Rant about selfish neigbor

This is a discussion on Rant about selfish neigbor within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This has absolutely nothing to do about guns. It is just a rant about inconsiderate people. I could go on, but here in bullet format ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rant about selfish neigbor

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Rant about selfish neigbor

This has absolutely nothing to do about guns. It is just a rant about inconsiderate people.

I could go on, but here in bullet format is the sequence of events.

• Tree falls on house. I have friend take tree off of house in exchange for firewood. It is agreed he would take the trunk and large branches, but leave the rest for me to clean up.
    • Turns out, only half the tree fell on my house. The other part of trunk is rotting too, so I hire a contractor to cut down tree. He does so and as agreed, leaves debris, but cuts trunk into small firewood sized pieces and most of branches. This leave a lot of debris in my back yard.
    • I rent large yard debris dumpster from county.
    • Since I have another tree in my front yard that is slowly destroying my roof, contractor cuts down other tree as dumpster being delivered.
    • As contractor is loading most of the large trunk pieces and large branches into dumpster, neighbor asks contractor if he could take wood. Contractor says to ask me. He never does and just starts taking wood.
    • I come out and see him taking wood. He says he is helping me by taking wood. Since it really didn’t matter to me, I just let him take wood. I am thinking it would have been nice if he had asked me but I let it go.
    • Neighbor takes what he wants and leaves. He offers to lend me his chain saw and wheel barrel which I take. No other physical labor is offered.
    • As I am cutting branches into smaller pieces, chain comes off. I must have been doing something wrong as I am not a chain saw expert, but give him chain saw, offer to pay for it if I broke it. He says, it just needs to be reattached and he will do it as soon as he is done with his chores.
    • He “never finished with his chores” but had time to visit with neighbors and other non-chore items as I wait for chain saw to be repaired. 2 hours later, I go to Home Depot and buy my own chain saw.
    • He never helps load debris or fix his chain saw.
    • At end of day, there is still a lot of work to be done. We discovered that there is a pile of firewood about 4 feet x 2 feet and we stack it nicely in front yard. Neighbor offers to take it too, and we consent. But it is too hot, so he doesn’t take it that day.
    • I put an ad in Craigs List offering firewood in exchange for say an hour’s labor removing debris from back yard.
    • Two people call and say they will take wood but will not help with debris. I decline.
    • One guy agrees and comes the next morning. He loads wood in his pick up truck and proceeds to remove vast quantities of debris. He is a very hard worker. He put in more than his hour and we clear out most of remaining back yard. He was a life saver. Turns out he is a Christian, have gone to some of the same churches and an electrician. We start to become friends.
    • Neighbor comes over, pissed and wants his wheel barrel back. I ask him if he is upset and he says that he thought the wood was his. I say, well, this guy offered to exchange labor for wood. Neighbor is very very pissed that I didn’t just give him the wood in exchange for a wheel barrel and a chain saw that was never repaired and returned so I could use it.
    • Well, I made a new friend and lost a neighbor who I do not think ever really liked me anyways. So I am OK with that. I guess I will not be borrowing any more of his tools in the future.

I just can’t believe the Little Red Hen attitude of my neighbor. This other guy gave more than his fair share of work in exchange for a small pile of firewood that he needed for camping. I feel like I got the better end of the deal, but I think every one left happy.

Ok, rant over.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Welcome visitor. We wish you to best stay as you visit our little backwater blue planet. It is called Earth. And on Earth you will encounter what is called the Human Race. Or is it the Human disgRACE? I cant remember but either way welcome!!!
    Riana likes this.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

From Robert Frost's "Mending Wall"...“Good fences make good neighbors”.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    OK, I see this as a 'setting boundaries' issue. You just gave up your control and your rights and let your neighbor take liberties, which emboldened him.

Agree with Badger. Also, it doesn't seem you're big on yard work.

Be careful with the chain saw. Leather gloves and eye protection for sure, and even chaps. Tree professionals will tell you wear a helmet with face guard.
    Gforty and gottabkiddin like this.

If he wanted all the wood, he should have took all the wood the first time.

It's better to piss off nieghbor, Than piss on nieghbor JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    My grandparents were farmers, with large chunks of land between them and their neighbors. My grandmother and I were sitting on the porch one day and a neighbor drove by, waved, and kept on moving. I asked grandma if they were good neighbors and her reply stuck with me to this day: "yes, they leave you the hell alone."
    thephanatik likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    I feel your pain. Sadly, there's no IQ test, nor sanity evaluation as criteria to purchase a home in my neighborhood.

Oh how I look forward to my next home (still 10 years out), surrounded by acreage.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

VIP Member
    It would appear that your neighbor is an opportunist and like many people, he expects something in return. In my lifetime I've learned that many of us take advantage of situations. As for neighbors, I learned the hard way NOT to loan anything unless I operate it myself. More times than not, it never seems to come back unless I go over and ask for it. As such, your chances of retaining a neighbor as a friend is greatly reduced. I got bit this past year by offering to help an elderly lady with her computer. She offered to pay but I declined. The downside, is that she now calls me every week and I finally had to change my attitude. One time I was unable to repair her mess and then she was angry with me! "No good deed goes unpunished"
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I'd like to read his thread :)

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I think that should be high fences. Like my 8 footer. Lol.

Having basically been there and done that, I'll give you some advice I wish I had gotten. Let it go. You do not need to get into a war with your neighbor. It starts out with something small, like this, and then escalates to criminal activity on their part. I've lost livestock and even one of my dogs because of this stupid feud, with no way to prove they're responsible. All over what started as a dispute over an easement. I was right, and I won, but I often wonder if I was really the winner. Sometimes I think it might have been better to eat the costs originally incurred than to go through what I've been through.

Just for your info,it takes about 3 minutes to put the chain back on the saw.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Work exchanges among neighbors in rural areas in my Dad's day was commonplace. ( "I have a mower, you have a baler, I'll mow hay for both of us and you can bale hay for both of us") type arrangements. Dad referred to it as "trading work". Seemed to work for that generation at that time and place. In modern day suburbia these kinds of verbal deals aren't always the best way to maintain cordial relations with the neighbors. I've come to prefer entering into contracts for work and services outside my circle of friends and neighbors.
    packinnova likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot1 View Post
    Just for your info,it takes about 3 minutes to put the chain back on the saw.
    If that long. Normally two nuts that hold the bar in place and set screwto move bar forward and back. Loosen nuts turn screw to retract bar, slide chain over bar, tighten screw so chain is has 1/8 between chain and bar and tighten two nuts back. Done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links