Is it worth discussing grammar? - Page 2

Is it worth discussing grammar?

This is a discussion on Is it worth discussing grammar? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Spell check this... Four a car to be on sail, it wood half to be a grate price....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Is it worth discussing grammar?

Spell check this...

Four a car to be on sail, it wood half to be a grate price.
    OD*, dcselby1 and thephanatik like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    A new young monk arrives at the monastery. He’s assigned to help the other monks in copying the old canons and laws of the church by hand.

He notices, however, that all of the monks are copying from copies, not from the original manuscript.

So, the new monk goes to the head abbot to question this; pointing out that if someone made even a small error in the first copy, it would never be picked up.

In fact, that error would be continued in all of the subsequent copies.

The head monk, says, “We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but you make a good point, my son.”

So, he goes down into the dark caves underneath the monastery where the original manuscript is held as archives in a locked vault that hasn’t been opened for hundreds of years.

Hours go by and nobody sees the old abbot.

So, the young monk gets worried and goes downstairs to look for him.

He sees him banging his head against the wall, and wailing “We forgot the R. We forgot the R.“

His forehead is all bloodied and bruised and he’s crying uncontrollably.

The young monk asks the old abbot, “What’s wrong, father?”

With a choking voice, the old abbot replies, “The word should be celebRate!”

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Leaving punctuation aside, English grammar can be very frustrating but, there are some very basic issues that are, I suppose, my pet peeves for instance:

So anyone else share these peeves or others?
    Sure: usage, as well as grammar. Example: it's a muzzle brake, not break. But it's a thumb break on a holster, not a thumb brake. Give me a break, huh? Incorrect use of apostrophes bothers me, the most egregious in my view being the use of apostrophes for pluralization, second worse being "it's" instead of "its" for the possessive use. It's enough to drive me batty.

Lastly, the use of "textspeak" (e.g., "ur" for your) should incur the same level of infractions as the use of cuss words, as both are an indication of mental laziness.

However... my role as grammar & spelling Nazi is only part time and I don't take myself too seriously. I tend to regard sloppy spelling, punctuation, grammar and usage with as much disdain as I regard sloppy gun handling skills. But, it's not life-threatening. Just like our shooting skills aren't all alike (and for varying reasons), we don't all hit the bullseye with our spelling and grammar, either.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Administrator
    Can you read the following?

Yy u r yy u b I c u r yy 4 me.

Too wise you are, too wise you be, I see you are too wise for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OK Last One.

With the huge number of visitors we have; and, given that some of the visitors are likely our mutual detractors why do we give them one more issue to condemn us, our point of view or, our intellect?
    When you have all of the illegal aliens speaking English, let me know will ya.

In the meantime, I wouldn't complain. If the message is understood, it's understood. This is not a forum for English teachers and nit-picking what may be often quick typing and typo's.
    dcselby1 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Last edited by RETSUPT99; September 5th, 2011 at 08:23 PM.
    dcselby1 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

LMAO...I hear u BBQ...and I promise to do better with our language... SO can I get hurt using the spell checker hosted on the site ?? required a download, which stopped me...

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Follow up:

1. I intentionally did not, nor did I intend to, target anyone with the original post; I appologize to anyone who took my comments personally.
    2. My intention was to address or question the issue of perception of our intelligence/education by our detractors who surely read this site.
    3. Yes, we can read through those errors and understand the message, that is not my point.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Spell check? Yeah, right!

I halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plane lee marques four my revue
    Miss steaks aye ken knot sea

Eye ran this poem threw it
    Your sure reel glad two no
    It's vary polished in it's weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew

A chequer is a bless sing
    It freeze yew lodes of thyme
    It helps me awl stiles two reed
    And aides mi when aye rime
    The rest is here:
    Owed to a Spell Chequer

It often grates on my nerves when reading a posting that shows the writer just doesn't give a hoot. Certainly, we all make a typo or grammar flub now and then, but some people just seem to have a consistent lack of knowledge or caring in correct writing.

From the old Air Force "Tongue and Quill", "Write like you speak. Assuming, of course, that you speak well."
    (Hmmm, should that first comma have been inside the quotes?)
    OD* and dcselby1 like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Follow up:

1. I intentionally did not, nor did I intend to, target anyone with the original post; I appologize to anyone who took my comments personally.
    2. My intention was to address or question the issue of perception of our intelligence/education by our detractors who surely read this site.
    3. Yes, we can read through those errors and understand the message, that is not my point.
    Have you read some of the more liberal newspapers, and some things like the NY Times, etc. ? Talk about grammar and horrendous editing, they would have to move the bar up to get to where we are in this forum. Just saying, I' ve seen sentences that didn't even make sense in their news articles.
    dcselby1 and Hoganbeg like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Snip:
    If you wish to really check your work, read the line backwards...mistakes jump out.

:Snip
    You can catch more than just spelling errors doing that.
    Thats how they found them satanic messages hidden in them old rock and roll albums back in the day.

Michael

Sometimes my iPhone chooses the wrong word for me. Other times, I may make a mistake.

But my pet peeve on this type of forum is ballistic ignorance, but book smart. People come here to learn a certain thing, it's not a forum for promoting the well rounded individual.

I have no love for a spelling Nazis .
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Never end a sentence with a preposition
    A close friend prepositioned a lady cop one night.

Michael
    dcselby1 likes this.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Have you read some of the more liberal newspapers, and some things like the NY Times, etc. ? Talk about grammar and horrendous editing, they would have to move the bar up to get to where we are in this forum. Just saying, I' ve seen sentences that didn't even make sense in their news articles.
    Yes, exactly, if you notice their errors we have to extrapolate and assume "they" notice and catagorize us by our collective errors.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

JD
    Administrator
    I can shrug of some of the grammar stuff, punctuation, even spelling when the errors are sparse, but what I hate is the "text" speak that some use on the forum. You're not sending texts to your "BFFs", you're trying to communicate via the written word to a group of individuals and we shouldn't have to translate your posts into English to try and figure out what the heck you're trying to say.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links