Survived Irene

This is a discussion on Survived Irene within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well Irene came and went. Survived it with no damage to house or trees. Have been without power since about 6PM Saturday. No idea when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survived Irene

VIP Member

Thumbs up Survived Irene

Well Irene came and went. Survived it with no damage to house or trees. Have been without power since about 6PM Saturday. No idea when we will get power back in my part of Richmond. Dominion Power suppose to give an update around noon today. Guess I'll get an idea at that time.

Anyway, just checking in with my friends here.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'm glad to hear you're OK. I guess you have a generator?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Glad your OK. Now go help rebuild Highway 12 so I can get to Hatteras Island next week for vaca.......
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Glad to hear you're OK, and no major damage. I hope the other DC'ers that were in Irene's path fared as well.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Being a little over 100 miles inland we faired well, lost a few limbs off the maple and sweet gums and a few shingles. Our power flickered numerous times but was never off for more than a few minutes. The people in town did not fare as well; lots of big old oaks downed taking out power lines and most areas do not have power yet but there was minimal flooding.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Glad you made it through unscathed. Yeah, the power outage has gotta hang with the high heat and humidity. Hang in there, I'm sure they're working as fast as they can for you folks..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm glad to hear you're OK. I guess you have a generator?
    Unfortunately no, I don't have a generator. At work today, power on and internet up.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2 days without power
    1 section of old fence to replace
    3 pieces of siding
    a metric TON of small branches and twigs to clean up
    met the neighbors

All I got way out here was a few large oak branches down(soccer ball diameter). Of course murphy was on me right off the bat. My saw decided to "act up" while bucking up the largest branch and it has now given up the ghost.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Glad you made it with no real damage. Might see if you can track down a generator. It can take several weeks for power to get restored. Hopefully your power will be restored before you read this post though. Good luck!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Here in NE New Jersey, we have some of the worst flooding in history.
    Nearly 9 inches fell in my hometown...that in addition to what had already been one of the wettest Augusts on record.
    A lot of power outages, washed out and flooded roadways, including several major interstates.
    It was nearly impossible for me to get home today due to all the road closures.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I caught some house damage,mostly when a large oak branch fell,power was out 12 hours.
    Alot of other folks in town took it far worse,so I cant whine too much.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Almost every town or village in this area has suffered major damage to roads, bridges and homes.
    Loss of life was kept low although several hundred people had to be rescued and many towns have been isolated due to bridge and road flooding. I live in a town next to Schenectady and have to go about 20 miles north or west to get out of this area (all four bridges that lead out are closed or damaged as of this morning).

Pleasure boats along the Hudson and Mohawk rivers are stacked up like cord-wood at some of the locks and bridges.

A few local dams are at the bursting point but have held up and since the water levels are finally going down will probably be okay. Several towns have been totally washed away. Lots of power outages but the utility guys are really doing a great job at getting everything up and back on line.

High winds + water softened soil + big trees = blocked roads, downed lines, crushed cars and damaged homes. Lots of chainsaws buzzing on most streets and, at least in this neighborhood, piles of debris are waiting for the town shredder to pick them up.

The shelters in the area are doing a good job as is the Red Cross.

All in a a massive amount of damage that will take a long time and a lot of money to mend but deaths due to Irene were kept low.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Almost every town or village in this area has suffered major damage to roads, bridges and homes.
    Loss of life was kept low although several hundred people had to be rescued and many towns have been isolated due to bridge and road flooding. I live in a town next to Schenectady and have to go about 20 miles north or west to get out of this area (all four bridges that lead out are closed or damaged as of this morning).

Pleasure boats along the Hudson and Mohawk rivers are stacked up like cord-wood at some of the locks and bridges.

A few local dams are at the bursting point but have held up and since the water levels are finally going down will probably be okay. Several towns have been totally washed away. Lots of power outages but the utility guys are really doing a great job at getting everything up and back on line.

High winds + water softened soil + big trees = blocked roads, downed lines, crushed cars and damaged homes. Lots of chainsaws buzzing on most streets and, at least in this neighborhood, piles of debris are waiting for the town shredder to pick them up.

The shelters in the area are doing a good job as is the Red Cross.

All in a a massive amount of damage that will take a long time and a lot of money to mend but deaths due to Irene were kept low.

bosco
    This is actually great news. Low death count is great, everything else can be replaced/rebuilt
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I never paid much attention to Hurricanes living in central Kansas,I now live 70 miles from the Gulf Of Mexico and everytime I hear hurricane I look to see which way its heading before I decide to load up and get out of town before the evacuation routes get blocked
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links