Dog training

This is a discussion on Dog training within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; How does one go about training a neighbor how to train their dog? My neighbor's dog barks 24/7. 7 am on the weekends, after 11 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dog training

Angry Dog training

How does one go about training a neighbor how to train their dog? My neighbor's dog barks 24/7. 7 am on the weekends, after 11 pm during the week, I can't spen 5 minutes in my back yard without thei dog barking redo rediculously. To make it worse their side door/fence line is right by the window I sleep by.

I know a dog's job is to bark at a threat but how do I train my neighbors tontrain their dog? I think their technique of yelling, "shut the heck up" at the dog does not seem to be working at this point.
    Last edited by rstickle; August 27th, 2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Language workaround
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

2. Remove Ads

It has been my experience that it is very helpful if the trainer is a least as smart as the dog.

VIP Member
    Asking for a solution to this on a gun forum could bring certain expected answers . j/k

The only sure solution that I know of for this is acreage.

The others involve speaking to your neighbor about it. I've never had a dog I couldn't train, and I've known folks who've never owned a dog that they could. I'm betting this dog doesn't get walked or socialized. A simple walk a day could correct the problem. Regardless, they are responsible for the noise nuisance and should seek professional training, since they seem to be unable to manage the dog themselves.
    Justified likes this.

I'd purchase a case of the canned air horns (like you use in a small boat), and every time the dog barked in excess I'd give him a blast. They hate it and he will shy away from it big time.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Asking for a solution to this on a gun forum could bring certain expected answers . j/k

The only sure solution that I know of for this is acreage.

The others involve speaking to your neighbor about it. I've never had a dog I couldn't train, and I've known folks who've never owned a dog that they could. I'm betting this dog doesn't get walked or socialized. A simple walk a day could correct the problem. Regardless, they are responsible for the noise nuisance and should seek professional training, since they seem to be unable to manage the dog themselves.
    I would LOVE the solution of acreage, but sadly not obtainable at this point, unless soemone want to buy a house for more than the current market value (thanks housing market).

I wish they were more "reasonable" neighbors but I fear mearly suggesting professional training for their dog will fall on deaf ears. Perhaps the airhorn technique.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I believe suggesting how to solve a neighbor's dog problem...with the neighbor...will not make better neighbor relationships.OMO

I believe there are only two options, move or suck it up. You've already said one was not possible.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I believe suggesting how to solve a neighbor's dog problem...with the neighbor...will not make better neighbor relationships.OMO

I believe there are only two options, move or suck it up. You've already said one was not possible.
    Agreed, it's like telling someone how to raise their kids
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Call the Humane Society and report it.

Express you concern for the animal; NOT your anger at it's IDIOT owner.

Tell them you've heard that incessent barking is a sign of stress & anxiety; and you fear for the animal's well-being. (You do not have to let them know who you are.)

The Humane Society will send out someone to inspect & interview the owner. (I used to do this with dogs & horses for the HS in my area.)

It's been my experience that most owners are aware of the animals problems but, just don't know what to do. The HS will interview the owner and recommend a trainer in the area; or may even confiscate the animal if they suspect any abuse or neglect. (I've even had owners ask me to go ahead and take animals with issues they didn't know how to handle.)

Believe me, this is a very good (NON-confrontational) way to address the issue without you personally notifying AC or the police of a nuscience animal.

-
    Ianator likes this.

I'm a dog owner and my dog barks when people walk by, but not overly so. I'm surrounded by dogs and some of them do it constantly -- the owners don't realize that when a dog barks at people walking by and they keep walking, it signals the dog that to make people go away, they should keep barking. If the dog wont' stop , they should have them out of view of passerbys, like out back.

If the dog is barking when nobody is around, the dog wants in, or to play, etc and that is 100% the owner's issue. The owner should be outside with their dog if that is happening all the time.

But for your part, you gotta talk to them, but do not be confrontational. Try to come up with some ways to handle it. Maybe talk about a Bark collar for when they're outside. If the owner is like "I WANT my dog to let me know when people are around" you need to point out that the dog signaling you is one thing, annoying the neighbors is another. My dog barks like mad if someone comes into the driveway, which is good. She has a completely different bark when people are on the street.

Owners need more training than their dogs 90% of the time.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Agreed, it's like telling someone how to raise their kids
    Incessant barking is usually a sign of boredom. Barky dog need to go for a brisk walk morning and evening. I'm a huge supporter of Cesar Milan's methods.

Exercise > Discipline > Affection.

Good dog!

Maybe express your frustration with your neighbor and offer to take the dog for walks if they won't. Maybe offer, as a token of neighborly solidarity, one of Cesar Milan's books or videos.

Or, as has been previously suggested, a call to the local Humane Society could be in order - to get the dog walking so to speak.

Administrator
    File a "Disturbing The Peace" Police Report.

Then file another one if they cannot quiet the dog.

If some of your other neighbors are also bothered by the incessant barking then have them file a Police report also.

Then they will have to get rid of the dog. You pay your taxes & you have a right to some percentage of solitude in your own home.

The dogs never do leave their house or their tiny yard. I bet I they walk them once a day it would not be as bad.

I want to try to fo it peacefully as I do have to live next to them.
    - George Orwell Military

Administrator
    "and offer to take the dog for walks if they won't."

Not such a great idea. Anything happens to the dog on a walk...or the dog takes off or gets sick..& they accuse him of doing it intentionally.

I sure do understand that.
    If possible you do not want to make an enemy out of the neighbor that you're stuck living next to.
    On the flip side of the coin you can't live in your own home going bonkers or wearing ear plugs all the time.
    And...you can't take it out on the dog. It's not the dogs fault.

After you've exhausted all other options you might be left with an only option of filing Police reports.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "and offer to take the dog for walks if they won't."

Not such a great idea. Anything happens to the dog on a walk...or the dog takes off or gets sick..& they accuse him of doing it intentionally.

I sure do understand that.
    If possible you do not want to make an enemy out of the neighbor that you're stuck living next to.
    On the flip side of the coin you can't live in your own home going bonkers or wearing ear plugs all the time.
    And...you can't take it out on the dog. It's not the dogs fault.

After you've exhausted all other options you might be left with an only option of filing Police reports.
    True first thing I thought was, "the dogs got away". I thought about ear plugs but I like to know what's going on.
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    From the dog training I've been exposed to, it's 95% about training the owners. Hve you ever wanted a dog? If it's not out of the question you might just buy the dog from him and train him yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links