Stupid Human Tricks - At the Range Of Course

This is a discussion on Stupid Human Tricks - At the Range Of Course within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A fella had a fancy PPK at the range yesterday. He was teaching his grandson to shoot. Unfortunately, the gentleman did not understand the first ...

Thread: Stupid Human Tricks - At the Range Of Course

VIP Member

A fella had a fancy PPK at the range yesterday. He was teaching his grandson to shoot. Unfortunately, the gentleman did not understand the first thing about basic firearms safety. Numerous violations of the basic rules.

He was loading and locking on the back bench, then swinging the muzzle 180 degrees across every shooter's back down the firing line. He shot several times standing a couple of feet back from the firing line. He swept the muzzle parallel to the adjacent lanes several times when talking to his grandson. The muzzle made more than a couple of trips up to the ceiling. And the really brillant one? This guy turns 180 degrees from the firing line, loads a fresh magazine, releases the slide, then manually pulls it back to check the chamber. Can you guess where the muzzle was pointed? Right into the seating lounge.

I took off for the range master as fast as my feet could beat it. The range master came flying in at a run and dealt with the situation.

Stupid human ticks. Why can't these guys ever sweep themselves with the muzzle and thin out the gene pool a bit?

I have watched a guy crawl under the line bench to get 2 spent 9mm cases,while the line was hot.There have been other voilations almost everytime.
    The worst was the man twriling his pistol like the old cowboy movies.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    I have watched a guy crawl under the line bench to get 2 spent 9mm cases,while the line was hot.There have been other voilations almost everytime.
    I've seen both of those done too IronMike. At least the brass catcher was only endangering himself.

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Brass is expensive!!! LMAO...

Seriously, people are amazing.

I would say the folks you guys have seen on the range are probably retired goverment officials. They don't think until its too late.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Just glad that Im fourtunate to not have to deal with ignorant a--holes like that. Dont think I would not have the patience not to say something. Feel kinda bad for the Grandson as he will probably develope the same kind of carelessness.. Stupid is as stupid dose.
    And you cant fix stupid!!

We've got an outdoor public range where I live, with no Range Officer. A couple of days ago some guy with a pistol (sounded like a .45 ACP) decided that an empty 2 litre bottle at about 25 yards would be a good target. Problem was, he was in the far right lane and the bottle was about 6 lanes away to his left. A ricochet off a small rock or bit of trash could've easily nailed anyone on the line. Time for me to pack up and go.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    As a former range officer in the military I've seen some pretty stupid things. However, the dumbest thing' is when a fellow officer pulled and pointed his gun on another officer as a joke! It was during shift change in the rear parking lot of the police station. I was new to that particular agency and my knee-jerk reaction caused me to draw down on the moron until I realized his intentions.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I belong to a club with some of the nicist faciklities in the US,ORSA Home Page . Ranges are pretty much self policing. Also belong at an indoor range, rules are based upon skills, safety practices of shooters. I have been told I could shoot a full auto,(if only I had one). I can, however, shoot more than one round per second. Comes in handy for IDPA safety drills. Last time I went to a public range near here was SCARY. I had finished and had already packed up. Other shooters were retrieving/mounting targets(range called cold), and I saw a (expletive not allowed), pointing an AK 47 toward the people down range.

I have heard many horror stories from instructors of close calls during classes.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

I will admit I have had slip ups in safety. But nothing this extreme. Sound like that guy had zero idea. I am glad I catch myself if I start. Have been called out once, but given the circumstances blame others over myself.

Its important to learn from your mistakes, but it sound like some just keep rolling with them.

Sponsored Links