UK: Children Arrested...for Playing in a Tree

This is a discussion on UK: Children Arrested...for Playing in a Tree within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I did a search and did not find anything about this, but I apologize in advance if this has been posted here before: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...66&expand=true Excerpt: ...

Thread: UK: Children Arrested...for Playing in a Tree

VIP Member

Angry UK: Children Arrested...for Playing in a Tree

I did a search and did not find anything about this, but I apologize in advance if this has been posted here before:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...66&expand=true

Excerpt:

"To the 12-year-old friends planning to build themselves a den, the cherry tree seemed an inviting source of material.

But the afternoon adventure turned into a frightening ordeal for Sam Cannon, Amy Higgins and Katy Smith after they climbed into the 20ft tree - then found themselves hauled into a police station and locked in cells for up to two hours.

Their shoes were removed and mugshots, DNA samples and mouth swabs were taken.

Officers told the children they had been seen damaging the tree which is in a wooded area of public land near their homes."

This happened right around the time Betty was there, I think.

What has happened to the United Kingdom? Criminals get a "caution," while children are locked up for playing in a tree.
    Last edited by falcon1; August 6th, 2006 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Additional information

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Insanity
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Apparently the UK does not believe in the Pursuit of Happiness. Wait, We established that in 1776.

Sleep safe United Kingdom! These men and laws will protect you from all evil.....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

JD
    Administrator
    WOW those are some hardened criminals....climbing trees, don't those kids know that they aqre supposed to sit in side all day and do nothing but play video games and watch TV...how dare they go out an climb trees and want to build a tree fort...

I hope you can feel the sarcasm....what is the world coming to?
    Next they'll be outlawing crayons...

Assistant Administrator
    Sure sounds crazy when UK Gov has said cops will not be prosecuting a whole load of so called ''petty crimes'' - so what the heck is this if not petty.

Amazing it would seem - nanny takes over.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Criminals get a "caution," while children are locked up for playing in a tree.
    If you think about it, it makes sense. You see, with all the gun control, the criminals still have guns. It's easier for unarmed LEOs to arrest unarmed kids.

And they gotta arrest someone, or they'll look stupid.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

I just found an unnvervingly applicable quotation from "The God Emperor of Dune" by Frank Herbert:

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Administrator

Angry damn kids ~ Look At Their Eyes

Look at them - the little thugs!

They have those Cold, Blank, Lifeless, Tree Killer Eyes.

Why risk officers lives by possibly having them being pelted with cherries or broken sticks or branches by these young wayward punk insubordinate gang of youth.

They should have called in the UK S.W.A.T. with back-up snipers and then fired a few OC cannisters and flash/BANG~grenades up into the tree and knocked those damn little criminal urchins back down to Earth.

Then the brats should have been forcefully "taken down"...flexed cuffed & then immediately been "Good Cop Bad Cop" interrogated to find out what they were really doing up in that tree.

Performing Satanic Rituals Probably.

Only then should mouth DNA swabbing have been taken in order to find out if their individual DNA had been found in any other of the park's Cherry Trees.

If it was up to me...they would rot in jail (without possibility of parole) until they were 21 (forced to live on a diet consisting only of Cherries & Stale Bread) & then required to face criminal charges as adults.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    It's a good thig this was over there and not here, I think we all would have been locked up as kids. I know I would have a rap sheet longer than Santa's wish list.

What a joke.

I hope someone over there really feels as dumb as this looks.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

QK, you ever considered a career as a high school principle?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Administrator

Post ELCruisr

No...too dangerous of a job these days.

This reminds me. ...

As a youngin, we were always hanging out at the playground playing pickup basketball from dawn until way after dusk. Never smoked, drank or caroused. Just played basketball (and about 2/3 of our players played in jr. high school / high school basketball).

We wanted a 3 point line on the basketball court. New rules in school and the school players would be using a 3 point line during the season. Went to city hall to request they paint a 3 point line be painted on the court. Was told it was a good idea, but city hall had no time or money to paint a line. Well, we painted the line after much measuring and re-measuring and chalking an outline first. When this happened, two police cars came screeching onto the playground, lights out, and then arrested all the perpetrators and brought them into city hall (in handcuffs).

Ridiculous!!! There were acts of violence in other parts of the city, but the kids trying to improve the playground got pinched. Kids got lectured, 3-point line stayed.

12 year olds are SO much easier to arrest than armed robbers.

Links