Anyone have to deal with bats? - Page 3

Anyone have to deal with bats?

This is a discussion on Anyone have to deal with bats? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Bark'n Fortunately, while it can and does happen, the risk of rabies are very small. Only 10 cases reported to the CDC ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anyone have to deal with bats?

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Fortunately, while it can and does happen, the risk of rabies are very small. Only 10 cases reported to the CDC since 1960.

Bats eat insects so they are rarely exposed to rabies virus. More risk from stray dogs, opossums, raccoons and other wildlife than from bats.

Still there is some risk, but very small.
    For that area ? We've had 4 cases of bats with rabies in the last 12 yrs in this county alone. Skunks are the highest carriers of rabies here, with a very very low # of feral cats (6) being 2nd in that same time period.

We used to play as young kids in this one open area by all of the houses .... hide-n-seek, etc. and it was loaded with bats. They would come zipping by us all of the time. We never had any real issues with them and were used to them, and liked they kept the mesquito population down.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Moderator
    JDE101, Thanks for the first-hand experience. I'm glad that this is the perfect time of year if we do have to get rid of them.

Sigs, thanks for the link!

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    A tennis racquet is an ideal tool for dealing with bats indoors. Find a beater at a yard sale, paint it black, and you have the "tactical" model.
    its not tactical without a scope, laser, and flashlight, have you learned nothing from youtube?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    JDE101, Thanks for the first-hand experience. I'm glad that this is the perfect time of year if we do have to get rid of them.

Sigs, thanks for the link!
    You are welcome. Be sure and ask the "pro" where would be the best place to put a bat house if you want to keep them around to control the bug population. I didn't think to ask the expert and just bought a bat house at an outdoor center and put it up where I thought it would be convenient. That was back in '97, and still no bats live in it! Like they say about realestate--location, location, location!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Back in the day I remember being out by the car port smacking bats with old and long fishing poles. They would fly out of the eve of the car port and we would smack them mid-flight. There was only one spot where they could get in and out. It was pretty fun thing for my dad, brother and myself to do in the evenings.

Senior Moderator
    Well, here's the update. Apparently we have two places that for-sure bats are using to enter our house. They are both in the old part of the house though the pro says he sees evidence that they have at least TRIED to get in to two other places on the new construction with several other places that they MIGHT use if those two main entrances are sealed off.

He also found guano in our basement and in a couple other places around the house and thinks we did have a bigger population but they got scared out due to the construction and are now coming back.

Unfortunately, the type of bats we have live for 30 years and they home-in on where they were born, SOOOOO.. if they were born in our house they will continue to try to go back home due to their homing.

Oh joy! Now we have to decide whether or not to hire him to do the exclusion and sealing. hmmmmm

$$$$

Administrator
    I can send you guys a care package full of bottle rockets and firecrackers. It probably won't work, but you'll have some fun at least.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Well, here's the update. Apparently we have two places that for-sure bats are using to enter our house. They are both in the old part of the house though the pro says he sees evidence that they have at least TRIED to get in to two other places on the new construction with several other places that they MIGHT use if those two main entrances are sealed off.

He also found guano in our basement and in a couple other places around the house and thinks we did have a bigger population but they got scared out due to the construction and are now coming back.

Unfortunately, the type of bats we have live for 30 years and they home-in on where they were born, SOOOOO.. if they were born in our house they will continue to try to go back home due to their homing.

Oh joy! Now we have to decide whether or not to hire him to do the exclusion and sealing. hmmmmm

$$$$
    I'm curious what evidence he found that they tried to get in? The places where our bats were going in and out were just tiny cracks! We spotted them at dusk as they came out. There wasn't any "evidence"!!!

Is the "pro" certified by your state? How much is he going to charge you? Is there a possibility of you getting a second estimate from another certified professional? I'd at least want some references from satisfied customers before hiring the guy. I am by no means an expert, but in having gone through the experience of having bats removed from our house, some things in what you said he said just don't sound "right".
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links