Awesome day yesterday

Awesome day yesterday

This is a discussion on Awesome day yesterday within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Guns and motorcycles are my thing. They are what I enjoy. I'm careful not to cast my son in my own image on all things, ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By Retiredonce
  • 1 Post By ArkhmAsylm

Thread: Awesome day yesterday

VIP Member

Awesome day yesterday

Guns and motorcycles are my thing. They are what I enjoy. I'm careful not to cast my son in my own image on all things, and let him choose the things that he enjoys when it comes to recreation.

Saturday night, he lamented that he's the only boy in his class (He's in 5th grade) that has never shot a 'real' gun. Whec is suddenly filled with inner joy, and reminds the boy that he has never asked to go shooting with me. His eyes get as big as saucers and he's grinning ear-to-ear now. I noted that he's done well for the last year in gun safety when it comes to his BB gun, and after he recalls the 4 basic rules of gun safety to me, I tell him that we can go shoot my .22 rifle tomorrow.

Fast-forward to Sunday after church. He said he was a little worried about how loud it would be (and the kick, LOL). So I showed him how to load a single .22 short into the rifle, and had him aim at a target that I had set out at 75'. He still flinched, but was amazed that he only heard a click, followed by the sound of the bullet hitting the wood. 'Half a box of shorts later, he was drilling dead on, but dissapointed that the rounds wouldn't shoot through a 2 by 6 that I had set up. He asked if he could shoot something that would go through it. I handed him a .22 long round and had him load it up. After a much more satisfying report, he was delighted to see that it punched a nice 1/4" hole out of the back of the board. It was 'on' after that. He wanted nothing to do with .22 shorts anymore.

I backed him up to 100' and let him cook through a box where he was drilling pretty much everything he aimed at. He was also extremely careful - no safety violations. Last night when I went to round him up for bed, he was at his computer and had discovered 'Buds Gun Shop' and was checking out the Crickett, and asking it if might show up under the Christmas tree this year. I think it just might.
    TSiWRX likes this.

Glad to hear it Whec. I'd say you are the type of person who deserves a good day. I'm sure the boy will find he likes your way in other things as well.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

That does truly sound like an awesome day! Glad to hear you, your son, and America in general was blessed with that kind of a day. More people should have days like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Good for you, and good for him. If I'm thinking correctly 5th grade = 10 yo. Perhaps a squirrel hunt might be in order?
    Blessings
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Good for you, and good for him. If I'm thinking correctly 5th grade = 10 yo. Perhaps a squirrel hunt might be in order?
    Blessings
    It's funny you say that. He actually asked if we could go shoot some squirrels. I just reminded him that unless it was a nuisance critter (venomous snake, beaver, 2-legged dirtbag, etc.), that we eat what we kill. As long as he was willing to eat squirrel, we could certainly go kill a few. It's been a while since I made some, but I see some squirrel stew in my near future.

I'm really looking forward to some deer hunting with him someday.

Gman/Joker - thanks. Yes, yesterday was one of those days when I could bask in the Blessings of being an American and how good our country still is.
    Stubborn likes this.

Congrats! Shooting with the boys lasts a lifetime!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Giving a young man memories that will last a lifetime isn't a bad way to spend an afternoon. Sounds like you *both* had a great day!
    640girl likes this.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Congrats to you and the young lad. You may have just started somthing that will last your lifetime.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Congratulations. When you get ready to take him squirrel hunting, try this recipe. It's easy to do and can cook while you're out doing other things.

Ingredients:
    2 squirrels - skinned, gutted, and cut into pieces
    4 large potatoes, quartered
    1 pound carrots, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped 4 onions, sliced
    2 cups water
    1/4 medium head cabbage
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions:
    1. In a slow cooker, place the squirrel meat, potatoes, carrots, green bell pepper, onions, water, cabbage, salt and ground black pepper.
    2. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Sorry for going a bit OT, but I had to point out the irony of these two posts showing up in this order:
    Hate My Life - Awesome Day.jpg

Sometimes life throws a bit of a curve ball.

(I didn't want to urinate on revolvingmag's rough time by posting there - figured the lighter mood on this side was more befitting...)

Congrats on the milestone, both your son's & yours!
    TSiWRX likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Links