So, THIS is what anti's think...

This is a discussion on So, THIS is what anti's think... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; City beat article from Cinci OH Just stirring the pot a bit... this guy is an IDIOT. I like to argue for the right to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: So, THIS is what anti's think...

City beat article from Cinci OH

Just stirring the pot a bit... this guy is an IDIOT. I like to argue for the right to keep and bear arms, but there is no arguing with this type of stupidity...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Typical drivel from City Beat.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Moderator
    My response to a VERY similar anti-gun article. I could literally copy and paste it without adding or subtracting much:

... this article is so biased I can only hope to shine some light through the holes in it to show some other mothers the truth.

Where is the source of your assumptions? ... Pretty much every law-enforcement officer in this country is issued a firearm and seldom do you hear of them using it on their families and themselves. The gun, again, was not the problem, nor was it their "gun culture." The problem was a disturbed man, period.

You said that mothers, role models, should not advocate instruments of death. If that's the case than I should never allow my child to go swimming or to ride in a car. Cars and swimming pools kill far more children every year than firearms do.

According to the CDC reports for the year of 2007, out of all of the deaths of children from the ages of 1-9, motor vehicle accidents, drowning and even accidental poisonings all came in WAY over firearms accidents.

Depending on which source you believe there are, on average, between 4.4 - 9 guns per household in America. Obviously some households have no firearms in them but that's a lot of firearms to go around. According to the 2009 census bureau there are proximately 307,006,550 Americans in this country. With an average of 2.59 Americans per household and using a medium 6.5 guns per household that means there are an estimated 770,479,759 guns in the US, MANY of which are carried daily by legal citizens. That is well over twice the amount guns per people. But yet, there were only 31,224 gun-related deaths in the US in 2007. That includes accidents, suicides (that make up over 50% of that total), homicides and legal police and self defense shootings.

SOOOOO... 770,448,535 guns killed NO ONE in 2007 (assuming that only one gun was used per gun death).

What constitutes an instrument of death? Is it just its intended purpose? What about the outcome of its use?

Guns kill far, FAR less people than cars and swimming pools. Heck, hamburgers kill more people than guns as heart disease is still the #1 killer in America.

You say guns were made to kill and that they are constant reminders of violence and rape and murder and death. If that’s the case than why aren’t they inciting more violence? The mathematical truth is that guns are not killing as many people as you would think if you expected guns to incite or promote violence and death. You say that people who carry guns are paranoid and scared. Again, where is your source other than your own biased assumptions? Have you seen any kind of psychological study of those who carry? Have you even talked to someone who carries and asked him or her about his or her reasoning?

Most of the legal, gun-owning parents are careful to teach their children about responsibility, etc. And I would LOVE to see one single verifiable source that proves a single country that has banned guns has a lower crime rate than before guns were banned. And how in the world would carrying a gun have anything to do with control and not protection? Depending on what state you live in you probably interact with between 1-3 concealed carriers every day. The teller at your bank, the florist at the grocery store, the gardener at the local nursing home, the pastor of a church, could all be carrying guns and you would be none the wiser. They are normal, sane, every day people that you are attempting to call “paranoid.” Were is your evidence? The evidence that I have seen is that law-abiding concealed carriers are among the most calm, happy, stable and friendly people in the US. Eight out of ten of my personal friends carry guns. They range from doctors and scientists, mothers, fathers, soldiers, police officers, pastors, youth pastors, public servants, hotel clerks, store owners, etc. I would invite anyone who doubts our sanity to come to any of our get-togethers and see just how “normal” we are.

I don’t care is someone decides to carry or not. That is an individual choice, but don’t try to judge mentality based on individual decisions and make blanket statements based on absolutely no facts.

"I don't think my grandfather owned a gun, but he did own a rifle."

Wow. (Although it is a little funny if you go by Full Metal Jacket terminology).

"I don’t think my grandfather owned a gun, but he did own a rifle."

Yep, that's where I lost all hope for this person. He can no longer be thought an idiot; he opened his mouth and removed all doubt.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

If I gotta pass a background check for a gun,he needs to pass one to buy a pen
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

He shot a gun when he was 10 or 12. It knocked him down and was scary. When I was 8 I shot my dad's 12 gauge using his shoulder to hold up the gun as he squatted in front of me. It was loud and knocked me on my ass in the snow hurt my shoulder. It was great. I'm 50 now and still remember it. Guy is a pu--y.
    PatAz likes this.

I wrote him the following:

Well,

I saw a link to your article read it and wanted to contact you. First know that I am a gun person and have a conceiled carry liscense. If you don't understand me and us please feel free to write back and I will answer any question you might have. I want to extend this offer because you should probably understand that the VAST majority of gun people are as nice as you could meet. We do not condone violence and are against it unless absolutely nessesary. Second, and this is a personal pet peeve of mine, I really don't like it when anti's try to convince others that people like me should not be able to live our lives as we see fit. If you don't personally like firearms that's ok, don't own one. It's not ok to try to rob someone else of their right (it is a right ya know). Now please understand that reading your column tends to incite a bit of anger in people like me but I figured an olive branch and an invitation to a honest adult conversation would carry us both much farther. As for the gentleman you spoke of there are ******** with in all groups and that's 1 guy. The vast majority of us would not risk a liscense to excercise a right that we all feel strongly about (and a liscense we worked hard for) for a drink. In Texas (my home) if you carry and are found to have ANY bac (>.01) you lose your liscense forever, along with being charged with a crime. I am very willing to hear any thoughts you may have and heck if ya want come on down to Texas and I'll take you out to a range and show you how to safely handle a firearm!

Respectfully

Shannon Dowdell
    Tomball Texas

VIP Member
    Gun people. I just don’t get them.
    Ill-informed biased fools, I just don’t get them.
    PatAz likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

"If a regular citizen wasn’t allowed to carry a gun, then the temptation wouldn’t be there to pull the trigger when tempers flare."

flawed logic. you can subsatute other items and say the same result.

If a regular citizen wasn’t allowed to carry a glass bottle, then the temptation wouldn’t be there to smash it over there head when tempers flare.
    If a regular citizen wasn’t allowed to carry a knife, then the temptation wouldn’t be there to stab when tempers flare.
    If a regular citizen wasn’t allowed to carry a stick, then the temptation wouldn’t be there to break it over there head when tempers flare.
    If a regular citizen wasn’t allowed to carry car keys, then the temptation wouldn’t be there to run someone over when tempers flare.

I do not know about all of you but I do see a pattern.
    when tempers flare, a person that is looking for a fight will use what ever is avalable when not thinking rationaly.

I would also say that is not 95% of people that legaly carry a weapon. (there are nuts in every group)
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Log into the Huffington Post some time, but you will be jeopardizing your sanity.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

That guy gives bad journalists a bad name. That is, quite possibly, the worst article I have read on any subject written by a professed professional. I am embarressed for him. How he passed journalism school and got a job writing anything other than jokes on popsicle sticks is amazing. He must have some pretty damning pictures of several people.
    PatAz likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moby clarke View Post
    That guy gives bad journalists a bad name. That is, quite possibly, the worst article I have read on any subject written by a professed professional. I am embarressed for him. How he passed journalism school and got a job writing anything other than jokes on popsicle sticks is amazing. He must have some pretty damning pictures of several people.
    City Beat is Cincinnati's alternative lifestyle rag. It is found free near the door or many restaurants, particularly in the downtown area. Its content is always edgey and tends toward the ultra liberal. On the rare occassion that I have picked one up (generally while bored at a restaurant), I have never found anything of value in it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

GM
    I think the article is funny. It is obvious that the writer is just other anti that has no clue what he is talking about.
    PatAz likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Based on the maturity of the logic in the article, I would guess the writer is about 12 except he says he carries a walking cane.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links