Building a new PC and want to stress test it...

This is a discussion on Building a new PC and want to stress test it... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I am thinking "Crysis 2" or "Left 4 Dead 2" as a good benchmark for the system but would like input to see if ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Building a new PC and want to stress test it...

So I am thinking "Crysis 2" or "Left 4 Dead 2" as a good benchmark for the system but would like input to see if anyone has a better suggestion for seeing how far I can push it. I used to play Everquest, American MaGee's Alice, Quake 3 Arena, Doom, still play Dead Frontier...

Really am looking for a game that will push the limits of the system... I like first person shooters (duh) but do not mind a little story with the shooting....

Never have been a Wii, XBox, PS person...

ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

ASUS ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9B

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply

Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

It started off as a bare bones upgrade & grew...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Cysis 1 or 2 would do it. Left for dead isnt taht demanding. Alternativley you could download a stress test program that will test what your comp can handle. Basically pushes it to the limit

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    If you are not overclocking you do not need to do a stress test. Intel exclusively test those processors before sale at their stock speeds. Stress test which some are listed below are used to generate large amounts of stress and heat to test if an overclock is stable for a duration of time. That 2500K will probably clock to 4.8 ghz all day long with water cooler or top of the line air cooler. I recommend looking at around 4.0-4.3ghz everyday use. Any thing above that is simply bragging rights but has no practical use.

I have a 2600K that runs @ 4.8 on full water cooling.

If you want to benchmark it for performance numbers there are a few:

Intel Burn test
    Cinebench
    Super Pi
    Prime 95 - This will really generate heat and stress if you overclock
    Unigine Heaven 2.5
    3d Mark Vantage and 2011
    Furmark

The list goes on ....

I recommend you visit hardforum.com where I frequent there also under the name of Tangoseal. There is a lot of good information on that site.

Also with your GPU ( The GTX 560 ) There are a lot of games now that will max that card out. Crysis 2 is not a good benchmark. It was a dedicated console port to PC. It is half @55'd if you ask me.

A good game to really push that card to the brink of destruction is Metro 2033, The Witcher 2, Dirt 3, etc.... Any of the latest and greatest full PC developed DX11 games will push the heck out of it.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Keisukekun and Tangoseal, thanks for the suggestions

I would rather try to PLAY the system to its potential than to try to make it cry with a stress test program that just analyzes how much higher math the processors can handle....

Metro & The Witcher really look like fun. Any other suggestions are welcome... Never been a big fan of car racing games, but Dirt 3 sure looks like it has potential.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Yeh I believe hes right if I remember correctly Crysis 2 actually has lower specs than crysis 1. Metro 2033, stalker, or crysis 1 would do it. Could also try Shogun 2 or empire total war as those are demanding with 13000+ units on the screen.

You could also try GTA IV with iCenhancer realism texture packs that have come out that really push teh envelope

http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1184814p1.html

- Roy Batty

I just point a 44 mag at mine and say "DO YA FEEL LUCKY TODAY,WELL DO YA DELL"if it doesn't lock up it's good to go
    RevolvingMag and thephanatik like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I just point a 44 mag at mine and say "DO YA FEEL LUCKY TODAY,WELL DO YA DELL"if it doesn't lock up it's good to go
    I only draw on mine when it locks up... I usually just try to ignore it until it needs to be put back into it's place.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I only draw on mine when it locks up... I usually just try to ignore it until it needs to be put back into it's place.
    I keep my .308 right next to the puter' when it acts funky I just point at it and suddenly it works again?? Weird.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Aliens Versus Predator is AMAZING!

Aliens vs. Predator (video game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I downloaded it from Steamworks for $19.99.

Steam (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    - Roy Batty

I suggest that you follow the requirements of the game rather than testing the system for any game. In case your system specification matches or exceeds the requirement, there is no need to test it. Avoid over clocking as it leads to a fall in the durability of the system.

Sponsored Links