You decide, good or bad

You decide, good or bad

This is a discussion on You decide, good or bad within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; TUCSON, Ariz The Republican Party in Representative Gabrielle Giffords' home county is raising eyebrows by raffling off a Glock handgun -- the same brand ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: You decide, good or bad

You decide, good or bad

TUCSON, Ariz The Republican Party in Representative Gabrielle Giffords' home county is raising eyebrows by raffling off a Glock handgun -- the same brand handgun with which Giffords, a Democrat, was shot through the head in January.

"When I first heard about this last week in an email, I said 'That's a joke, a sick joke. Nobody could be doing that,'" said Pima County Democratic Party Chairman Jeff Rogers, who called on the GOP to make the prize an iPad or a set of golf clubs, "or anything that doesn't conjure up images of that terrible day."

"This is like tearing the scab off a wound. This community is still healing."

The county Republican organization announced the fund-raiser in its online newsletter, Tracks, on August 26.

"Get yourself a new Glock 23 .40 cal handgun for just 10 bucks -- if your name is drawn," the newsletter reads.

A picture of the handgun, being raffled with three 12-round magazines and a case, also appears in the newsletter. The Republicans are selling 125 tickets.
    Story: Doctors: Ariz. shooting suspect still not competent for trial

Mike Shaw, interim chairman of the Pima County Republican Party, said he's had no complaints, noting past gun raffles have been effective fundraisers and that responsible gun ownership is a constitutional right.
    Advertise | AdChoices

"There is absolutely no reason for anyone to think it is inappropriate," he said.

James Kelley, chairman of the GOP's legislative district that includes the southern Tucson area, said he advised his colleagues not to raffle the gun. He acknowledged the party has held previous gun raffles without problems, "but post-Jan. 8, it's bad messaging, and it's insensitive."

"It doesn't mean the Republican Party doesn't have an incredible record of supporting the Second Amendment, but at this point it's ill-advised and I won't stand with them on this," Kelley added.

In Phoenix, House Minority Leader Chad Campbell said Thursday the Pima County GOP raffle plans are "unconscionable."

"Arizona is still healing from these wounds," the Democrat said. "If any good could have come out of this horrific event, it would be civility in our state or employing sensitivity when needed, not reopening the wounds or making light of them."

Jared Lee Loughner, 22, who has since been diagnosed with schizophrenia, is charged with shooting Giffords and 18 others with a Glock 19 handgun during a shopping center meet-and-greet January 8.

Six people died in the rampage before bystanders tackled Loughner, preventing him from reloading.

Giffords supports the constitutional right to keep and bear arms, said her spokesman Mark Kimble, though he could not confirm media reports that the congresswoman has owned a Glock handgun

Administrator
    I don't think its all that bad or even inappropriate, but maybe in a little poor taste given recent events. 1 in 125 isnt all that bad odds, where can I buy a ticket?
    Stubborn, oneshot and RMS like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't think its all that bad or even inappropriate, but maybe in a little poor taste given recent events. 1 in 125 isnt all that bad odds, where can I buy a ticket?
    I was thinking the same thing, Maybe I will buy 2 tickets lol
    oneshot likes this.

VIP Member
    Sounds good to me, why not raffle something that could have been used to stop a similar attack.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

think'n exactly the same thing

VIP Member
    I don't see anything wrong other than that it demonstrates some ineptitude from the local Republican leadership. 'Kind of like raffling off a pickup truck, if she had been run over by one.

If someone would have been CCing maybe the outcome would have been different

There was a CCer there, Joe Zamudio

http://www.americanhandgunner.com/th...amudios-story/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by afojc View Post
    If someone would have been CCing maybe the outcome would have been different
    If there wasn't somebody CCing, surely it would have been.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If there wasn't somebody CCing, surely it would have been.
    true

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I'm with the "in poor taste" crowd, but other than that...I see nothing wrong with it.

I am not trying to hijack this thread, nor start a flame war, but since the subject came up...
    I've got to say this though, yes, it was a terrible shame that she was shot, along with the others. but this lady was an idiot long before she was shot. Just because she was a victim does not automatically grant her "hero" status. Anyone who would ask a commanding General during wartime what our military is doing to lessen the "carbon footprint" during the war is an idiot, regardless of what happened to her before or after.
    When American soldiers are dying everyday, is NOT the time to be concerned about conserving energy, or to be worried about what the war is doing to the environment in Afghanistan.

Energy Security in Afghanistan - YouTube
    I think Forrest Gump said it best..."stupid is as stupid does".
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Very poor taste indeed. Are outta staters elligable for the drawing?

EdC
    Very poor taste. Should have selected a different brand, really. At least they're not raffling a Glock 19, with some 33 rd. magazines.

Hasn't Giffords been known to carry a G19 herself?

Giffords’s spokesman told a local newspaper in 2008 that Giffords owned a Glock handgun.
    A cursory search of google turned up that bit of info; this isn't something that is in particularly bad taste and it's something that may actually save somebody's life down the road. Not that the political spinsters would want the public to know that.

The CC'er wasn't there he was down the street, the incident was largely over by his arrival though his actions certainly help secure things; if an LEO is down the street it still takes response time. The additional LEO protection that could have been present was turned down. What this gun raffle does though is return the whole incident to being about the gun and not about a drug abusing psychotic man that acted alone; so yes I think that it should have been presented better or a less controversial item chosen; the item itself not being the issue but the nature of the situation creating complications making this about the item.

Glock Certified Armorer

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    I wonder what the proceeds from the raffle are going to be used for? How about donating half of the money for:
    - nra-sanctioned hand gun training
    - self defense/awareness training
    - take an ad out in the local rag to ACCURATELY/TRUTHFULLY summarize what and why it (attempted assination) happened
    - support for other victims
    - chemicals/medication used to fill the syringes for Loughner's execution

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links