MRE's and survival food

This is a discussion on MRE's and survival food within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM What does the 2013 check date mean? Go Here: MREInfo.com - MRE Date Codes...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: MRE's and survival food

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    What does the 2013 check date mean?
    Go Here:
    MREInfo.com - MRE Date Codes
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

When I was in the Marines in the middle 70's we were eating C-Rats from the Korean War.

I do not have the list saved on this lap-top but I found a web site that listed the shelf life of common consumer food goods, by manufacturer. It listed the stated expiration time and the time it would still be good, I recall SPAM had an incredibly long "good" time period.

Do a web search using "shelf life" as part of the search, things like "food stuff shelf life" etc. and you should find some good info.

Administrator
    TWINKIES - will still be edible (IF you could call them "edible" in the first place) for at least 25 years without refrigeration.
    I saw that on the show "Life After People"

IF...the Zombies, The Black Death, or the Giant Meteor doesn't do ya in...the Chemically Laden TWINKIES will for sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "When I was in the Marines in the middle 70's we were eating C-Rats from the Korean War."

The greatest military unstoppable fighting machine in the history of civilization on Planet Earth eating C-Rats left over from the dad-blamed Korean War.
    Unreal.

Administrator
    Slightly Off Topic but, related general info.

The expiration date on prescription medications is actually the date that the meds are guaranteed to work at full strength. The vast majority of meds will still be OK well beyond that expiration date. So for last ditch survival use don't toss expired meds away. Store them in a cool, dry, place away from UV light.
    When you have nothing - something even at partial-strength almost always trumps nothing at full strength.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    When I was in the Marines in the middle 70's we were eating C-Rats from the Korean War.

I do not have the list saved on this lap-top but I found a web site that listed the shelf life of common consumer food goods, by manufacturer. It listed the stated expiration time and the time it would still be good, I recall SPAM had an incredibly long "good" time period.

Do a web search using "shelf life" as part of the search, things like "food stuff shelf life" etc. and you should find some good info.
    Reminds me of ROTC. They gave us rats on weekend exercises. I once ate a can where the contents were packaged in 1958.

Peanut butter (fat is high in calories, anabolic, and can be converted to almost anything the body needs), dehydrated/canned fruits and vegetables, oatmeal, beans, water filter, topo-map of nearby water sources (we move frequently), and we could make it 30 days fasting if necessary.

Imodium AD because dehydration is more dangerous than starvation. A book of edible plants is also useful.

Good rule of thumb for survival requirements: 4 minutes without air, 4 days without water, 4 weeks without food.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Slightly Off Topic but, related general info.

The expiration date on prescription medications is actually the date that the meds are guaranteed to work at full strength. The vast majority of meds will still be OK well beyond that expiration date. So for last ditch survival use don't toss expired meds away. Store them in a cool, dry, place away from UV light.
    When you have nothing - something even at partial-strength almost always trumps nothing at full strength.
    This is true, however, you really should ask your pharmacist. There are a few drugs out there, tetracycline for example that start to break down into toxic compounds after they reach their expiration date. I know there are others out there like that, but tetracycline is one I know of for sure.

Fortunately, tetracycline isn't used a whole lot anymore as newer antibiotics have come to market which are more effective. However, it is still prescribed from time to time as it's cheaply priced and more affordable than some of the more expensive ones.

But to be on the safe side, it would be a good idea to consult your pharmacist.
    10thmtn and QKShooter like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

We just buy some extra canned food with every shopping trip. Some dried food items as well.

Bleach can be used to sterilize water for drinking. It'll taste funny, but you can drink it after it has set for a while.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    We just buy some extra canned food with every shopping trip. Some dried food items as well.

Bleach can be used to sterilize water for drinking. It'll taste funny, but you can drink it after it has set for a while.
    I did a little bit of research on this and found out that the magic numbers are 8 and 16. 8 drops of regular, non-scented, good quality (Clorox regular) bleach to 1 gal. of clear water, aggitated and allowed to sit for at least 30 minutes. If the water is cloudy or suspect, taken from a puddle etc., then it's 16 drops of bleach per 1 gallon of water just as a rule of thumb.

About 6 months ago, I filled up about 8 gallon milk jugs with clear tap water and did the bleach thing to it when we were expecting long power outages from an incoming storm. Granted, I didn't experiment with puddle water or anything, but I took one out to check on it just the other day and there was absolutely no weird smell to it at all and the water is as pure and clear as the day I filled the jugs. Didn't do a taste test either but it smelled better than airport drinking water and way cleaner than a public pool.

So for a way to purify water, that's probably the easiest way that I can think of. And if you had to leave home for whatever reason, one gallon of bleach that you can pack up will purify about 1,600 gallons of water.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Administrator
    Great worthwhile addition. I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    This is true, however, you really should ask your pharmacist. There are a few drugs out there, tetracycline for example that start to break down into toxic compounds after they reach their expiration date. I know there are others out there like that, but tetracycline is one I know of for sure.

Fortunately, tetracycline isn't used a whole lot anymore as newer antibiotics have come to market which are more effective. However, it is still prescribed from time to time as it's cheaply priced and more affordable than some of the more expensive ones.

But to be on the safe side, it would be a good idea to consult your pharmacist.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links