearm, a SWAT Sniper 1* on my right upper arm, a Superman logo in the center of my chest, a 360 tribal band on my right arm, upon graduation from sniper school the chinese symbol for "Death" on my inner right forearm and a HD with scrolling on the back of my neck. The last one I received by a young E-5 at a firebase in Iraq by a very talented young man who is no longer with this world so it is rather special to me.

When I come home next I will get more simply because I like them. Most are covered by a t shirt but if they show oh well. I won't get profanity or anything like that but again it is a personal choice.

Chris as stated you have to decide what patriotic to you. Simply go online for pictures and quotes and make it special for you. The artist will be able to draw it up and make changes until you are satisfied.

Lima I have to agree your avatar would be the perfect first tattoo. Lish very nice ink and tastefully done.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    For many years (I’m 62 now) I have thought of getting of getting a tattoo or two but just could not decide what I wanted. Having done some genealogical research and learning my ancestors were Scottish I have decided on two. One will be either a Celtic knot or cross and the other will be some form of the thistle.

Here are some examples. Scottish Tattoos Page One
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I never plan on getting a tattoo, but I always thought this one was a classic:

guntattoo-8.jpg
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Those were either taken in the winter or your a vampire
    Winter mixed with low light and flash. I am very pale. Don't take to the sun well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I can think of better uses for this forum. I'm sure there are tattoo or body art forums a-plenty that will serve.
    I second or third whatever.

This is me as the artist was taking a quick break half way through my latest tattoo. It's the last words of the Budhha. Very roughly translated: Nothing is permanent, strive diligently for your own salvation.

It’s just after midnight in the picture, which is why I look a bit groggy, and we had been working on and off since the late afternoon on the ink. He had by this point already finished work on both of my arms.

Btw, the artist is my son.

I can think of better uses for this forum. I'm sure there are tattoo or body art forums a-plenty that will serve.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I second or third whatever.
    Hmmmm, this is the "Off Topic" forum, isn't it? The subject line clearly states "Tatoos". Did someone force you to read these posts? If you aren't interested, DON'T BOTHER TO READ THEM!!! Sheeesh.

Personally, I find it interesting and am glad people have posted some of their tats. I especially liked the Scottish ink link. I'd like to see a lot more posts. BTW, I have 5 myself, but none gun related. One Harley, one Ying-Yang fire and water, two Celtic arm bands, one dragon. Oh, and one A+ on my back, which is my blood type, done during the civil defense "drop and cover" scare days when I was in grade school during the Ike administration.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I still haven't uploaded the pics but on my left torso/rib cage I have a lung cancer ribbon with my dad's DOB-DOD and on my right forearm I have a cross made out of bullets drapped with an American flag and my grandpa's name in a dog tag(WW2 vet)

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    Attachment 52623Attachment 52624Attachment 52625Attachment 52626

Well there is a few of them. Its odd. While I look at them in a photo I hate them, yet in person I enjoy them. Maybe its my camera. It does appear that a number of details are lost when taking a picture. If I get anymore it will be designing a whole piece then getting it. That arm ended up being stuff mashed together with only a rough idea of how it would lay out.

All I know is I need some touch ups.

The pirate is in my arm pit. I wanted a stupid tattoo. Figured I would never have to look at it when its tucked up there.
    Stairway to Heaven FTW!

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links