Something to keep in mind during a disaster

This is a discussion on Something to keep in mind during a disaster within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I work in communications so I figured I'd throw this out there. I was listening to a local radio show and they played actual 911 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mprp

Thread: Something to keep in mind during a disaster

I work in communications so I figured I'd throw this out there. I was listening to a local radio show and they played actual 911 calls after the earthquake hit the east coast. It's amazing to me how many people think 911 is their personal 411 to get curent events, rather than to report an emergency.

Operator - "911, what is your emergency?"

Caller - "Yeah, uhhhh, is something going on? Did we just have an earthquake?"

Operator - "Yes there have been reports of an earthquake in our area. Sir, do you need an emergency service"

Caller - "No, I was just calling to find out what's going on."

So if you're one of the people who actually need help during an earthquake or hurricane and can't get through, it's because of that guy and thousands more like him.

Here's an interesting article on landlines, radio, texting and social media and how they were affected by the quake. Interesting to see how it compares to upcoming hurricanes or quakes.

Cellphone service falls short after earthquake - The Washington Post
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Administrator
    Yes, that is one of the most anoying things for those who work in emergency services. Even if its something simple as the storm sirens going off- meatheads still call to see if there really is a possible tornado coming.
    "Just blame Sixto"

People are stupid, its a proven fact

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, that is one of the most anoying things for those who work in emergency services. Even if its something simple as the storm sirens going off- meatheads still call to see if there really is a possible tornado coming.
    That is true. I recall one individual who got days off for an unorthodox response to such a call.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Yep - and I've heard about people calling 911 because a fast food restaurant got their order wrong and all kinds of nonsense.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    I remember back before 911 existed. If there was a natural disaster you turned on the TV or radio to get information. Now people think 911 is their source for disaster infomation, TV and rqadio seem to be an after thought. Of course people also think the world will end if they can't use a cell phone or text message!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    It’s a matter of laziness dialing 911 only requires you dial 3 numbers while dialing the non-emergency number requires having to dial seven or ten digits. And heaven forbid they have to get off their duffs and find the remote and push a button to change the channel and miss part of the latest sitcom or reality show.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

911 recieved to many nuisance call July 4th a genltman in a motorcycle wreck was unable to get badly needed emergeny services and latter died from his injuries. I wonder if he would still be here had he recieved the help he would have normally been able to get if people weren't calling and complaining about firework noise. I also wander how many of those Idiots that called in now feel somewhat responsible for his death. Oh, heck what am I thinking that would require thought and responsibility, what am I thinking.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Obviously you guys did not get the memo. The Government is the answer to all your problems. Just call Uncle, he'll get everything taken care of.

FWIW, my mom called me to ask if we had felt it after their calls died down. They got a bunch and evacuated some city buildings. My and my wife's cell phones both rang but I was unable to answer them. So I called her back. I had to ask to speak to her and when she picked up I immediately went into, "Auntie M, Auntie M grab Toto it's an earthquake, it's an earthquake."
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I know it is old school but this is one reason I still use the old CB in my truck and have been thinking about the 10 meter ham radios. I have also been thinking about putting a CB at my brother's house across town.

My wife and I, along with some other relatives that live in the area are ham radio operators too. It's comes in pretty handy when other forms of communication gets clogged up.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CUMMINS View Post
    People are stupid, its a proven fact
    The average IQ is 100, so for every IQ of 125 out there, there's a village idiot right behind him.

Links