I just wanted to toss out there that....

This is a discussion on I just wanted to toss out there that.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Dove season is only a week away. I'm going to have to stop by the butcher and order up some bacon, I'm going to have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I just wanted to toss out there that....

Administrator

Dove season is only a week away. I'm going to have to stop by the butcher and order up some bacon, I'm going to have to make sure I have plenty of shells too. Why I'm sitting here on the computer, I don't know.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Do you just "breast" yours or do you skin the entire bird??
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I use to flour anf fry the breasts in butter,then salt and pepper,my daughters didn't like eating a lotof wild game I took,but I used to have to beat em off my breasts with a stick
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yea, I started "breasting" years ago, the little bit of meat you lose from the legs really isn't worth going after. I have an old recipe from my grandmother for "quail pie" it's basically a home-made pot pie made with quail, I use the same recipe and substitute dove for quail...outstanding! I'm like you though, if I don't make the pie, I just flour and season and fry them.

I won't get to dove hunt until late December and early January. Our season is in three phases, and the first two phases collide with archery and general gun season for deer and hogs.

Below is our convoluted dove season here in Florida:

Mourning and White-Winged Dove Season:
    ■First Phase - October 1 - 24
    ■Second Phase - November 12 - 27
    ■Third Phase - December 10 - January 8
    Shooting Hours:
    ■First Phase - 12 Noon to sunset
    ■Second & Third phases - hour before sunrise to sunset
    Bag Limit (daily/possession):
    ■15/30
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I am a hold out for keeping the whole bird.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Do you just "breast" yours or do you skin the entire bird??
    Usually just breast them. I've found that doing the whole bird isn't worth the effort for me. But, I might feel differently this year. I'm going to use a 20 instead of a 12. We'll see if that make a difference- even if its less birds in the ice bucket.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Love dove season have been hunting them since I was ten. I go every year and its a blast. We had our annual clay pigeon shoot last weekend to get ready for dove season. We just breast ours and wrap them in bacon from pigs we recently had butchered. We also always have jalepeno halves with cream cheese wrapped in bacon to go with them. (poppers, snake eggs, whatever ya'll call them) have a great season and good luck. Its the start of my favorite time of year. Dove season September 1, archery Elk September, Archery Deer October, Pronghorn Rifle October, Coyote hunting in between

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    Love dove season have been hunting them since I was ten. I go every year and its a blast. We had our annual clay pigeon shoot last weekend to get ready for dove season. We just breast ours and wrap them in bacon from pigs we recently had butchered. We also always have jalepeno halves with cream cheese wrapped in bacon to go with them. (poppers, snake eggs, whatever ya'll call them) have a great season and good luck. Its the start of my favorite time of year. Dove season September 1, archery Elk September, Archery Deer October, Pronghorn Rifle October, Coyote hunting in between
    Oh man, Elk, and speed goats...and here I sit with our minature deer, we do have some big, mean hogs though. I just can't imagine living in a place where you could hunt elk every weekend of the season. You have a safe and successful season also my friend.
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Light breading seasoning is great! Also try microwaving some bacon ( pre cook) wrap brest with bacon and put on grill. Comes out AWESOME that way. Dam your making me hungry just thinking about. Now I have to get a backstrap out of the freezer for supper tonight.

We bake them on low heat with pepper and kosher salt. Then wrap them in bacon and grill them till the bacon is done. YUMMY!!!! My wife did not like dove till we cooked them this way. The kosher salt is the key. Last year I popped the breast out, then deboned the breast. You could grab the toothpick and pop the bacon wrapped half breast in your mouth. Can't wait.

Then it's on to archery deer season. I shot my bow a bit this afternoon already.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Looks like a good dove season, been seeing a lot of them here in northern Colorado. I wish elk season would be coming, haven't drawn a tag now for about 7 years. Thank goodness for Wyoming as we usually get 6 antelope tags from them! Sure fills the freezer! Got the 25.06 all sighted in and ready to go. Hubby will be using his 280 Remington. Wahoo!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    Looks like a good dove season, been seeing a lot of them here in northern Colorado. I wish elk season would be coming, haven't drawn a tag now for about 7 years. Thank goodness for Wyoming as we usually get 6 antelope tags from them! Sure fills the freezer! Got the 25.06 all sighted in and ready to go. Hubby will be using his 280 Remington. Wahoo!
    25.06 is what I shoot. I love that rifle, almost no recoil and will really reach out and touch them. Mine is a Sako A-7 with a Nikon 3-9x40 on it.

I thought Colorados Elk tags were over the counter?
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Usually just breast them. I've found that doing the whole bird isn't worth the effort for me. But, I might feel differently this year. I'm going to use a 20 instead of a 12. We'll see if that make a difference- even if its less birds in the ice bucket.
    So tell me "Sixto" what prompted you to change shotguns, and from what type action going to what action?
    I've kinda been toying with the idea of trying to pick up a 20 ga double, if I can find one without costing an arm and leg.
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't even know the hunting schedule in Ohio any more, I've been out of the loop for such things way too long, but hopefully I can partake in a few different seasons this year.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Oh yes, Dove starts Sept 1 in AZ for early season...and it's my day off of work. YAY! So two weeks of dove hunting, and then my elk hunt is the first week in October. And then quail starts Nov. 2. Gonna be a fun fall!!!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links