Anyone else do geocaching?

This is a discussion on Anyone else do geocaching? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just started playing around with geocaching -- www.geocaching.com Its a "treasure hunt" of sorts -- involving use of a GPS and certain clues to locate ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else do geocaching?

Just started playing around with geocaching -- www.geocaching.com

Its a "treasure hunt" of sorts -- involving use of a GPS and certain clues to locate hidden "caches" all over the world. Not competitive -- just done for the pure fun/challenge of finding them.

Seems like something a lot of you would be interested in too -- an outdoor activity, involves some useful skills (orienteering, etc.), can require some stealth, and is part of a tight knit group of likeminded folks.

Anyone else involved in this?
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

Assistant Administrator
    Thought about it Duane - appeals to my ''adventure'' instinct but - as yet not. Just too many things always on the schedule!

Many years ago before that was even started - there was and still is I believe, a collection of ''post boxes'' on Dartmoor in Devon County UK - folks leave them hidden all over the place and they have to be found with clues - lot of fun. They are HARD to find.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    yep, been caching for about 2-3 years now. lots of fun, although some harder spots may be needed in my area. most folks want an easy walk to the cache and and back out.
    1 multi cach I have not done yet involves canoeing or kayaking down a local river. might be fun, as I kayak local rivers already.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    A girl I know does it and she loves it. She actually takes her AR when she heads up into the mountains for it. She says she ran into a javelina (like a big aggressive wild Boar) and was chased once. She tried to get me to go along but I'm not sure I have the time for it. It sounded like fun but I'm also training for Sherrifs Office Search n Rescue so I'm already busy a lot.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I know it was popular out in the desert when I was in Cali...I just never had the time. Some of these courses ran through several hundred miles in the desert, so you had better have the preparations ( lots of water, tools and parts to fix broken vehicles, etc.), more than an adequate 4x4, and company (theres safety in numbers).

I used to cache quite a bit when I lived in Dallas. Now, I have plenty of excuses to play outside, and after three moves, I haven't dug out my GPSs in quite a while. Not much call for them, since I grew up about three miles from where I'm sitting right now, and I doubt I could get lost within five miles of here if I tried.

Well, ok, with enough Guinness I can get lost in the living room, but that doesn't really count.

What I did when I was up there was to put all the caches within several miles into the GPS ahead of time, and print out the instructions for any that weren't purely straightforward. I kept the directions in a folder in the car, and whenever I found myself out and around with time to kill, I could look at the GPS to see if there was a cache nearby.

Lead Moderator
    I've been playing around at it for a couple months when I have time. Only have about 12, but I've only been out about 6 times.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Heard about it quite a bit cant say i have ever done it think there was a csi episode with it in it to

I figured I would find some cachers here... ;)

In my neck of the woods (which is not woods at all), most of the caches are "park and grabs" or short hikes on established nature trails. There are a few really cools spots that require a boat or kayak though. I like to kayak too, so I am going to set my sights on some of those soon.

I can see that geocaching in some parts of the country could be pretty challenging!

In urban areas, the challenge is more about the "stealth" than the hike. The idea is to get the cache, sign the log, and get it back without attracting undue attention to the cache from "geo muggles" who are likely to steal it or destroy it.

For those who haven't tried geocaching -- I suggest giving it a shot. There is no cost or expense involved other than needing a handheld GPS unit--which are down to about $99 now if you don't already own one.
    DDGator (Duane)

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DDGator
    In urban areas, the challenge is more about the "stealth" than the hike. The idea is to get the cache, sign the log, and get it back without attracting undue attention to the cache from "geo muggles" who are likely to steal it or destroy it.
    Now there is an understatement. I did one mini-cache down in Williamsburg, VA that was a real challenge since it was on a fence at the back of a tavern that was crowded all the time.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    I dont do it, but a couple of months ago, one was found hanging in a tree, it was inside a piece of PVC pipe, with caps on the end. The person who found it, thought it was a pipe bomb. Our local bomb squad blew it apart with their robot. Kind of exciting.
    Curry

That is pretty funny. The "rules" do caution against placement of caches anywhere near sensitive areas to avoid that type of confusion. That is why parks, woods, beaches and the like are good locations.

BCurry -- Did that event hit the newspapers?
    DDGator (Duane)

I work for a mapping company ... several of us here are trying to get the boss to sponsor a geocache to promote our retail store (we sell GPS units among other things).

One of the guys here caches with USGS topo maps, a compass and a protractor ... he's "old school" ... and he's faster and more accurate than most of the GPS geocachers.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DDGator
    BCurry -- Did that event hit the newspapers?
    I don't know, but I will try doing some searches to find out for ya.
    Curry

Zund -- I was just reading the "fine print" of the caching rules last night on the website, and there were some restrictions on using caches to promote commercial enterprises... It doesn't bother me--but just be careful how you might phrase that in submitting the cache.
    DDGator (Duane)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links