Irritation at the range today

This is a discussion on Irritation at the range today within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So today I took the XD45C and the Keltec out to one of the local ranges and just get some more rounds through both. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Irritation at the range today

So today I took the XD45C and the Keltec out to one of the local ranges and just get some more rounds through both. I shoot them both very well and have had no issues with the XD allthough it locked back mid magazine on me today once. I think I must have bumped the slide release other wise no other issues with it. I had one fte through the Keltec but that's the first that gun has ever malfunctioned. I chalk that one up to fluke/ cheap dirty ammo fouled the extractor. When I cleaned it I noticed nothing wierd about the extractor. As it didn't happen again I'm not too worried.

The irritation came from someone else at the range in the stall immeadiatly to my right. These 2 guys come in as I am coming in and set up. Looked like one was shooting a Sig P229 and it made little holes so I'm guessing 9mm. The other guy was not shooting but seemed to be providing some manner of instruction/coaching. I notice he's not wearing the range collared shirt or T-shirt and I've not seen him before. Now this guy has one of those tactical joe kinda voices/attitudes. The type that tells you exactly wich gun in the store is best for defense in a deep authoritative tone. Ok so anyways the guy doing the shooting is named Tony, I know this because from that stall I would hear bang...nice job Tonnnny, 5 second pause, bang, nice job Tonnnny, 5 second pause, awwww what was that Tonnnny yer jerkin the trigger, etc, etc. Repeatedly while I'm shooting. Now this alone only provided slight irritation as some people have a mild case of obnoxious, it doesn't make them bad people.

What got me was while I was in the middle of shooting a string through the XD I feel a presence behind me and a hand in the middle of my back...grrrrr. I stop shooting keep muzzle downrange and this guy says "The range guys will be out here in a minute, they don't allow rapid fire here. Double taps are fine but they don't like rapid fire." I gave a slight nod and he went back to the other guy. I was not aware I was shooting in a rapid fire manner, I was shooting quickly pushing the split time limit to maintain accuracy with the XD...whatever.

So, I'm stewing a little. I finish up a little faster than I would've leave the range area and pay out. AS I'm doing this I ask the girl who is taking my credit card weather this guy is an employee or not. She tells me no he's a third party "instructor" that people sometimes hire and asks if I would like his card. My response was maybe slightly too irrtitable "no, I would like him to stay in his lane."

Maybe I am being a little harsh but listening to this guy, he seemed like a bit too much of a yahoo who wasn't quite qualified to wear the title "instructor." I am also a little irritated at the sort that are willing to interupt my concentration while shooting to correct me or give me unsolicited advice. I think it was his rediculous tone more than anything. Am I being too harsh?

Oh one last thing...I shot a magazine of Win. PDX1 230 gr bonded before I switched over to cheap FMJ 230's when I got home I looked at the PDX1 box and it does not say +P, but wow what a recoil difference. With the FMJ's my XD is a pussycat, with the PDX1 recoil was managable but noticably stiffer and way more muzzle rise. Any thoughts on that?

Interesting situation.
    What is the range policy on rapid fire and how fast was your firing, rds/sec?
    I'll comment later.

ETA: Do you frequent that range often?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I'm not aware of a policy concerning rapid fire, I'll follow up on that one. Don't know how to to quantify rate of fire, I was practicng shooting quickly while keeping within down 0 area 100%, so not uncontrollably fast, but quick. Probably 2 rds per second or so, with 1 second pauses every 2 to 4.

I've been 3 or 4 times now, not enough to call often.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    My reaction would have been to lay down my weapon, turn to him and ask him what the heck he was doing. I would explain that coming up behind me and placing his hands on me while I'm practicing defensive shooting, could trigger an umpleasant response!!! Please mind your own business!
    357and40 likes this.
    Proud NRA member

Did he touch you WHILE shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by GvdM View Post
    Did he touch you WHILE shooting?
    yep

Administrator
    I wouldn't worry to much about the actual touching part, that is a common and excepted way of letting the shooter know you are there behind him. But, he shouldn't have been there in the first place. Senses are a little off with muffs and in the shooting booth. But I would be annoyed at the rest of the situation. Yes, he should have minded his own business. I guess he couldn't really help his voice and mannerism. It does sound as if he went and took the weekend course and now he is an "instructor".
    Doodle, BigJon10125 and 357and40 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I wouldn't worry to much about the actual touching part, that is a common and excepted way of letting the shooter know you are there behind him. But, he shouldn't have been there in the first place. Sense are a little off with muffs and in the shooting booth. But I would be annoyed at the rest of the situation. Yes, he should have minded his own business. I guess he couldn't really help his voice and mannerism. It does sound as if he went and took the weekend course and now he is an "instructor".
    Yes exactly...it took a bit of self control when corrected by this guy.

While he wasn't an employee, it sounds like he may be their go to instructor since they were hawking his card to you. Don't sweat it too much, sounds like maybe he was just trying to keep you from getting on the wrong side of the range workers. I won't comment on his teaching methods since I've had students that seem to need feedback after every shot or they get worried.

As to the difference between the FMJ target loads and the PDX rounds, yes, there will be a noticeable difference since target rounds usually have the minimum charge of a cheap powder and the self defense rounds are loaded hotter (even the non +P rounds) with a better grade of, and usually faster burning powder.

I shoot pretty exclusively at an outdoor range with different conditions and protocols.

In the situation outlined, I would probably have just said Thank You and left, especially if I had intent to use that range again. It is hard to know how much pull he has with the range administration. I would determine any range restrictions so that if confronted again by this individual I would be on more solid ground.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    While he wasn't an employee, it sounds like he may be their go to instructor since they were hawking his card to you. Don't sweat it too much, sounds like maybe he was just trying to keep you from getting on the wrong side of the range workers. I won't comment on his teaching methods since I've had students that seem to need feedback after every shot or they get worried.

As to the difference between the FMJ target loads and the PDX rounds, yes, there will be a noticeable difference since target rounds usually have the minimum charge of a cheap powder and the self defense rounds are loaded hotter (even the non +P rounds) with a better grade of, and usually faster burning powder.
    I see what your saying, but DON'T interupt someones string just to tell them they're wrong. This wasn't safety related, I was shooting controllably actually had a nice 5 inch group working center mass before being interupted. No-one likes Joe Cool Know-it-all at the pistol range.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I shoot pretty exclusively at an outdoor range with different conditions and protocols.

In the situation outlined, I would probably have just said Thank You and left, especially if I had intent to use that range again. It is hard to know how much pull he has with the range administration. I would determine any range restrictions so that if confronted again by this individual I would be on more solid ground.
    I was smart enough not to be anything but civil, I don't trust people enough to get into a I'm a bigger fish than you scenereo with loaded guns around. As for your advice I intend to do exaclty that.

I had an experience with a supposed "instructor" ...... who was at a range to help some other people. He was an idiot, and had the mentality he was the "know all about everything" . He came up from behind me and actually took my gun , lying there 'unloaded' as I was loading up a magazine.... and tells me " let me show you something".
    I took ahold of the gun, and he would not let go of it, instead says, "wait a second, I want to show you something".

My next comment ... was "Let go of the friggin gun (not that nice) or we're going to have some really serious issues" .

He seemed to not understand why I was ticked, nor why I didn't want his "wonderful advice". I told him he was a nitwit (well, much stronger than that ) and to NEVER come up and touch one of my guns again.

The owner stepped in about that time, and explained.... "oh, this is xxxxxx and he's an instructor that comes here" . I told the owner, well..... unless I ask for his advice, "the next time he reaches for one of my guns he's going to find himself waking up and on the floor". At that the 'instructor' tensed up and we had an eye to eye, which I think let him know I meant exactly what I said. He raised his arms and slowly moved back.

The old saying is , "being smart is thinking you know all of the answers, wisdom is knowing what the questions were".
    Doodle likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    This guy wasn't an employee, so whether he was just doing you a favor or not is irrelevant. I would've talked to management about his unrequested 'assistance' & whether they allow such intervention by non-employees.

Maybe it's just my general peevishness towards strangers touching me, but I would've made clear that his approach, not to mention his intervention, was not appreciated. If a range employee has something to say to me, I'll recognize their authority & will happily give them their due.

As to the difference you noticed in your ammo, I can't say that I have any experience with that situation.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links