Don't Forget The Horror in Somalia

This is a discussion on Don't Forget The Horror in Somalia within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just saw a news special on the famine in Somalia. I couldn't watch any more it was so painful - children like skeletal old ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Don't Forget The Horror in Somalia

I just saw a news special on the famine in Somalia. I couldn't watch any more it was so painful - children like skeletal old people - a father using a few drops of his precious water to wash the dead body of his baby before digging a grave on the sand.

And all this is going on, I thought, while I worry and moan over my everyday little problems. I couldn't believe how easily we block out real suffering when it's far away.

When I have some money, no new gun, I'm sending it to some aid-agency for those poor people. I don't know which is best, some of them keep a huge amount of your money for "overhead". I want it to go to the starving. The estimates of how many will die and have died is jaw-dropping.

Anyway, I couldn't help posting.

Thanks for reading a depressing subject...

Most of Somalia from my understanding unless it's changed is run by warlords,most of the aid is stolen by them to feed their gangs and or sold for profit.
    oneshot likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Most of Somalia from my understanding unless it's changed is run by warlords,most of the aid is stolen by them to feed their gangs and or sold for profit.
    I think that's true in some areas but not all. Not an expert on Somalia though, but part of it was lack of aid-money coming in to relieve some of the famine according to this report and others I have seen. It may be both in some areas - and/or perhaps the lack of food from climate-problems or agriculture problems is also acute.

What the effect is, is painfully evident.

I'd give money and take the risk some would be stolen - otherwise I would guarantee none would get to the people.
    MikeNice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    it to some aid-agency for those poor people. I don't know which is best, some of them keep a huge amount of your money for "overhead". I want it to go to the starving.
    Check the charity here, they do some research into where the money goes.

Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home

My money went to Samaritan's Purse. They are on the ground in Kenya, right across the Somali border. Somalia is not particularly safe.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    I just saw a news special on the famine in Somalia. I couldn't watch any more it was so painful - children like skeletal old people - a father using a few drops of his precious water to wash the dead body of his baby before digging a grave on the sand.

And all this is going on, I thought, while I worry and moan over my everyday little problems. I couldn't believe how easily we block out real suffering when it's far away.

When I have some money, no new gun, I'm sending it to some aid-agency for those poor people. I don't know which is best, some of them keep a huge amount of your money for "overhead". I want it to go to the starving. The estimates of how many will die and have died is jaw-dropping.

Anyway, I couldn't help posting.

Thanks for reading a depressing subject...
    I'm not going to tell you not to send any money to a charity for this kind of thing. Just keep in mind that the majority of money or food sent to that part of the world by charities do not make it to the people who need it but are taken by the scum bags who are keeping these people in this situation.

I'd like to help but, I don't want to line the pockets of the criminals responsible for the suffering.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It should make you appreciate how blessed you are to have been born in the USA and to respect those who have given their lives or been wounded protecting the great country that we live in.
    Last edited by apvbguy; August 13th, 2011 at 11:06 PM.
    msgt/ret, TN_Mike and MikeNice like this.

Thanks for that.

It does make me appreciate what we have preserved here with great cost some are willing to bear.

Their are poor people in the USA who need your help just as badly as those in other places in the world, and you can know you aren't donating money which will help keep a long standing civil/tribal/religious war going.

I'm not saying conditions aren't bad over their...But famine is the result of factors other than crop failure.
    Stubborn likes this.

Save your money. Better yet send it to a Pro Constitution Legal fund. This helps to preserve what we have. The poor and starving will always be here no matter what we do. Their goverment would be the only beneficiary of your donation.
    msgt/ret and zacii like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Save your money. Better yet send it to a Pro Constitution Legal fund. This helps to preserve what we have. The poor and starving will always be here no matter what we do. Their goverment would be the only beneficiary of your donation.
    I've got to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Their are poor people in the USA who need your help just as badly as those in other places in the world, and you can know you aren't donating money which will help keep a long standing civil/tribal/religious war going.

I'm not saying conditions aren't bad over their...But famine is the result of factors other than crop failure.
    +1 charity should start right here...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I'm not going to tell you not to send any money to a charity for this kind of thing. Just keep in mind that the majority of money or food sent to that part of the world by charities do not make it to the people who need it but are taken by the scum bags who are keeping these people in this situation.

I'd like to help but, I don't want to line the pockets of the criminals responsible for the suffering.

^^^^^^This^^^^^and^^^^^^^^^^This,,,,,,^^^^^^^^^

Somalia is run by thugs who are only interested in one thing. Money, which brings power.

Whole place needs to be shelled for 72 hours, and then relief efforts can begin, after the thugs are disoriented and powerless.

Sad for the people there, but if the UN (what a joke) is not going to do anything, why should the rest of the world???
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    +1 charity should start right here...
    We need to concentrate on our problems at home. No more "Mr. nice guy". We've done enough for the entire world, and look what it's got us. Let some other mu-slam country fatten up the future pirates and terrorists.
    msgt/ret likes this.

I don't care whether Somalia lives or dies.

I am more worried about our own horror on our southern border.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I want it to go to the starving.
    A noble goal, for sure, but an impossible task.
    Okay, so we load a boat with food and take it there.
    Most ships are trying to AVOID the horn of Africa.
    How do we unload it? The union dock hands? The container rig? Forget it.
    If you can get past that, load a truck, but there are no roads to speak of,
    and what there are have pirates. So the truck and the food get stolen, and the aid workers are shot.
    What? Send another ship?
    Maybe fly over and push a pallet of pancakes out the door.
    At least some might get to the people.
    Better hope your plane doesn't get shot down like "blackhawk down".
    You'd never get out alive...and you're the good guy.

Somalia has to face it's own problems first.
    And the muslim world should be leading........of course, they're not.

UN? It's a joke. Sorry, just reality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links