MRE's and survival food

This is a discussion on MRE's and survival food within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Bark'n I think it's good to have some MRE's on hand because they do have some very good logistical uses in your ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: MRE's and survival food

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I think it's good to have some MRE's on hand because they do have some very good logistical uses in your disaster food supply.
    Depending on your game plan, I can see this.

Look at what the .mil uses MREs for, and what they don't. I get the impression they're for being out on patrol...basically to "replace meals" for troops on the move, likely for a relatively short duration. But I don't think they serve MREs as primary meals on any kind of base.

So I see them as reasonable portable food for some short-lived objective when you're away from home. I don't see them as your primary food source for weeks on end. If uber-fit 20somethings aren't expected to thrive on them I certainly wouldn't.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice View Post
    Check out Wise Company LLC. They make stuff with a shelf life of 25 years. Then you can pick up some beans and rice to go along with it. You will still need a good multi vitamin to keep everything in balance, plus water.

You can get everything for a single person to last thirty days for under $500. That includes a camp stove and fuel for cooking.
    Just be sure to note that the Wise Company foods are not real meat. The protein is either soy or some other vegetable protein. Just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Depending on your game plan, I can see this.

Look at what the .mil uses MREs for, what they don't. I get the impression they're for being out on patrol...basically to "replace meals" for troops on the move, likely for a relatively short duration. But I don't think they serve MREs as primary meals on any kind of base.

So I see them as reasonable portable food for some short-lived objective when you're away from home. I don't see them as your primary food source for weeks on end. If uber-fit 20somethings aren't expected to thrive on them I certainly wouldn't.
    Exactly.

They also make an excellent high-end item for bartering, if you need to help a friend out. You can barter and give them a couple MRE's which are a complete nutritious meal in a small, durable package.

When people are hungry, they will trade away a lot of good items to get a decent hot meal, and MRE's fit the bill as a barter currency.
    MikeNice likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    We have a 2 pantry system setup. The kitchen pantry contains a couple weeks worth of food and supplies that we are currently consuming. The second pantry is more like the food store. There is around 3 months of food storage consisting of the regular foods we eat. Rice, pasta, beans, potatoe flakes, flour, sugar, salt, etc. There are also some freeze dried canisters of fruit and eggs from a very good outfit called Augason Farms. I highly recommend them. There are also a few MRE's that we use when hunting/hiking, and for emergencies.

We buy a little extra each week of the foods and basic goods we routinely use. It has taken us about 5 months to store up the 3 months of food. Our goal is to reach 6 months of quality foods we routinely use. Hopefully be December we will be there.

We also store water as well. Our plan is designed to cover disruptions in the food supply, civil unrest, and regional disasters, not end of the world type stuff.

I'm stocked up on Mountain House #10 cans. They have a shelf life of 25+ years. They seem to be really hard to get presently. I also have more military MRE'S than you can shake a M-16 at, but they're approaching six years old now and about to expire. I hate to pitch them, lots of money tied up in em. I know, I'll feed em to my chickens!

VIP Member
    MREs technically don't have a set expiration date - there are just too many variables in how they've been stored and cared for. Ones that have been kept cool and protected can be good for 10 years and more. On the other hand, you don't want to have to guess if your food stores are any good once the incident that makes you NEED your food stores has started...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Emergency Food Rations

3 days of food for 4$

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    MREs technically don't have a set expiration date - there are just too many variables in how they've been stored and cared for. Ones that have been kept cool and protected can be good for 10 years and more. On the other hand, you don't want to have to guess if your food stores are any good once the incident that makes you NEED your food stores has started...

i still have and EAT mre's dated from 1992
    the candy and tabasco are bad... everything else has been fine

Very nutritious and said to cure hunger of an entire village of people starving in third world countries. Hard to find, but stores forever.

QKShooter likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I picked up a dehydrator a couple years back at Bass Pro. My kids love dried fruit. A healthy snack that is also "survival food". I also make my own jerky. It is way cheaper than buying it pre made and is simple to do. You can also make jerky out of just about any kind of meat you like.

But if even that is more than you want to take on, you can pretty much get what you need at a grocery store. My "hurricane" shelf has envelopes of Tuna, cans of Spam, and a variety of other foods with a long shelf life. If you stock stuff you normally eat all you have to do is remember to rotate it out once or twice a year. If you look at the "use by" date on most canned goods at the store you might be surprised at how long they are good for.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Administrator
    Stored canned foods can change in color, taste, & nutritional value & still be edible.
    If the actual cans are intact and not bulged out, dented or caved in the contents will almost always still be OK.

BTW: The BumbleBee canned salmon often goes on sale at CVS at 2 cans for $5.00 & sometimes 2 cans for $4.00.
    The expiration date on those is now 2017.
    The salmon is cooked inside the can & is excellent salmon but, if you are a picky eater you will need to kind of "sort it all out" with a fork before you consume it because the skin is still on the fish & the spine is in there and the bones. The rib bones are cooked soft and not really a problem.
    When I prepare it for Mrs. QK I sort all of the good looking stuff off to one side & then everything else I mash up and give it to the dog & she loves it.
    Salmon & sardines packed in olive oil are considered to be two of the most ideal "food for humans" so stock up on those.

One can of salmon & rice will keep you going for a good long day - so for less than 3 bucks it's a very inexpensive "stay alive" food.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Very nutritious and said to cure hunger of an entire village of people starving in third world countries. Hard to find, but stores forever.

I actually bought a can of that unicorn meat from thinkgeek last Christmas. I like to give out a selection of gag gifts at Christmas so that was one of them. It actually brought the biggest laughs out of all of them. Especially once he opened the can and pulled out the "remains."
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Administrator
    So....if there is a scenario like a deadly pandemic where you could easily survive the initial first wave if you & yours just stayed indoors and away from the general population for one month. What do you do when you run out of food in 1.5 weeks?

Then you're left with some terrible options.

You venture out into the panic & mayhem to acquire more food & either contract Viral X & take it back home to the family - or perhaps you do not make it back at all leaving remaining family members to fend for themselves.

Or you could all just stay put and comfort one another while y'all starve to death together. Or find a public refuge/camp/containment center where there is food but, everybody is getting sick.

An airborne pandemic IS possible. Just because the last one bombed out is not indicative that the next one will also. Viruses constantly mutate.

You survive the first wave and your chances for survival and a return to normal life increase dramatically.

Do a GOOGLE Image search for Ebola.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I don't see any reason to continue to struggle to survive just to see how long I can make it. I'm not an out-door type person and neither is the rest of my family. I believe in those extreme conditions, I think the usefulness of my life is done. if I have to spend the rest of my life in a cave, trying to start fires and protect my stash of MRE's then there's nothing left to live for."

Ask yourself right now...What exact day after you run out of food do you decide to shoot your family members in the head to end their suffering?
    It a tough question to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    You're right.. now that I think about it, I guess I was being a bit disrespectful. I guess it didn't occur to me that some of the very types of people I was trying to dis-associate myself with would actually be answering my question.

I like what AMvn6869 said, I think it fits best with what I'm trying to accomplish. My goal is to be prepared for a short term crisis, not a long-term. I guess my philosophy is that if the world is coming to an end, I don't see any reason to continue to struggle to survive just to see how long I can make it. I'm not an out-door type person and neither is the rest of my family. I believe in those extreme conditions, I think the usefulness of my life is done. if I have to spend the rest of my life in a cave, trying to start fires and protect my stash of MRE's then there's nothing left to live for.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

What does the 2013 check date mean?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links