Question for Ner Jersey members

This is a discussion on Question for Ner Jersey members within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just got back from a trip to New Jersey. Had been there 12 years ago. Pulled into a gas station and remembered, you don't pump ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HKinNY

Thread: Question for Ner Jersey members

Just got back from a trip to New Jersey. Had been there 12 years ago. Pulled into a gas station and remembered, you don't pump your own gas here. What is the reason behind this?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Pump jockey union???
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Liability.......................everything in NJ is lawyers, liability, negligence, gun laws and IMO, we have the Best Politicians and Judges that Money Can Buy.

Also, the best way to see NJ is from your rear view mirror while driving over the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

IIRC, Oregon has the same thing.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I imagine you left the guns at home while visiting? The only people allowed to have guns in NJ are cops and criminals

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I imagine you left the guns at home while visiting? The only people allowed to have guns in NJ are cops and criminals
    Yes, along with my pocket knife, pepper spray, and ASP.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

They are not smart enough to pump their own gas but love to fist pump in the air.
    Hopyard likes this.

Unions so I'm told. They insist that selfservice hurts the average working man.
    So the service station has to hire more people and gas costs more. Go figure.
    Flipped me out the first time I went to get gas there too. A guy comes out of the store
    yelling at me. I appologized and asked him to explain. That's the answer I received.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    Unions so I'm told. They insist that selfservice hurts the average working man.
    So the service station has to hire more people and gas costs more. Go figure.
    Flipped me out the first time I went to get gas there too. A guy comes out of the store
    yelling at me. I appologized and asked him to explain. That's the answer I received.
    the thing is that the gas in NJ does not cost more, NJ because of lower fuel taxes and proximity to large refineries has low gas prices.
    the pump jockeys are not unionized so that isn't it.
    the reasoning is that in NJ they feel that the sheeple are not able to safely pump their own fuel and having fuel pumpers does provide a lot of low wage jobs.
    I don't know why so many people like pumping their own fuel, on a cold winter night it is nice to just crack the window and say fill it up rather than having to get all smelly and cold from doing it yourself

I just hadn't seen a full service pump in 20 years. Yeah it'd be nice, but it's definatly something I'm not used to.
    gas may not cost more comaparatively, but if they pay someone to pump your gas, it's going to cost more than it would otherwise.

VIP Member
    My understanding, from relatives that live there, is the safety issue. The nanny state doesn't think the common man is capable of pumping his own gas. It takes a highly trained 16 year old to do it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links