I felt like Barney Fife himself today

This is a discussion on I felt like Barney Fife himself today within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Worst day ever. I worked a 16 hour shift. Did traffic control for 8 hours then looked around at a few sites the rest of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: I felt like Barney Fife himself today

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

I felt like Barney Fife himself today

Worst day ever. I worked a 16 hour shift. Did traffic control for 8 hours then looked around at a few sites the rest of the day. I show up to the wrong address for traffic this morning. Got yelled at by IPL even though they gave me the wrong address. I then managed to lock my keys in my squad whilst it was running. Got the boss to show up and unlock it for me. So I got back in it and activated my lights and shut the engine off, got out and locked the door, turned around and boom..............keys in the ignition again. So i flag the boss down as he turns around and he lets me back in my squad, this time handing me the keys and shutting my door for me with instructions to roll the window down and not lock the door later.

So we are moving around and we get to our final location and I park the squad with the light bar and interior lights flashing away. I then began to direct traffic and things are going smoothly again. I go to grab a gatorade off of one of the trucks and realize my lights are no longer flashing. In a panic I ran to the car, flung open the door and tried to start the car. Nothing. So I get IPL to give me a jump. I then proceded to shut the door on my hand breaking a finger in the process. Then my day with IPL was over and I went through the line at Arby's to get chow before taking my next run. While waiting on food, I got rear ended by an Audi. No damage to the Audi, but my Vic's taillight no longer works. So I went and replaced that. Got to a site where I was called for assistance and walked in just in time to get knocked over by a perp running off the site. I jumped up, radioed for IMPD and realized my radio was dead. When I fell I cracked the battery cover.

So the guy on site radios and we catch the guy down the street. Metro charged him and did my paperwork for me after laughing at my story of the day. Then I went and sat at a site for 6 hours, ate a pizza and cried. It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Proves you are human.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I'm SO glad you went home in mostly one piece at the end of the day, and I respect you for hanging in there, and being open and honest about such a crappy day. Thank you for your service, INccwchris.
    Just cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're wrong....

My father-in-law, God bless 'im, is 86 years old and a surviving veteran of two Pacific invasions in WWII. Bronze Star and Purple Heart winner. Truly a prime example of the Greatest Generation. When things in his life turn to manure - such as the loss of his wife and eldest son within the past year - he's quick to say, "at least no one's shooting at me." I always keep that in mind when faced with my own struggles, however fleeting.

Chris, you'll remember this day and hopefully tell your grandkids about it one day with a big ol' grin on your face. In the meantime, keep the sunny side up and watch your six.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Sorry about your day. I know it doesn't help when you are in the middle of a crappy one, but they do help you to appreciate the good ones.
    Thanks for your service.

just to clarify, not a full LEO. I wear a county uniform but I'm considered private security but with some LEO powers. I can only arrest for felonies and breach of peace misdemeanors(only difference in my powers and a citizens arrest is I am the arresting officer, its not turned over to an IMPD officer who enforces the arrest, I actually make the arrest, do the report, and go to court. I have no powers off duty and to carry I have to have a LTCH off duty. Hold your thanks until I do something worth being thanked for. It's appreciated but not necessary.
    Thylacine likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Senior Moderator
    A "bad" day to me is seeing some young kid gasp for his last breath and die in my arms because someone wasnt paying attention.

Everything else pales in comparison.

Hang in there. It could be alot worse.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

thanks for the wisdom hot guns. btw, love your new avitar

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Sounds like you had a good day, you went home at the end of it with a pulse.
    You followed Rule #1:Go home at the end of the day with a pulse.

Still hope tomorrow is a better one, and sorry this one wasn't the greatest.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

hopefully tomorrow is better, I hate doing traffic control with a passion, but I like money. It helps me buy new toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Proves you are human.
    EXTREMELY human...
    jwhite75 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I'm not into astrology, but something in your starts must have been misaligned. That really was a BAD LUCK day. At least it is over and today should be better.

what toppings on the pizza?
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

VIP Member
    Bummer, Chris. Today is a new day.

VIP Member
    It's a good thing your only bullet was in your shirt pocket! J/K
    thephanatik likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links