I just wanted to toss out there that.... - Page 2

I just wanted to toss out there that....

This is a discussion on I just wanted to toss out there that.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been dove hunting twice, been unsuccessful twice. Any pointers for a wannabe dove hunter? All of the doves around here live in the 'burbs, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I just wanted to toss out there that....

I've been dove hunting twice, been unsuccessful twice.

Any pointers for a wannabe dove hunter? All of the doves around here live in the 'burbs, too close to buildings.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    So tell me "Sixto" what prompted you to change shotguns, and from what type action going to what action?
    I've kinda been toying with the idea of trying to pick up a 20 ga double, if I can find one without costing an arm and leg.
    Oh boy, you've asked a loaded question. Asking me what shotgun is like asking a woman why she's going to wear particular shoes or earrings on a particular day.

I prefer pumps and mostly autoloaders- I just seem to shoot autos better than anything else. My auto loader of choice is the Beretta Urika line. I have a couple of them. For doves, I've mostly used my Beretta Teknys in 12ga with a 26" barrel. If I'm feeling nostalgic, I use my '55 Belgium Browning auto 5. I typically hunt doves stationary on the edges of large sunflower or millet fields, so the extra load and spread of the 12 ga gives me a good advantage for those higher and fast moving birds. But, when hunting over food plots and decoys, its almost to easy. And on the lower flying birds, the 12's tend to shred the birds sometimes. I like to hunt close to sunset and the birds come in lower but faster then. So, I though maybe going to a 20 will give me a little more challenge and save some of the meat.
    When walking and handling dogs, I prefer a 20 auto simply because they are lighter and quicker handling. I can mount and swing the lighter framed 20 a lot faster, especially when tired from the days hike. And lets face it, a 20 will take any upland game just the same as a 12, especially when we are talking pen raised birds hunted over dogs. It does take a little more skill, but thats OK. Upland hunting isnt about taking the most birds anyway.

Oh yeah, if you want an affordable double, check out CZ's line up. They are about the best balance of price and quality that I've found. Either that, or just pony up and buy a Browning. They can be had fairly reasonable if you find a sale or on the used rack.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I've been dove hunting twice, been unsuccessful twice.

Any pointers for a wannabe dove hunter? All of the doves around here live in the 'burbs, too close to buildings.
    I'm not sure about AZ, I've only hunted them in Ohio, Indiana, Iowa and Kentucky. Here is how we do it;

We'll hunt over food sources, such as sunflower or millet fields. I'm not sure that either of those exist in AZ, so you'll have to figure out what they eat there. Doves will come in to feed early to mid morning, and again around dusk. We set up on the edges of the fields, but take care to remain at least somewhat hidden. A straw hat works well if your hiding in a corn row, or I'll use a boonie hat sometimes too. No mirrored sunglasses! It important to hide your white face, doves will hone in on that and stay away. Incidentally, I do hunt on occasions with an older black guy, he does not have as much as an issue with that as us white guys. I guess they pick out certain shades and colors better than others. Doves do have great eyesight, but are fairly stupid critters.
    Other than that, its about location. ID the food sources, and hang around during feeding time. Some guys get fancyed up in all kinds of camo, that isn't really needed. I'll take more birds in my straw hat, shorts and a dark colored shirt. K.I.S.S is the name of the game with doves. As you spend time in your hunting field, you'll start to notice certain flight paths, and you'll be better to set yourself up along those. Decoys can work too, if used correctly.
    Last edited by SIXTO; August 25th, 2011 at 12:19 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Today as I was driving home, I noticed about 30 doves in the field across from my house, so they are starting to trickle in. That would make it about right for dove season.

I love dove hunting. Its a family affair, at least one of my sons go and several friends that have been hunting together for 20 something years. Its casual, its laid back and we have a blast. We'll usually sit on 5 gallon buckets and space out about 50 yards. It never takes any of us long to get a limit when the doves show up.

Last year I took an 1897 Winchester that was 16 gauge, just to be different. It worked well. This year I am thinking of an 1187 Remington in Realtree camo that I got awhile back at an auction. I didnt really need it, but the price was right and I havent shot it yet. The gun looks new.

Before we go sit, we'll meet up for breakfast. I love a good breakfast.After that,its off to the fields and we are usually home before mid morning.

Its a great way to spend the day. Its a shame that many people dont know the experience.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    I have 5 gallon buckets filled with ice and a swivel seat. That reminds me, I need to go buy a new bucket. I backed over mine with the Jeep last week.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Iowa's got a dove season now....time to go shotgun shopping???

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Iowa's got a dove season now....time to go shotgun shopping???

It sure is!
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It sure is!
    That reminds me, you wouldn't happen to have a Beretta O/U in 20 that you wouldn't mind selling would you?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That reminds me, you wouldn't happen to have a Beretta O/U in 20 that you wouldn't mind selling would you?
    No, not at the moment. I just acquired a safe full from an estate that I'm due to pick up later this week. There might be something there but I doubt it. I usually notice things like that right away, the price was right and I bought the lot sight unseen based on a trusted sources description. I do know there are a few Brownings in 12 and 16, along with a Red Label. I'm not sure if the Red Label is 12 or 20. Probably 12 though. Unless there is something magnificent about the lot, I'll probably be selling most of it local. If there is a Beretta O/U, I'll let you know.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    No, not at the moment. I just acquired a safe full from an estate that I'm due to pick up later this week. There might be something there but I doubt it. I usually notice things like that right away, the price was right and I bought the lot sight unseen based on a trusted sources description. I do know there are a few Brownings in 12 and 16, along with a Red Label. I'm not sure if the Red Label is 12 or 20. Probably 12 though. Unless there is something magnificent about the lot, I'll probably be selling most of it local. If there is a Beretta O/U, I'll let you know.
    Let me know on the Red Label regardless of gauge, Dad wants a Beretta, I just want something nice.

Administrator
    OK. I do know there is a Citori in 12 that is older, but in good condition. I was planning on keeping that, but I might sell it depending how I make out on the rest of them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Dove season is only a week away. I'm going to have to stop by the butcher and order up some bacon, I'm going to have to make sure I have plenty of shells too.w.
    And plenty of dog treats, too?

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Thanks Stubborn. Some units are draw only and some are OTC (over the counter). I wish I could go every weekend but the mountains aren't that close to me, but once they start screaming we are headed up there for a week long hunt sleeping in my tipee. I love hunting hogs too I go down to Texas every year with a buddy and shoot them. Makes from some good hog roasts.

Senior Moderator
    If its a 26" Citori with 3" chambers, we need to talk.
    Buddy.
    Ole Friend
    Occifer...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Ya know, I have no idea if it has 3" chambers or not. It never occurred to me to ask, as I typically only shoot 2 3/4 shells. I'll know tomorrow or Sunday at the latest.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    If its a 26" Citori with 3" chambers, we need to talk.
    Buddy.
    Ole Friend
    Occifer...
    Ya know, I have no idea if it has 3" chambers or not. It never occurred to me to ask, as I typically only shoot 2 3/4 shells. I'll know tomorrow or Sunday at the latest.
    wow, Hotguns played the Occifer card, I thought that was only used in pillow-talk.... he must want that Citori pretty bad.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links