Best SUV dog barrier-

Best SUV dog barrier-

This is a discussion on Best SUV dog barrier- within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Got any suggestions? My setter keeps climbing over the back seat and I'm tired of cleaning muddy paw prints off the leather in addition to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Best SUV dog barrier-

Administrator

Best SUV dog barrier-

Got any suggestions? My setter keeps climbing over the back seat and I'm tired of cleaning muddy paw prints off the leather in addition to vacuuming out the dog hair every trip to the field.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I use a portion of his kennel cage and some bungee cords when I load my lab in the back of my expedition.

My wife wanted something a little more professional, so she bought something like this for hers.

It's nice because you can extend the bar tubes from the side to the shape of your vehicle (keeps the dog from reaching around to pet the kids), but it relies on surface tension to hold it in place and frequently gets knocked over by groceries and such. FWIW, I prefer my solution.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I wouldn't call it the best, but I've been using this $60 model that I bought from Petco back on '03:

Precision Pet VehicleBarrier & Extension Bar Available Online from PETCO.com

I like it because it's easy to setup & remove, it adapts for wider or narrower vehicles, & you can buy an extension section for larger vehicles - We use ours in a RAV4. It rattles a little bit sometimes, but I'm pleased with it overall.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Administrator
    I guess I should add this; I'm leery of (but not totally against) the one sized fits all ones. I had a dog strangle himself in a poorly designed crate a few years back, so now I'm ultra cautious when buying containment products for my dogs.

I was looking at this one; Amazon.com: TRAVALL TDG1152 - DOG GUARD / PET BARRIER for JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE (2005-2010): Automotive, but it seems awful spendy.
    Old School likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

They make doggie seatbelts
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    They make doggie seatbelts
    Well, yeah... they do. But I want to keep the dog in the cargo area. Its much easier to clean out, especially when he is full of mud and burrs from a day of hunting. Also, I don't think I want to try and put a seat belt harness thingy on a amped up bird dog. If it was some foo foo poodle pooper, maybe.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I guess I should add this; I'm leery of (but not totally against) the one sized fits all ones. I had a dog strangle himself in a poorly designed crate a few years back, so now I'm ultra cautious when buying containment products for my dogs.

I was looking at this one; Amazon.com: TRAVALL TDG1152 - DOG GUARD / PET BARRIER for JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE (2005-2010): Automotive, but it seems awful spendy.
    What a horrible story... I'm re-thinking my approach now.

I like what you're looking at. It looks like something I'd see in a police vehicle (wonder where you got that idea ;-). All it's missing is a spit-barrier.

Of course, you realize that the carpet on the back of the seat is still gonna get all dogged-up.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Of course, you realize that the carpet on the back of the seat is still gonna get all dogged-up.
    LOL, yeah, I know. Being a dog guy, hunter and anal about keeping my vehicles clean isn't always easy. What I do is get a small tarp and tuck it under the head rests. Then, I'll push it into the back of the seats and close as I can, then the rest will flow under the cargo tray. The weight of the dog and shotguns will keep the tarp in place most of the time. That way, I just have to hose out the cargo tray and a quick vacuum job and I'm done cleaning up the car no matter how dirty the dog gets.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar

Sorry to hear about the bad crate experience. I don't know that there would be too many custom-fit models that don't cost a pretty penny.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member

That is a pretty cool looking barrier. I like how it doesn't contact the headliner and still allows you to fold down the rear seats for extra cargo area without having to remove it.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    I don't know that there would be too many custom-fit models that don't cost a pretty penny.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    That is a pretty cool looking barrier. I like how it doesn't contact the headliner and still allows you to fold down the rear seats for extra cargo area without having to remove it.
    Yup, its the best I've found so far. I don't mind spending the money for a good product as this seems to be well designed. I just wanted to see if anyone else had some more experience or another suggestion. Up until recently, I've always just folded down the rear seats and tossed a crate (s) in the back for the dogs. But now, my son is old enough to go along, I need back seat room for him as well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Tie him to the bumper and take him out for a run.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Tie him to the bumper and take him out for a run.
    Ahh... obviously you've never had a bird dog in the fall. He'd be more likely to take the Jeep on a run than the Jeep take him.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sorry about the unfortunate incident with the dog a few years ago.

The unit you have posted looks like it would work just fine.

It's 2011 the price does not seem to high if it is quality made.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I'm thinking the best one would also provide an odor barrier,my lab used to fart so much on the way to the marsh I almost bought a gas mask in a army surplus store
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links