I just wanted to toss out there that....

This is a discussion on I just wanted to toss out there that.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by zacii I've been dove hunting twice, been unsuccessful twice. Any pointers for a wannabe dove hunter? All of the doves around here ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I just wanted to toss out there that....

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I've been dove hunting twice, been unsuccessful twice.

Any pointers for a wannabe dove hunter? All of the doves around here live in the 'burbs, too close to buildings.
    Well, not sure how many ponds you have out there where you hunt but we usually set 3 or 4 of us up, strategically placed around the shores of a pond. I think that unless you're in a major flyway, your best odds are to place yourself at a pond, creek bed or orchard.

SIXTO, you better get your butt out there and scarf up some ammo, 'cause if it's like around here during dove season, it gets hard to come by, even at WW. So what's your limit out there in Ohio for a daily harvest of dove? Ours is 10 per day our here in Calif.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    15 was the magic number last year, I assume it's will be the same this year, but I haven't looked yet
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Usually just breast them. I've found that doing the whole bird isn't worth the effort for me. But, I might feel differently this year. I'm going to use a 20 instead of a 12. We'll see if that make a difference- even if its less birds in the ice bucket.
    I switch from a 12 to 20 and hunted Quail for the first time last year with the 20. Bagging the limit was not a problem. I did notice less damage, and it sure was nice carrying around a lighter gun all day.

VIP Member
    Gotta love the Citori's. Beretta makes a fine shotgun as well, but it is tough to find a 20 with 26" barrels these days. I would love to by an AL or one of the newer 400's, but I don't have 1300 to spare these days. A guy can dream though. :)

Last year for fun and sport, I hunted with my old Iver Johnson .410 single shot. I think that thing was made when Earth still had that "new dirt smell" to it. Anyways, I did well with it and it was a blast to hunt with!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I switch from a 12 to 20 and hunted Quail for the first time last year with the 20. Bagging the limit was not a problem. I did notice less damage, and it sure was nice carrying around a lighter gun all day.
    Yes, I've switched to a 20 a few years back for pheasant and quail for the very reasons you've pointed out. Those who say the 410 and 20 are beginner guns are dead wrong. I say 12's are for rookies
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I've got a .410 single shot that I love to shoot. .410 are definetly not for beginners its a fun challenge.

VIP Member
    I would like to get a 410 Remington Wingmaster some day. I had the chance to handle one at a shop once, but did not have the funds. Really nice, came up nice and smooth, light weight, and swung easy. Very nice shotgun, and I would welcome the challenge of making the hunt a bit more sporting.

2 years ago I broke out my 16 ga side by side French guild gun. Best I can figure it's over 100 yrs old. Unfortunately, I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. Sure was fun to break it out and run a box through it. But that sharp comb beat my jaw to death. My face hurt for days.

I had to break out the 870 to hit anything.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Administrator
    Well, I'm sorry to say, the season opener stunk. I killed one bird. Thats pretty sad. We only saw maybe a dozen, most of which were out of range. I did miss a few that I really should have hit, but oh well, thats they way it goes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, I'm sorry to say, the season opener stunk. I killed one bird. Thats pretty sad. We only saw maybe a dozen, most of which were out of range. I did miss a few that I really should have hit, but oh well, thats they way it goes.
    Seemed like it was hard times all around. I bet they are all out there flying around right now though, laughing.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Seemed like it was hard times all around. I bet they are all out there flying around right now though, laughing.
    I'll see 20 tomorrow in my backyard at the feeders.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'll see 20 tomorrow in my backyard at the feeders.
    Well then, I'll be right over.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Come on over. I'll unlock the gate... just don't blast holes in the neighbors house, he's already mad at me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Still waiting on Sat here. And noon Sat at that. I work second now, so the noon opener is not so bad for me.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links