Any Lexus LS owners here?

This is a discussion on Any Lexus LS owners here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I found a 2005 LS430 yesterday for sale and I am considering the purchase. It has 84K miles on it and the exterior as well ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By deadguy

Thread: Any Lexus LS owners here?

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Any Lexus LS owners here?

I found a 2005 LS430 yesterday for sale and I am considering the purchase. It has 84K miles on it and the exterior as well as the interior that I could see through the windows are flawless. Carfax report provided at the 66K mile mark was clean. Haven't seen one since the last 20K miles. Any thoughts on its projected reliability from those that own one or one similar to it?
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

2. Remove Ads

I own a 2005 RX330, I think that it shares an engine and tranny. it has close to 100k miles, as long as the one you are looking at has a decent maintenance history and you keep up the maintenance it well it should last a long time, I am hoping to get another 50k miles out of it

VIP Member
    My mom has one. A couple weeks ago the battery died, so I jumped it from my Expedition. That jump blew four different fuses in her box, including two proprietary ones.

The dealer told me that it states in the manual that Lexuses are not designed to be jumped, and that you have to either trickle-charge or replace a battery when it's low.

It's a super-nice car, but it's a rare occasion that she gets it serviced for less than a grand a pop.

The service fee is what scares me on those cars. I'm sure every repair is an arm and a leg. Routine maintenance would be a must as long as it has no history of problems.

My '01 Infiniti has 188K on it and i'm debating this big time. I hate change.....

First ask "Has the timing belt been replaced and when?" That's a cool $1K to be done at 60K. Don't know if it needs it every 60K or not. The reason is to change it they have to disassemble the top end of the engine and they replace the water pump while there because it's only about a $150 part and labor is almost free once they're in there. Along that line, the starter is located under the intake manifold so if there's any issue with it get it done at the same time.

We love our 1998 LS400 even though we have paid for all this stuff in the last couple years. It only has 75K on it and we only drive about 7K miles a year, so our expectation is that it be the last car we own - only about 15 years to go.

Remember that a Lexus is just a Toyota with a few bells & whistles and a hefty price tag...

Take your Lexus to a Toyota dealer for all service and the $1k repairs become $50 oil changes.

Want to save a bundle? Buy a Toyota instead.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

OldLincoln I'll inquire about the timing belt if I decide to call them. Having been the owner of an Infiniti for last 11 years I know all about every one of those repairs you mentioned, except the timing belt. 188k miles and never had a problem with it. Lots of OTHER problems though.

And yeah that fact that it is a Toyota means it should last another 15 years. That is my main consideration with this car.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Remember that a Lexus is just a Toyota with a few bells & whistles and a hefty price tag...

Take your Lexus to a Toyota dealer for all service and the $1k repairs become $50 oil changes.

Want to save a bundle? Buy a Toyota instead.
    while a lexus and a toyota do share some components, and even some models are similar, there is a difference in build quality and styling between the two, if toyota makes it for you great! and to those with huge maintenance charges, find a different mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    OldLincoln I'll inquire about the timing belt if I decide to call them. Having been the owner of an Infiniti for last 11 years I know all about every one of those repairs you mentioned, except the timing belt. 188k miles and never had a problem with it. Lots of OTHER problems though.

And yeah that fact that it is a Toyota means it should last another 15 years. That is my main consideration with this car.
    the timing belt is something that is a book repair, the book says it has to be replaced at x miles and every dealer will try to get you to do the costly fix, however many have ignored the advice with no ill effects. YMMV

Buddy of mine has had a 1999 Lexus LS400 for about six years now. He bought it used. He absolutely LOVES the car. I ride in it a lot, and it is a perfect ride. I mean, just perfect. Minimal noise, engine smooth as butter, optimal ride quality. And this full-size car weighs in at 4400 lbs and has 300hp engine, yet gets 26mpg on freeway, even with 140,000 miles on the odometer!

I'd buy a gently-used Lexus in a minute, if I was looking for a luxury car.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Buddy of mine has had a 1999 Lexus LS400 for about six years now. He bought it used. He absolutely LOVES the car. I ride in it a lot, and it is a perfect ride. I mean, just perfect. Minimal noise, engine smooth as butter, optimal ride quality. And this full-size car weighs in at 4400 lbs and has 300hp engine, yet gets 26mpg on freeway, even with 140,000 miles on the odometer!

I'd buy a gently-used Lexus in a minute, if I was looking for a luxury car.
    I actually have my eyes on a 69 Stingray but I can't haul 3 kids in it...legally.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I actually have my eyes on a 69 Stingray but I can't haul 3 kids in it...legally.
    LOL, I hear ya. As one who has owned many hot rod Chevies, both new and old - I would recommend buying a C5 or C6 Vette. The old ones are real rattletraps and not very comfortable, with virtually no amenities. Yeah, old Vettes are kinda cool, but if you're gonna be driving it much, then I'd get a newer one. Good luck!
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Pretty much decided against buying anything at this point.

Luckily, I saved every receipt on the car I have now over the 11 years I have owned it. Oil changes, tires, breaks, engine repairs, etc. Every last dime is accounted for. Since the payoff date, I have averaged only $75.00 month to maintain this car; all services, repairs, tires, brakes, batteries, parts, etc. included. Not worth taking on a car payment in my mind.

Besides, it would cut into my gun buying and I can NOT allow that to happen.
    WHEC724 likes this.

Links