911 10 years later

This is a discussion on 911 10 years later within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know this is kind of early but just got my tickets in the mail for the Redskins Giants opener at fedex field on 911. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 911 10 years later

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

911 10 years later

I know this is kind of early but just got my tickets in the mail for the Redskins Giants opener at fedex field on 911. Not only am I a Colorado born die hard redskins fan but my inlaws are die hard giants fans. This has great significance to me because it's the two cities that were attacked that day.

Just to reflect, I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was a third classman at VMI. I had celebrated my 21st birthday days before, my father had an office in the pentagon, and my roomates dad was supposed to be at work in the pentagon. That day he had taken a sick day, what's weird he is he hadn't taken a sick day in years. I remember being in my accounting class when another keydet burst in and said a plan hit the wtc. A week earlier some cesna hit a sky scraper so I thought to myself what idiot flew his cesna into the wtc. A few min later, we ran into one of the colonel's offices just in time to catch the second plan hit the other tower. I remember making it back to barracks and seeing utter caos. I made my way to px to see what was going on. That day was one of two days the marine recruiter was trying to convince metered to enlist. In the past he maybe had 2-3 guys listening to his speal. That day as we watched the big screen the recruiter had a line of keydets begging to sign them up. Third classman were not allowed cellphones however myself and my rookies had snuck them in. I made it back to my room to find my room ate sobbing in tears cause he couldn't get a hold of his father. He had to go to football practice so I continued to call my dad. After getting a hold of him I told him the situation and he drove 50 miles to my roomates parents house to get eyes on my roots father and see that he was ok. After receiving word I ran to the football field found my room ate and told him his father was safe. My room ate broke down.

That night we hung bed sheets on the back of old barracks to watch president Bush's address the nation. After he was finished a 1st classman snuck into the guard room and blasted Lee Greenwood's proud to an American. The last thing I remember was my knees giving out and collapsing on the stoop sobbing.

The next day was the when things really set in. Usually I studied till about 11-12 at night walking back to room across the 11 acre parade deck. Before I could always look up and see multiple airliners some probably decending from 30,000 getting ready to start approach into Dulles. That night and a few nights after there was nothing.

I share this to remember the fallen and to celebrate that even though this horrible event took place i still want to take the time and cherish this great country. I will always remember those that perished that day. I would like to hear what others are doing ten years after this tragedy.

Thank you for everybody that served.

"LETS ROLL"
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

I was stationed on board the USS Miami (SSN-755) in drydock in Kittery Maine. I was on my way down to Groton CT (the sub base) for a dental appointment that morning. I was halfway there when the second plane hit, and the radio called it a terrorist attack. I called the boat and was turned around to head beck to Kittery. When I arrived at the shipyard gate there was a 2 hour wait to get on base due to the level security was going over cars coming in. Once I finally got to the boat, I was amazed how many armed watchstanders there where walking around. It felt surreal, we where angry and scared but totally ready to go to war. The general concensus was lets unleash hell on who ever was responsible. Glass parking lots.

VIP Member
    I was managing a team of software sales consultants, and the night before had told one of my engineers to grab the first flight out of Boston to Atlanta so I could get him started on coding a project.

I knew we wouldn't be in until late morning, so I took my time getting ready that morning, and flipped on the TV not long after the first tower was hit. I spent the entire day trying to reach the guy to no avail. The next day I learned that he was too hungover to make the flight. I was never so grateful for alcohol abuse.

I had just checked out of COMSUBGRU Nine as a Communications watch Officer and was getting my young'uns ready for the school day before I reported to Trident Training Facility, Bangor, Wa. for my new school before reporting to my next command. My oldest boy, 13 ATT, came busting into the bedroom to tell us a plane had hit one of the twin towers. I thought the same thing Rob did.... a Cesna or something like that. I got to the living room and watched the second plane hit on live TV. I changed from my working whites into my BDU's and reported back to CSG-9......and took over sending EVERY West coast Submarine able to sea and ensuring all lines remained open 'in case' the POTUS sent word to 'pull the trigger'. (see Doodle's "glass parking lots" ) VERY SOBERING day.

I was ready, that day, to go wherever I was told to go.......as long as I got a piece of whoever's butt had picked a fight with MY COUNTRY.

I got my wish.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I was at Barksdale AFB as a mid-grade Capt....we had all of our bombers loaded and ready to go. UBL picked the wrong day to mess with Uncle...we were in the middle of a world-wide exercise. The only thing we needed to do to make Afghanistan look like glass was updated maps/charts. We were mad...and we were ready.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    I had just checked out of COMSUBGRU Nine as a Communications watch Officer and was getting my young'uns ready for the school day before I reported to Trident Training Facility, Bangor, Wa. for my new school before reporting to my next command. My oldest boy, 13 ATT, came busting into the bedroom to tell us a plane had hit one of the twin towers. I thought the same thing Rob did.... a Cesna or something like that. I got to the living room and watched the second plane hit on live TV. I changed from my working whites into my BDU's and reported back to CSG-9......and took over sending EVERY West coast Submarine able to sea and ensuring all lines remained open 'in case' the POTUS sent word to 'pull the trigger'. (see Doodle's "glass parking lots" ) VERY SOBERING day.

I was ready, that day, to go wherever I was told to go.......as long as I got a piece of whoever's butt had picked a fight with MY COUNTRY

I got my wish.
    Hoorah

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I was at Barksdale AFB as a mid-grade Capt....we had all of our bombers loaded and ready to go. UBL picked the wrong day to mess with Uncle...we were in the middle of a world-wide exercise. The only thing we needed to do to make Afghanistan look like glass was updated maps/charts. We were mad...and we were ready.
    Hoorah

I wish we were not in the shipyard, 688's got to launch ALOT of tomahawks after.

I was the only Senior Manager left in the warehouse that day, as the others were on the road at meeting's. The word came down to me from the Regional manager to shut down all opperations ASAP. We were only 20 or so miles from the towes and no one knew what may be on the list next.
    Prior to that call, I had been watching on TV what was happening in the the City. My first thought was " We are going to be in WWIII". I had to get 80 to 90 workers out safely, and arange for places to stay for some of them as the commuted from NYC. A very scarry and worrysom day to be sure.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

I was a 911 operator back then. One of the girls was leaving her husband and had asked me the day before to help her since I was the only male operator on 2nd shift and used to work out back then. I remember meeting her at the U-Haul place that morning and while I was in the car waiting I was listening to Bob and Tom. I can't remember the exact words, but it was something to the effect of "This is not a joke. We're serious."

So we spent the morning, her, I, another operator, and her soon to be ex-husband watching the news and listening to it on the radio, not really knowing what was happening. We got her stuff moved in two trips with about 2 hours to spare before shift. I don't remember what happened that night, but it just didn't seem busy enough. I mean, no one knew what was going on, or if there'd be more attacks or how they'd happen, and we were trying to brace for the worst. We were a "smallish" county, although it's the fifth biggest in Tennessee, and right on the doorstep of Ft. Campbell, Kentucky.

Lots of calls that night, lots of people calling in to report anything the least little bit out of order or out of place. I don't think anyone there expected anything differently after what had happened.

Even though it wasn't allowed in the building, I was still carrying concealed. Figured if it really did hit the fan, who was gonna care and why should I not have some means to protect myself? I carried in there for about 2 weeks or so after 9/11. Far as I know, nobody knew.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

The only reality I have about this is the state of the nation. It took 6 years in the 30s to build Hoover dam limited technology. Today with advanced tech 10 years later and the wtc site is still a hole in the ground. We are giving millions in aid to countries like Pakistan who back stab us repeatedly and help the very resistance we are collectively trying to destroy and nobody in Washington seems to care one bit as evident by 5 year 7.5 billion dollar aid package the cic just signed to Pakistan. The president before him has the perfect opportunity to LOCK DOWN the border with full public support and neither he nor the one in office now has done squat about it. They ignore the threat and it has gotten worse.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but when I think of Sept. 11th I see how we are no better off than we were the day before, albeit a lot poorer in both money and proud NY skyline. Sept 11th makes me embarrassed for ourselves and at the people running this country who have extreme apathy to the actual threats we face.

1431.gif

Tim

Thanks to all who were serving on that day... civilians and military alike...

My proudest moment after 911 was manning the phones for the telethon subsequent to the attacks... The call center was set up by Bernie Ebbers.. of WorldCom infamy. Regardless of the crimes he committed, his heart was in the right place when he offered WorldCom's phone lines to get the money to the victims.

I agree with AZChevy, we are not where we should be in terms of homeland security... and we may never get there. And we have given our blood and treasure to our enemies (who pretend to be our allies) for far too long.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    The only reality I have about this is the state of the nation. It took 6 years in the 30s to build Hoover dam limited technology. Today with advanced tech 10 years later and the wtc site is still a hole in the ground. We are giving millions in aid to countries like Pakistan who back stab us repeatedly and help the very resistance we are collectively trying to destroy and nobody in Washington seems to care one bit as evident by 5 year 7.5 billion dollar aid package the cic just signed to Pakistan. The president before him has the perfect opportunity to LOCK DOWN the border with full public support and neither he nor the one in office now has done squat about it. They ignore the threat and it has gotten worse.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but when I think of Sept. 11th I see how we are no better off than we were the day before, albeit a lot poorer in both money and proud NY skyline. Sept 11th makes me embarrassed for ourselves and at the people running this country who have extreme apathy to the actual threats we face.
    I heartily agree. Our nation is but a shadow of what it used to be. We are at an all-time low and running a deficit on a great many virtues besides money. But the fat lady hasn't sung yet. We the citizens, for the moment, are still in a position to decide the future, and we will be held accountable for what we do or what we don't do.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I've undoubtedly related my experience before, but here goes: I was driving into my last week of work at a job I really hated, when I heard over the radio that a plane had crashed into the WTC. I first thought it was a really bad navigation failure. Then I heard about the second one, and immediately thought it was an attack of some kind. Called my wife, who should have been in the towers that morning but her meeting had gotten rescheduled just a few days before (she worked for Morgan Stanley at the time, and knew their security chief who was a true hero).

We, as a country have not done nearly enough to put the fear of God in terrorists world wide. We had the opportunity to make terrorism a historical footnote. We could have finally secured our borders without a peep. We should have rebuilt the towers bigger, taller and better than before. We've done none of this, and it both saddens and angers me.

Somewhat ironically, the National Association of Investment Companies (who lost a number of members in the attacks) is having their annual meeting on September 11th, 2011.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links