Annoying Phrases

This is a discussion on Annoying Phrases within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "synergy" "in the weeds" "buttonology" (referring to teaching someone what each button or switch does on a piece of equipment)...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Annoying Phrases

"synergy"
    "in the weeds"
    "buttonology" (referring to teaching someone what each button or switch does on a piece of equipment)

2. Remove Ads

"orientate" (as opposed to the proper "orient") - "let me 'orientate' you to my training area..."
    "learnings" (as opposed to "lessons")
    asking "how ya doin?" when you don't really care to know
    "low hanging fruit"
    "challenges" in lieu of "problems"
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Community Organizer
    Xader likes this.

"in harm's way"......usually stated solemnly by a politician who has never been remotely close to harm or got in its way.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I am caught up in a reorganization - every time a new decision (most often more layoffs) is made, we hear "moving forward". I have meard "moving forward" so often in the last year that I may seek to add it to the list of allowable self-defense actions......felony verbal assault.
    Bombsaway likes this.

"Good to go" that phrase makes me cringe, can't stand it!

JEC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombsaway View Post
    not really a phrase, but constant overuse of the word "like".

i.e. I was, like, so happy...
    And lately it seems some people are having trouble responding without the first word being "ABSOLUTLY"

"Issues" instead of "problems".
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    "lol"- I see those letters and I want to shoot people in the face. Not really. But... yeah.
    "Do me a favor?" - And it's derivatives, especially from management.
    "Like"- Only when over-used.
    "It is what it is"- It's about to be my fist in your face. HARD.
    Bombsaway and jtmoose like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Wink Paradigm Shifts and Other Cataclysmic Events

Paradigm Shifts and Other Cataclysmic Events

As I sat contemplating the stain on the ceiling from a leaking roof, I decided I needed a Mission Statement. Not just some boring, insightful yet obtuse document I’d write and then file away forever forgotten, but a real one. A truly meaningful, carefully crafted mission statement that reflected my continuing pursuit of excellence. One that reflected the paradigm shift that had me in complete turmoil.

I reached into my past, to the golden days of endlessly roaming the halls of St. Peats in that garden spot of the world, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma. (How original those pioneers were!) I had been in search of a world class mentor, an intellectual giant, to aid in my quest for the ultimate accounting truth. Like a pig finding a walnut, I discovered what I sought in the person of one Ducky Rockworth. A man’s man. A man that never uttered a cliché he didn’t believe original. A man of words. A man of letters. A man of action. A giant in his own mind. I fell under his intellectual sway, I swooned. I had found, in this cowtown of cowtowns, my mentor.

He was a true one-minute manager. From his ownership of zero-based budgeting to his inspirational leadership by example, he led the office on the path to continuous quality improvement, principle centered leadership, all the while acting with urgency, always embracing his seven habits, as he was so highly effective. He was “win-win”, an intellectual without compare, he was always thinking outside the box. He had a vision, he sharpened his saw continually, he was always moving everyone’s cheese. He had perfected the one-minute follow up, he was adored by the partners, idolized by the managers, and considered a god by the staff, those dolts.

He was an expert at avoiding responsibility unless compensation and idolatry would follow. The monkey on his back was so busy jumping up and down it looked like jackhammer on overtime. It was as difficult to manage as a herd of cats. His monkey always ended up on another partners back, unless someone had moved the monkey’s cheese. In which case the monkey, no lackey itself, would apply situational management skills, and find a new mentor to aid in its own pursuit of excellence. (The monkey went on to a highly successful writing career, penning “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Monkeys” and “Who moved my Banana?”)

Those days in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma were like the warm waning days of summer, right before the start of year-end punishment and the twelve month moving budgets, before the cold of compensation adjustments blew across the frozen north plains. In those perilous times, Ducky would reach deep inside and find renewed strength with his time management skills, his ever-present day planner broken into 12 second increments, his unflagging dour pessimism sowed like wild oats across a teenage boy’s dreams. His day planner had a cliché of the day. He overused them with excess. He never dismounted, even though he’d beaten his horse to death many years before.

He got better rather than get beaten. His clichés were sharpened, his outside-in perspective ground to a razor edge. He instituted goal oriented performance management, the performance evaluation nine-box (which Jack Welch promptly stole), upward feedback, client quality feedback, he gave it to us straight from the gut, he invented candor, he pursued everything at any cost, and was always a winning partner. He cultivated a team spirit and led with emotional intelligence. He devoured the Economist, the Harvard Business Review, the WSJ, the Financial Times, and Dilbert, which he never did understand. He was a primal leader, a meditative mind, in pursuit of his one-minute cheese, he was the Oracle of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.

He was a leader without principles….whoops…I mean a principle centered leader. He judged books by their covers, while remaining a simple western Oklahoma version of Cliff Notes. He was enthralling when speaking. Ninety minutes once….a cacophony of clichés, euphemisms, uselessisms, allegories, analogies and HR dogma, spewn forth in the most meaningless and monotone manner unimaginable. He was the General George S. Patton of accounting, the Douglas MacArthur of debits and credits…….He was absolutely spellbinding, for a tree stump or a rock. I could be rich if I had recorded them………His favorite song was, as you might have guessed, from the Rogers and Hammerstein musical Oklahoma. Oh hell……..you can figure it out. “……..where the wind blows…”. That, my friends, is a real paradigm shift.

But I digress. A Mission Statement…..hmmmmmm……it’s time for a nap. I’ve pursued so much darned excellence I’m just tuckered out……

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    "Issues" instead of "problems".
    "Considerations" instead of "Issues"

"You're fired"
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

"Thinning the herd."--congratulation you own more than 1 firearm
    "Tacticool"--no explanation needed
    "Selling for a friend"--seems like an excuse for lying about an item for sale.
    "For Sale by Owner" who else is selling it "For Sale By Thief"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by novalty View Post
    "For Sale by Owner" who else is selling it "For Sale By Thief"
    I think it would be as opposed to "for sale on behalf of owner"
    Some people might think the owner is easier to deal with than a broker of sort.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

ATM machine. What the heck does the "M" in "ATM" stand for anyway? Do we call a Coke machine a Coke machine machine?
    Hot water heater. If it is hot why are we heating it? It is a water heater!!!!!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links