Survived Trip to Illinois

This is a discussion on Survived Trip to Illinois within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As we all know, Illinois is one of the least firearm friendly states. The wife and I (the dog also) went on a trip to ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By canav844

Thread: Survived Trip to Illinois

As we all know, Illinois is one of the least firearm friendly states. The wife and I (the dog also) went on a trip to visit her parents in Springfield. That is another completely long and endless story that will be saved for some other time when we have nothing else to read.

Illinois does not issue or recognize concealed carry permits of any state, so I felt like I had entered the forbidden zone when we crossed the Wabash River from Indiana to Illinois on I-64. You just get that eerie feeling something may go South in a hurry and the firearm will be unavailable.

However, nothing happend. The trip (except for the inlaws) was rather uneventful. Saw the new Lincoln museum and went to a sporting goods place called Sheels (sp?) that was similar to Gander Mtn or Cabela's. I did get to briefly go into an Army/Navy store on MacArthur Blvd. that made me drool. Loads of Military rifles, ie AK's, M16/AR's, M1 Garand's & .30 Carbines, Spanish Mausers and a nice Mosin-Nagant. I didn't get to spend the time needed to see it all, maybe next time. The owner and I chatted, and he has a sign on the door telling the "Liberal Media" not to enter, they are not welcome. Got to love that! Apparently a few years ago someone came in the store and somehow took a shotgun, got some ammo and went downtown to a Courthouse or some other Gov't bldg to shoot and kill someone. I guess the Anti-Gun media blamed him for all of it.

Since we had two vehicles on the trip, I came home with the dog on Friday. I was never so happy to race across the Wabash into Indiana and be in a vastly more gun-friendly state as well as Kentucky and my home state of West Virginia. My wife comes home Sunday. I just hope she is safe rolling around Springfield and vicinity. There are some not-so-safe places and she has to take her mom to get names changed on things. Her dad is dying with prostate and bone cancer and refuses to even admit it is happening. So if you have a few prayers left, now would be a good time to use them for my wife and family.

Glad to be home and reconnect with the DC family.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Welcome back to the land of the free. I haven't been in the Land of the Lost (Illinois) since 1998. If I never go there again it will be too soon, although since my brother lives there, I'll probably have to go there at some point.

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and the family.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Prayers sent! They didn't even question you about your "ATTACK" dog?
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Didn't know they had a sheels in IL; there was one in the mall when I lived in WI, and while the girlfriend was off looking at makeup I could go look at guns. I survived quite a bit of time as a resident and made several trips through getting back and forth to WI. I still live close enough that their gun laws are the only thing that keep me from frequenting several businesses in the state. Might end up crossing the boarder tomorrow, will definitely be passing through in Sept; SA goes high and I minimize the time and cash spent there, but I do my best not to let them control my life so I'm not going to go out of my way for avoidance; keep my self armed with my mind and do my best to avoid circumstances that can get iffy.

Prayers headed your in-laws way, to go through that is hard, to go through it when your children are a distance away is one more compounding stressor
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Prayers sent! They didn't even question you about your "ATTACK" dog?
    LOL! Good one. She wasn't "concealed" so not a problem I suppose. I do have a license for her though!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Links