Annoying Phrases - Page 5

Annoying Phrases

This is a discussion on Annoying Phrases within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "So I'(m)" .... "So I'm sittin on the can today thinking about what phrases drive me nuts,,," Why do folks need to start a thread, ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Annoying Phrases

Peoples Protectorate of Kaliforniya, gulag NorCal
    "So I'(m)" ....

"So I'm sittin on the can today thinking about what phrases drive me nuts,,,"

Why do folks need to start a thread, sentence, or story with "So"???

Last edited by zonzin; August 26th, 2011 at 11:05 AM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    ATM machine. What the heck does the "M" in "ATM" stand for anyway? Do we call a Coke machine a Coke machine machine?
    Hot water heater. If it is hot why are we heating it? It is a water heater!!!!!
    To continue this thought, it bugs me when people say/use PIN number, VIN number etc.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Not now honey, I have a headache.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

"I don't disagree"

Either agree or disagree.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    excuse me sir, can you give me a ride too..............Usually I answer with, sorry this is on a one way trip to jail, if your headed there you can come along.

excuse me sir, do you have (insert monatery amount here)

hey pardnor, can i bum a smoke/lighter

(when walking into a resturant and someone throws their hands up) It wasn't me.

Moving on

in a roundabout way.

word

my bad

shut the front door.

(I had a guy yell that at me while angry on a domestic a week ago, so i slammed his front door and he got madder at me)
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member
    Gratuitous (and usually incorrect) use of "literally" or "per se"

VIP Member
    Meaningless measurements.

“Length of a football field”
    “Enough to fill an olympic swimming pool”
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

"irregardless" - it's not a word.
    Rock and Glock and Xader like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombsaway View Post
    "irregardless" - it's not a word.
    Well that's partially true. See what Merriam has to say:

ir·re·gard·less adv \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\

Definition of IRREGARDLESS
    nonstandard
    : regardless
    Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS
    Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
    Examples of IRREGARDLESS
    I told them that irregardless of what you read in books, they's some members of the theatrical profession that occasionally visits the place where they sleep. —Ring Lardner, The Big Town, 1921
    Origin of IRREGARDLESS
    probably blend of irrespective and regardless
    First Known Use: circa 1912

Just sayin' ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by zonzin View Post
    Well that's partially true. See what Merriam has to say:

ir·re·gard·less adv \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\

Definition of IRREGARDLESS
    nonstandard
    : regardless
    Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS
    Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
    Examples of IRREGARDLESS
    I told them that irregardless of what you read in books, they's some members of the theatrical profession that occasionally visits the place where they sleep. —Ring Lardner, The Big Town, 1921
    Origin of IRREGARDLESS
    probably blend of irrespective and regardless
    First Known Use: circa 1912

Just sayin' ;-)
    Yes, well, that was certainly worth the time you spent researching it, wasn't it?
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I think it would be as opposed to "for sale on behalf of owner"
    Some people might think the owner is easier to deal with than a broker of sort.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    My point being that it is superfluous. A for sale item should be just "For Sale," there is a direct assumption that the person selling it has the legal right to sell it.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by novalty View Post
    My point being that it is superfluous. A for sale item should be just "For Sale," there is a direct assumption that the person selling it has the legal right to sell it.
    Typically that would be the case I would think. However I could still see why a sign saying for sale by owner would be useful.

Lets say If someone is selling a vehicle outside their house and puts a for sale by owner sign on it. The interested person can reasonably assume they can walk up to the house to ask questions and/or make a deal on the vehicle.
    However if someone sells their vehicle at a vacant lot or other location then they should just put a for sale sign with a phone number as a contact.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    Has "old school" been mentioned yet? It's been my experience that someone claiming to be "old school" is really saying that they are unwilling to learn, over-confident in their own abilities, and often just plain ol' lazy. Starting to edge up on that age when being "old school" seems to be the default explanation for why someone doesn't know anything about anything that's happened in the last decade, I'm wary. I'd hate to be "old school" myself, without realizing it. ;)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    And, by the way, For Sale By Owner in real estate (and other broker-assisted sales) means that there are no realtor/broker fees. It has a real, tangible meaning, though I suppose you could say "For Sale Directly By Owner With No Realtor/Broker Fees" if you wanted to...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombsaway View Post
    Yes, well, that was certainly worth the time you spent researching it, wasn't it?

Only 30 seconds or so with google. Irregardless, I was just pointing out it is a word, just a non-standard one. :)

gottabkiddin likes this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links