Earthquake!!!!!!!! - Page 3

Earthquake!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Earthquake!!!!!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am almost 57 years old and this was the very first one I ever experienced. And I was 55-miles from the epicenter. All I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Earthquake!!!!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I am almost 57 years old and this was the very first one I ever experienced. And I was 55-miles from the epicenter. All I can say is it was a heckuva ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I am almost 57 years old and this was the very first one I ever experienced. And I was 55-miles from the epicenter. All I can say is it was a heckuva ride.
    We had a tremor back in 1980 here in my hometown. It rattled windows and stuff, but didn't cause any significant damage. Felt like the chair I was sitting in when it happend had a vibration unit attached to it. Kind of like those old beds in motels where you put in a quarter and it gently vibrated the bed to put you to sleep.....man.....am I that old to remember things like that!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Living most of my adult life on the Left coast, no big deal. Yawn.

Besides that thing today on the East coast wasn't an earthquake. It was our Founding Fathers turning over in their graves.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Lead Moderator
    Made for an interesting afternoon. Had to go home and pick up around the house where things fell off the shelf. My wife works IN D.C. and I'm still waiting for her to get home. Most of the damage seems to be to the evening commute.

Haven't felt an earthquake since Japan, years ago!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    We had a pretty good jolt here. I was at work and didn't realize it until after the fact. I was standing at my work bench showing a co-worker something. Now we have a train track literally behind our warehouse. It's basically the warehouse, small parking lot, train track. When trains go by it will vibrate and shake the warehouse a bit. I thought I felt that today... but there was no train. Then a bunch of people started getting calls. Then I realized what that shaking was.

I came home to find a cereal box on the floor which was knocked off the fridge. Oh and a picture fell. That was about it... the horror...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Fun huh? Welcome to the ride usually reserved for the people of California. Hope you all are ok.
    Funny thing is... I was just out there.

VIP Member
    Didn't feel it in El Paso lol
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Shook my building (inside the beltway) pretty good, though there has been construction on the building for the last few days, and we attributed the rumblings to that until the trees (and the entire building) started swaying. As others have said, though, the worst damage is the the danged traffic - my normal 40 minute reverse commute into downtown DC took almost 2 1/2 hours...

This makes 5 for me - two in Afghanistan (small ones), one bigger one in Brazil, and one pretty good shaker in Colombia. Have I bagged my limit yet?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Felt it in the Pittsburgh area. The building shook a bit, but I thought it was a fat guy stomping down the hall. People walking in the building did not feel anything, you had to be seated. I have ridden out much worse in CA.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Here is an individual account of the devastation from around the DC area.

DC Earthquake Devastation - jmckinley's posterous

Senior Moderator
    Only 5.6? Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...really I did!
    We lived in Adak, Alaska 1983-90...had LOTS of earth quakes, almost weekly.
    Then we had this...Teleseismically recorded seismicity before and after the May 7, 1986, Andreanof
    A big 8.0...it was a 'whopper'.

What a bunch of '5.6' weenies...

It can be a unique and helpless feeling, I'm glad that no one appears injured.
    I'm sure that those experiencing the quake will never forget it.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; August 24th, 2011 at 01:53 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Be careful people in the affected areas.

VIP Member
    8:06 PM, just had an aftershock here in Richmond. Slight rumbling and shaking of the house, and of course the cats freaked out like they did this afternoon.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

Just had another aftershock!

I am sitting in the chair on DC, and there was just another aftershock. Much shorter, but more intense, it only lasted for 2 - 3 seconds tops.

Today's was concerning enough. While my co-workers stood around looking at each other an waiting to be told what to do, I bolted for the door and went outside. It was interesting but scary at the same time. My first earthquake, and hopefully there won't be too many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Funny thing is... I was just out there.
    Yeah, I was wondering how your trip went. Hope all went well, I didn't see you on the news. Looks like you took some earthquakes back home with ya.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links