MRE's and survival food

This is a discussion on MRE's and survival food within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Steve66 that is just wrong... funny as hell, but just wrong....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: MRE's and survival food

Steve66 that is just wrong... funny as hell, but just wrong.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Addition: This beef is VERY GOOD to add into spaghetti sauce & stews for an addition of real beef.
    I buy a lot of it locally & cook with it all the time.
    It's not cheap but, it's good, healthy, tender, hormone and antibiotic free beef that has a "Cool Dry" shelf life of at least 10 years.

It's being sold on Ebay these days. It's U.S.A. Ohio raised, packed, beef. It's fully cooked IN THE SEALED CAN so the juices are all good also. Nothing added except a bit of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    It just kind of rubs me the wrong way when people sit there and slam those who prepare for emergencies, (whatever their reason) and then in the same breath, ask for their help. Like, "Oh, I just realized (for the first time) if I lose my electricity for 10 days during a winter storm my family is going to have a tough time... But I'm not a nut case like those other preppers! But where do you get your stuff, and what do you recommend?" It just shows poor form and a lack of respect for others.
    You're right.. now that I think about it, I guess I was being a bit disrespectful. I guess it didn't occur to me that some of the very types of people I was trying to dis-associate myself with would actually be answering my question.

I like what AMvn6869 said, I think it fits best with what I'm trying to accomplish. My goal is to be prepared for a short term crisis, not a long-term. I guess my philosophy is that if the world is coming to an end, I don't see any reason to continue to struggle to survive just to see how long I can make it. I'm not an out-door type person and neither is the rest of my family. I believe in those extreme conditions, I think the usefulness of my life is done. if I have to spend the rest of my life in a cave, trying to start fires and protect my stash of MRE's then there's nothing left to live for.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Steve666, that is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. I literally had tears running down my cheeks I was laughing so hard! And it doesn't matter to me that you didn't break in up into paragraphs. I was so engrossed I didn't even notice.
    garyacman likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

PackerBackerToo likes this.
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Raman noodles, spam, canned salmon & Tuna, beans, rice,

I keep alot of the above on hand and also have chickens for eggs and cattle so I've got beef :) and I always have deer jerky, elk jerky, antelope jerky, etc. from hunting

Administrator
    Don't forget about fruit jams and preserves. They don't call them "preserves" for no reason.

Vacuum packed dry roasted nuts are cool also.

Anything you buy contained in clear glass you can wrap with Aluminum foil to block light.
    That will buy you a bit more storage time.
    You can always use the extra foil later on.

BTW: Raw unfiltered HONEY stores forever.

Given the impeding hurricane that is about to hit somewhere from the Carolinas to the Chesapeake Bay I have found myself very unprepared. I am currently TDY in Oklahoma and was originally supposed to return home this Friday on the eve of when the hurricane will either hit or pass by with a glancing blow. I am not at home to prepare my house for the hurricane, and I don't have an emergency stash of food, water, first aid kit, etc.

The work I am doing looks like it will be wrapping up a day early so I have changed my flight to get me back home on Thursday which would hopefully give me time to make preparations should the hurricane put its crosshairs on Charleston.

I consider the past 24 hours a good lesson learned on how unprepared I am and unfortuneately had to learn the hard way. I look forward to more responses on how to keep a stash of emergency food and water. I especially liked that suggestion about having the means to purify water as opposed to keeping gallons upon gallons of water.

Here are a couple of great preparedness resources.

TheEpicenter.com is a great source for MRE's. They sell the most, with the most current manufacture dates, the largest varieties, and they sell MRE components (entrees, side dishes, bread/buns/crackers, condiments, deserts, drinks, etc.). They also have Freeze Dried foods from Mountain House and Alpine Aire by the case, in #10 cans and individual pouches. They also sell Dehydrated Food, grains, legumes and sprouting seeds. Also water storage items. I've bought from them on several occasions and have always had excellent results.

Another great source for preparedness supplies I've been dealing with for at least 15 years is Nitro-Pak. Much of the same as EpiCenter.com. It's always good to comparison shop these places because prices can vary quite a bit on any given day. Also great source for long term water storage supplies.

If you treat your water with a product called Aerobic-07 or Oxy-Stabile, you can store your water for 5 years without having to rotate it every year. Both are essentially the same product. I've used Aerobic-07 since the mid 1990's and it works as advertised. Great stuff you shouldn't be without.

The third one I can recommend is Emergency Essentials. They also have a pretty good blog with lots of great information.

There are tons of places online where you can get MRE's and long term food supplies, however these three are considered the Big Three in the industry. They all have been around well over 20 years, and they seem to have the freshest made and packaged food stuffs. They have good reputations and I have purchased from all three of them over the years.

Again, you can save a lot of money if you comparison shop.

If you are looking for bulk water containers to store say 30 or 55 gallon drums, do not get them from Nitro-Pak. They are way too expensive through them. I have found The Ready Store to have the best prices on 30 gallon water barrels.

They also have something called Water Bricks. They are kind of pricy, but they are 3.5 gallon water containers that interlock and stack. They are very versatile in that you can stack them into a tower and just pull out individual containers as you need them. Each 3.5 gallon Water Brick comes with a carry handle and a water spigot. You can buy a few of them, or kits for 28 gallons, 56 gallons, or 112 gallons. Again, those are not cheap, but you are paying for a modular system which provides you a lot of creative storage configurations.

I hope a few of these sources help you out.
    MikeNice likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    Steve66 that is just wrong... funny as hell, but just wrong.
    Funny story but, yes, it IS wrong. An MRE, in it's ENTIRETY (all food and drink products), has about 1,250 calories. If it had 3,000 calories, Ranger School wouldn't suck half as bad...

Also, there is nothing dehydrated in MREs (unless you count the shakes) - the dehydrated fruit went the way of the dodo about 15 years ago.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    I buy the Tradewinds tea ~ Unsweetened in the gallon containers when they are on sale.
    I drink the tea & rinse the jugs.
    They are thick & sturdy with good screw tops.

Free water storage containers.

I must have close to 200 of them so far.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

You need to be careful when buying MREs (or any long term food, really), and do research. There's a lot of sub-standard stuff out there. Like a lot of people, I got shocked into the whole prep thing after Katrina, and rushed to get MREs. Of course a lot of unethical fake-MRE places also rushed into the marketplace. I didn't research and got non-mil MREs.

Fast forward a few years. Their advertised shelf life is only 7 years..you can try for more, but there are no guarantees, especially with off-brand stuff. As the first of the MREs were aging out, I started eating them -- horrible! Miserable tasting, way too salty for a normal diet.

That's the challenge with any long term food you buy: what do you when the shelf life is reaching an end? Ideally, it's food that's part of your actual rotation, and you just eat it. You don't want to find out, on top of everything else when TSHTF, that your MREs are a) unbearably bad tasting and b) your body can't deal with them, unlike, say, a young, fit 22 year old soldier. Or, in normal life, you don't want to buy food you can't eat as part of your rotation.

Thus, I'm off MREs as a concept. I have Mountain House for really long term, but for near-term, there are lots of real food items with long shelf lives. Just one item: canned salmon -- not as tasty as fresh, but very edible, and you can usually find cans with an end date 4+ years out. Regular white rice in a bag will last at least a year. Ditto, most canned foods. I personally no longer see MREs as filling a niche for me.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Just something I'd thought about for a while. I'm not one of those survivalist nuts that thinks the world is going to end by plague, nuclear war, asteroid impact, etc. But there are always possibilities that might make food difficult to come by for a short period of days to weeks. Hurricane Katrina or the recent disaster in Japan are good examples. So I've been thinking maybe I should stock up more on some non perishables. I don't want to can or vacuum seal anything myself. I'd be afraid I would do it wrong and wind up with botulism or something. I've seen that you can buy MRE's on eBay, but they are kind of expensive. But on the other hand, I was wondering what some good alternatives might be. For example, beef jerky (and all of the variants) will store for years and there are lots of little fruit cups you can buy that are sealed in their own little pudding-style cups. That would give you protein and some basic vitamins. Also I've seen that places like Academy and Cabella's stock "camping" food that is pre vacuum sealed and freeze dried meals. I've never tried any of it, though. Hormel also makes those "compleats" meals for about $2.00 a piece. I've tried several of them. They range from horrible to edible, but none are particularly delicious. Why do I care what they taste like, you might ask? Well, since most of these products have a shelf life of a few years, I figure the best way to keep it all current is to actually eat it from time to time to cycle the old stuff out. So, just wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions on this.

Water is certainly not a problem, we drink lots of bottled water around here, so we always have a few weeks supply of that on hand.
    After many years of "talking about it," I finally have stocked up on some stuff and just put up 400lbs of rice and pinto beans (200 ea.) The cost of the food averaged less than $1.00 per pound bulk purchased in 50lb bags. While very basic, this would keep you going for awhile. Each time we shop, we buy SOMETHING that will last awhile. I also, after a couple years of researching and "talking," broke down and bought the materials to store this myself: Pails, lids, mylar bags, oxy absorbers. Bought all on line for less than $140.00. I found a site on line that explained the "storage process" WITH PICTURES and I was on my way. Here is the link: American Preppers Network: Storing Beans and Rice in Mylar Bags and Five Gallon Buckets Also, here is the link where I bought the storage supplies. It's the cheapest I've found and stuff was delivered (To Michigan) in less than 10 days. Here is their link: Plastic Barrels & Drums As Low As $29.95 at BayTecContainers.com I was afraid of tackling the storage process, but once I read the "instructions" and saw how simple it was, I actually felt a little stupid for stalling so long. Anyway, hope this helps you out. BTW, with the oxy absorbers, properly sealing lids and mylar bags, this method, from everything I've read, should protect your beans and rice (dried, freeze dried, etc.) for 30 years. It's really not that hard. Also, I'm retired and have time, so you don't have to do it all at once. Buy your storage supplies (or some of them) buy some of your dried foods and do a bucket or two at a time. That way it's less expensive and each pail you put up protects you that much longer. Also, I just re-read my post and the link at Baytec mentions $29.95 containers. The pails I bought (lots of e) were, ABOUT $14.00 per lot.

Good luck!
    Last edited by dcselby1; August 23rd, 2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by vn6869 View Post
    What you are talking about is what FEMA, the Red Cross and other agencies have been trying to get across to people, to had a 72 hour supply of food, shelter and water available. Which by the way has been changed lately to 7 days worth. After Katrina, it was shown it would take over 72 hours to restore services.
    And if there's a disaster on a regional or National level?

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    You need to be careful when buying MREs (or any long term food, really), and do research. There's a lot of sub-standard stuff out there. Like a lot of people, I got shocked into the whole prep thing after Katrina, and rushed to get MREs. Of course a lot of unethical fake-MRE places also rushed into the marketplace. I didn't research and got non-mil MREs.
    Good point about MRE's!

And that is why the only source I posted to buy MRE's are from the Big Three Suppliers in the industry. They only sell MRE's which are fresh and are the civilian versions made by the same government contractors who make them for the military. Which are from AmeriQual, Sopakco, MRESTAR & Bridgeford (which makes little "hot pocket" type sandwiches used in SOCOM's First Strike Rations. All four of those manufacturers are US Dept. of Defense contractors to supply the military.

Epicenter provides an excellent "fact sheets" on their website regarding MRE quality, storage considerations, how long they can be stored in various temperature ranges, and nutritional information.

When it comes to MRE's I will only by from the three vendors I listed in my earlier post.

Also, in my personal supply inventory, MRE's only make up a very small amount of stored food. Probably less than 10%. I think it's good to have some MRE's on hand because they do have some very good logistical & strategic uses in your disaster food supply. But the bulk of my stored food are definitely NOT just MRE's.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links