Called the Cops on a little boy today...

This is a discussion on Called the Cops on a little boy today... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had to run an errand this morning that I had not anticipated. On my way to my destination, I see a small boy walking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Called the Cops on a little boy today...

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

I had to run an errand this morning that I had not anticipated.

On my way to my destination, I see a small boy walking on the side of the road. He is about 8-10 years old, Hispanic, wearing clothes that appear to be "new". He has a back pack on. This is all taking place about a mile from an elementary school but it doesn't occur to me that I am near the school until after everything is over.

After I passed the boy, I decided to call the police to check on him to make sure that everything is okay. He is at a strange location at the wrong time of day - when he should be in school. There's not an immediate place to pull off so I drive a little further up the road to where there is a safe place to pull over. As I pull over, I notice a large black man walking out of town - in a direction towards the boy (the boy is walking towards town). They (the man and the boy) are far enough apart that they cannot see each other. I didn't want to call "911" because I did not consider there to be an emergency. I, instead, look up the number for the Sheriff's department to report the matter. I was transferred a couple of times but eventually get a hold of someone to which I can explain what is happening.

The dispatch asked me the color of his shirt and much to my embarrassment, I did not remember. I try to work on situational awareness and yet this small detail escapes me. In the future, I will try to take a better mental picture as to what color someone's clothes are, etc. I do remember that he was wearing a polo type shirt and blue jean shorts. I think the back pack was blue.

I started to double back and drive down the road to make sure the boy was alright. The part of town I was in, however, is frequented by the police quite often so I was pretty sure that a unit would be by shortly. Not even a minute after I pulled back onto the road, I saw a police car. I believe he was going to go and check things and it wasn't even five minutes past this time, I saw a Sheriff's car going in the boy's direction.

I hope everything is okay and I hope that I didn't drop the ball in case there was something I could've/should've done, etc. I thought I had the Sheriff's number in my phone but it wasn't there when I needed. I swear, I believe my iPhone eats numbers sometimes. I'm going to put this number in my phone tonight so that I'll have it if I ever need it again.

DCG

With all due respect, I don't see a lot of reason to call the police with the information given.
    bds9009 likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

It's a good thing to have a few numbers on hand, besides 911.

When in doubt, go with your gut feeling.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Yes and no. A child walking alone during school hours, when he should be in school, could be in trouble. He could be lost and not able to find the school (especially now on the first few days of class). He could be ill but walking home on his own. Never mind of course the ever present possibility of playing hookey.

There's no harm in checking. When something seems out of the ordinary, especially where kid's welfare is concerned, better safe than sorry.

Part of the story, the part about the black person in the other direction doesn't really make sense and taken by itself sound like the OP is a tad over the top. OTOH, if the concern was that a child walking alone would soon encounter an adult male also walking alone, the better safe than sorry approach would seem to me to make some sense.

We live in such a goofy world full of so many nuts that I think the OP did the right thing. Only thing to have done differently would have been to observe until one was certain an officer had interacted with the child.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

It was probably nothing but my gut did tell me to call. I should point out since my post didn't mention it, the boy was walking away from the school - not towards it - so its not like he missed the bus and was walking to school. I should also have noted that this happened well after school had already begun...

I should also have said that this was taking place on a two lane highway....not a location where you would see anyone typically walking, let alone a child. In other words, he was pretty much walking in the ditch because there is not a side walk.

Sorry for the lack of info I left out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Yes and no. A child walking alone during school hours, when he should be in school, could be in trouble. He could be lost and not able to find the school (especially now on the first few days of class). He could be ill but walking home on his own. Never mind of course the ever present possibility of playing hookey.

There's no harm in checking. When something seems out of the ordinary, especially where kid's welfare is concerned, better safe than sorry.

Part of the story, the part about the black person in the other direction doesn't really make sense and taken by itself sound like the OP is a tad over the top. OTOH, if the concern was that a child walking alone would soon encounter an adult male also walking alone, the better safe than sorry approach would seem to me to make some sense.

We live in such a goofy world full of so many nuts that I think the OP did the right thing. Only thing to have done differently would have been to observe until one was certain an officer had interacted with the child.
    I didn't mean to imply that there was a direct connection between the man walking towards the child or not. It just so happened to be another unusual occurrence that may or may not be related to the first unusual occurrence relating to the little boy. The man's race is irrelevant to me, I would've reported the incident regardless of his skin color. I only mentioned it here because I also mentioned it to dispatch. Dispatch did, btw, ask me the child's race, etc.

People of all colors do good things and people of all colors do bad things. That's one thing all races/ethnicities have in common.

I hope I didn't offend you, DefCon...as people are always telling me, "I live in a different time zone", and remember the days of walking down the road for miles by myself and being bothered by no one. I guess it's not that way anymore...
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    I hope I didn't offend you, DefCon...as people are always telling me, "I live in a different time zone", and remember the days of walking down the road for miles by myself and being bothered by no one. I guess it's not that way anymore...
    No, sir. You didn't offend me at all...no worries.

I know what you are talking about. There was a time when people could walk down the road and not worry about anyone bothering them. In this day and time, however, I myself wouldn't feel comfortable doing it and definitely wouldn't be comfortable with an unattended child doing it. He may be able to do it 100 times without an event but its the one bad encounter that could be his last...this is the one that unnerves me.

Take care,
    DCG

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Something about the situation tipped you off enough to take action. Trust your instincts and intuition. Even if you are not consciously aware of what it was that drove you to action, there is good chance your 'feelings' were warranted.
    ppkheat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Something about the situation tipped you off enough to take action. Trust your instincts and intuition. Even if you are not consciously aware of what it was that drove you to action, there is good chance your 'feelings' were warranted.
    Thanks, I appreciate your kind words.

This is the kind of situation that can drive you crazy, make you second guess your instincts. Don't do that to yourself, you did the right thing. no harm, no foul, you put in the hands of the people who will decide what needs to be done. you made no accusations or threats, only concerns. there are far to many news reports of trajedy's. you did the right thing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    It was probably nothing but my gut did tell me to call.
    I've posted the following here many times. But once more, every mistake I have ever made in my long life has come from not listening to my gut. Your gut told you to make the call and that was the right thing to do. You did it. Pat yourself on the back.

I once called officers not because I thought something was wrong, but because I simply saw a woman who appeared to me to be in need of assistance. She was pushing a baby in a stroller, walking with 3-4 pre-school kids, carrying bunches of groceries some piled on the stroller, and she just plain needed someone to give her a hand. I couldn't stop, so I call the non-emergency number and asked if someone could drive by and maybe give her a hand getting home. Dispatch was very nice and assured me someone would quickly check on the woman's welfare and assist her.

You just do what seems right and hope for the best. That's all anyone can do.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I've posted the following here many times. But once more, every mistake I have ever made in my long life has come from not listening to my gut. Your gut told you to make the call and that was the right thing to do. You did it. Pat yourself on the back.

I once called officers not because I thought something was wrong, but because I simply saw a woman who appeared to me to be in need of assistance. She was pushing a baby in a stroller, walking with 3-4 pre-school kids, carrying bunches of groceries some piled on the stroller, and she just plain needed someone to give her a hand. I couldn't stop, so I call the non-emergency number and asked if someone could drive by and maybe give her a hand getting home. Dispatch was very nice and assured me someone would quickly check on the woman's welfare and assist her.

You just do what seems right and hope for the best. That's all anyone can do.
    Very cool. I like to hear stories like this one. ;-)

Thanks for the kinds words.

There really is no down side to calling on a situation like this. In times long past, it was the normal thing to do when you took interest in something that looked out of place when kids were involved.

If it were my kid in a place and time that wasn't expected I'd sure want someone to question it. The perils that await kids now are magnitudes worse that we ever thought of 30 or 40 years ago.

I think you did the right thing. It usually leads to trouble when I don't follow my gut.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links