Somewhat eventful night - someone in our yard

This is a discussion on Somewhat eventful night - someone in our yard within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My mom woke me up about an hour ago and said a big car full of people pulled up in front of our house and ...

Thread: Somewhat eventful night - someone in our yard

My mom woke me up about an hour ago and said a big car full of people pulled up in front of our house and someone was dropped off and that they walked into our back yard by the big shed we just finished building. By the time she woke me up, my step-dad was already outside. I put on my shorts, holstered my gun, grabbed the two flashlights next to my bed and put on my shoes.

If my step-dad wasn't already outside, I wouldn't have gone out and just had my mom call the police, but I didn't want him to do anything stupid and/or get hurt. I went out and met up with him. He said the guy was walking along our fence line with a flashlight looking for something and when he called out, he ran towards the back of our yard and jumped the fence.

There is a church with a large open field behind us that he ran into. We walked over there and found the guys wallet on the other side of our fence. I thought the whole dropping your wallet routine was just a Hollywood thing, guess not

When my step-dad was confident he wasn't around anymore, we went back inside and called the cops. My mom told them what happened and told them the guys name and they said they were already out looking for him.

A police officer stopped by and picked up the wallet and my mom asked why they were looking for him; if he was a burglar or something. She just said he's a long time drunk they know quite well that isn't supposed to be drinking and that there is a warrant out for his arrest. The officer said someone called and said that he was at the bar with a bunch of people.

They are planning on calling him and letting him know they found his wallet and he can stop by and pick it up from the police station , they are doubtful he will though.

I was open carrying, since you can't carry concealed in Wisconsin for a couple more months. The police officer didn't say anything about my gun, so I guess you could classify this as a positive encounter while carrying too.

On a side note, I was using a Surefire 6PX Pro and a $7 single battery 123A Akoray flashlight. The Surefire is rated at 200 lumens and the Akoray is rated at 230 with rechargeable 3.7V batteries, those two lights can really light up a back yard or two. The quality of the Akoray's are pretty hit or miss though, I have two and my cousin has one and 2 of the 3 will randomly change brightness levels and stuff on their own. The third works perfectly though.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

123a batteries are around 1$ on ebay fyi.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    123a batteries are around 1$ on ebay fyi.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
    I meant the flashlight itself was $7. The rechargeable batteries I paid like $5 for 2.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Can't you carry anyway you like, as long as you're on your property (in Wisconsin?)
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    Can't you carry anyway you like, as long as you're on your property (in Wisconsin?)
    Case law says you can, but under certain circumstances:

The court went on to state that a Wisconsin resident has the right to carry a concealed weapon on his or her property, business, or home, when: 1) the need to exercise this right is significant, 2) the person has no other reasonable means to keep and handle the weapon, and 3) the person was not motivated by any unlawful purpose in concealing the weapon.

I'm not a lawyer, so the safest bet for me was to just open carry, since I wouldn't need to prove that I have no other reasonable means to keep and handle the weapon, etc.

I also went onto the church property, where I can open carry, but cannot carry concealed. I also wasn't wearing a shirt when I went outside, so it would be hard to conceal a gun anyways. I did put on a shirt before the cop showed up.

Links