Advice Thread

Advice Thread

This is a discussion on Advice Thread within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There have been threads about occupations and so forth but this one is a bit different. What type of advice can yo give people that ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WHEC724

Thread: Advice Thread

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Advice Thread

There have been threads about occupations and so forth but this one is a bit different.

What type of advice can yo give people that is legitimate and helpful? Can be career related or just advice on things that you know about and can help with. This can be very helpful to people in a time of need or just in a pinch. Non-gun related if possible. We have professional gunsmiths around here for that.

I can give advice on planning funerals, both at-need and pre-need. This includes cremation options, traditional burial and out of town burials, and also Veteran's burial and benefit information. I can help with monuments, insurance filing information and estate settlements in probate court. Basically anything funeral related.

Anyone else?
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I work at a new car dealership, I've learned a lot more than I wanted to but one big thing as far as car ownership goes is: If there is not a dealer in town for it you don't need it. (Basically if you can count the traffic lights and paved roads without taking your shoes off you don't need that BMW)
    Another: The fancier and more automated your car is the more expensive it may be to fix.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    'Jack of all trades and master of none. You takes your chances when you listen to whec.
    ArkhmAsylm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    'Jack of all trades and master of none. You takes your chances when you listen to whec.
    Now them's some good advices!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Don't tempt temptation; you'll lose every time.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i have yet to be wrong when giving relationship advice, which is strange because i often fail to take my own advice
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Here is my advice as it pertains to my career field. If you are looking or even just thinking about a job in ATC you need to look into Beaver County Community College (Beaver County PA just outside of Pittsburgh). BCCC has a contract with the FAA and they place something like 94% of their graduates into a position with the FAA. These jobs pay anywhere from 65K to 125K a year once you are fully rated. Starting pay is around 35K to 45K and pay raises come fast.

The program is a two year associates program with job placement afterwards. All told you can get into a six figure career field with only a 9 or 10 grand education.

The FAA by law can't hire anyone over the age of 31 (new off the street) to be a controller and because it's the government things move slowly during the hiring process (it could take a year or two to get in). So if you are 28 or older than the odds of getting in are slim and not worth the risk of paying for a two year degree and not getting hired. 27 or younger and it could be the best money you've ever spent.

ETA: There is a catch. We do wash out about 20% of new hires because they can't do the job. Aviation, especially air traffic control, is not the place for hangers on. You need to do the job well or you get the boot. If you are slow, have a speech impediment, have an accent, if you stutter or if you have dyslexia then this job isn't for you.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I've worked in a county jail for some time now, so I can give advice on what not to do if locked up (ex. Don't try to get Billy badass with the jail staff because you will always lose). Also I am a KY CCDW instructor so I can give advice pertaining to that.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Sponsored Links