Best SUV dog barrier- - Page 2

Best SUV dog barrier-

This is a discussion on Best SUV dog barrier- within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Our vehicles are setup with Orvis dog seat covers for the back, and we use Ruff Rider Roadie harnesses that strap into the seat belt ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Best SUV dog barrier-

VIP Member
    Our vehicles are setup with Orvis dog seat covers for the back, and we use Ruff Rider Roadie harnesses that strap into the seat belt system. We have gone thru 2 of them over the last 11 years.

Why a seatbelt? Crates offer restraint/containment, but not safety for the dog. There was a video some years back made by a German insurance company. The plastic kennels explode in accidents when the weight of the dog hits the walls under force. That mirrors my experience when I was a responding EMT. Several calls where dogs were in the back of vehicles. Some contained, others not contained. Same result every time; they died.

That one you have listed looks the best made of those I have seen. My Xterra has black interior and my 35 lb mutt sheds like it is his job. I hat dog hair on everything especialy when I wear suits to work year round and have to constantly lint roll myself.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    not to mention you probably hate having him hit the airhorn on the siren box, I had my pooch do that once when taking her home in the middle of a shift, talk about scary lol.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Why don't you get him his own truck and let him follow you to the field?

My dog knows he could drive, if he could just reach the pedals.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Galls should have something in their catalog that would do the job.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Ahh... obviously you've never had a bird dog in the fall. He'd be more likely to take the Jeep on a run than the Jeep take him.
    Mercy sakes, ain't that the truth!!! I couldn't so much as go near the hunting boots without him putting up a deafening, riotous fuss... and when I grabbed the bell collar, it was pandemonium.

I had a 'universal fit' barrier that I got from an on-line pet supply house that catered to working dogs, but the damn thing rattled like crazy and it was such a nuisance to install and remove that I gave up on it. Fortunately the old Volvo wagon had vinyl seats and I just dealt with the occasional cleanup that was necessary.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    not to mention you probably hate having him hit the airhorn on the siren box, I had my pooch do that once when taking her home in the middle of a shift, talk about scary lol.
    I dont have any of that in my personal vehicle.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I use a sheep skin covered harness that attaches to the seat belt. They can move around "some" (and lay down or sit up) , but if an accident occurs the seat belt will lock and the padded sheep skin harness distributes the stress over a much wider area to protect them from injury. It also keeps them from leaping around in the car.

Comfort Ride Travelin' Dog Car Harness - Sales - Web Exclusive - PetSmart
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Moderator
    Best SUV dog barrier-
    Discipline.

Train that dog up. Make him understand where he can go and not go.

Yeah..it takes time, but he ought to be smart enough to figure it out.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Discipline.

Train that dog up. Make him understand where he can go and not go.

Yeah..it takes time, but he ought to be smart enough to figure it out.
    Most of the time, I'd agree with this 110%. But, my current dog is a rescue, and has got over a lot of bigger issues. He was terribly gun shy, people shy and afraid of his own shadow when I got him. He wouldn't even walk through a doorway. Let him off the leash, and you were spending the day trying to capture him. Now, I can walk him in the neighborhood with no leash, he gets shot over all the time, lives in the house with no problems, heels, sits, stays (whoa) all off leash. He hunts out front, backs other dogs and stays within range. If he does get a little long, a quick whistle will get him back in a second.... but... leave him in the truck while I eat lunch, gas up, or grab a drink and he's in the drivers seat waiting on me. I don't have the heart to break any of the spirit I've built up in him the last few years. He is still overly sensitive, I typically only have to shoot him "the look" and he falls to pieces- but because he is so sensitive, he'll hunt like crap if he knows he's pissed me off.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Gotcha.

Dogs are crazy like that.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Mines not crazy, but he is "special". If he went to school, it would be by short bus most defiantly.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    We give them the love we can spare, the time we can spare. In return, dogs have given us their absolute all. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. - Roger Caras

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Most of the time, I'd agree with this 110%. But, my current dog is a rescue, and has got over a lot of bigger issues. He was terribly gun shy, people shy and afraid of his own shadow when I got him. He wouldn't even walk through a doorway. Let him off the leash, and you were spending the day trying to capture him. Now, I can walk him in the neighborhood with no leash, he gets shot over all the time, lives in the house with no problems, heels, sits, stays (whoa) all off leash. He hunts out front, backs other dogs and stays within range. If he does get a little long, a quick whistle will get him back in a second.... but... leave him in the truck while I eat lunch, gas up, or grab a drink and he's in the drivers seat waiting on me. I don't have the heart to break any of the spirit I've built up in him the last few years. He is still overly sensitive, I typically only have to shoot him "the look" and he falls to pieces- but because he is so sensitive, he'll hunt like crap if he knows he's pissed me off.
    Gee SIXTO, you're really a great guy with a big heart! (And a lot of patience).

I don't care what the other mods say about ya.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    I do have a heart when it comes to dogs and kids. Other than that, bury me upside down so the world can kiss my ass.
    ctr likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links