Is it worth discussing grammar?

This is a discussion on Is it worth discussing grammar? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For me, the spelling has never been a telling index of gauging a persons intelect. Rather, the ability to compose and articulate onces ideas in ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Is it worth discussing grammar?

For me, the spelling has never been a telling index of gauging a persons intelect. Rather, the ability to compose and articulate onces ideas in written format, to degree that the idea or expression is clear and understood, regardless of error.

I shudder to think of the spelling errors I make in a day of posting or writing. Many times I get frustrated at not being able to spell even the simplest of words that were not even an issue years ago.
    I graduated with an honest 3.67 GPA, yet have trouble with small words.

Of course I cannot even work out a qudratic equation now.

Funny thing is I can still cite the Gettysburg address I memorized in the 7th grade and a long poem from 1st grade.

Funny how the mind works.
    MikeNice and dcselby1 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    So the Law School Dean was taking a friend out to play tennis on campus. They approached the court and his friend saw the sign: "FACULTY ONLY NO GUESTS ALLOWED"

The friend felt uncomfortable and asked The Dean if he was really sure it would be OK for them to play.

"Of course it is," said The Dean. That sign clearly means, "Faculty Only? NO! Guests Allowed."
    thephanatik and wmhawth like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I thought I was wrong once, but I was miss taken! There, now I feel better!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    You're post is noted. In fact your even right about some of the issues that plague our little community. Were trying to fix this and work on ourselves for the good of all. I am sure their is a good explanation for all of this tom foolery. In fact I am sure that our wonderful moderators are already working on a solution to this problem, not that there not busy working on other things mind you, its just that it may take some time for us all to get adjusted to the new issues being addressed. It aint like we all do it on purpose. I'm not sure were the problem here its just all of us together don't always worry about are typing skills until it is to late. Too move on two the next point of mine, I think it is entirely odd that are site does not have a spell and grammer checker. In case we wanna double check them posts of ours. Well, its been fun, bbl.

TTYL,

Inccwchris
    dcselby1 likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Inccwchris, that is a good laugh. You reminded me of another one that bugs me. The use of "are" and "our"; a high level manager in one division of the company I work for uses "are" in place of "our" in professional writing.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Here are a couple of my pet (grammatical) peeves. But before I list mine, I'll be the first to admit to making errors in my (previous) posts.

1. The use of "that" instead of "who" when referring to a person/people. "Anyone who thinks this is just wrong, please raise your hand."

2. The incorrect or interchangeable use of "insure", "ensure" and "assure". "I can assure you that he will ensure that the driver will be insured."
    boricua likes this.

Stick "em" up when you really mean stick "them" up. If you want my money do it right!
    I also hate it when I'm robbed in a language other than English. If you want to commit crimes in my country learn the damn language. That goes for Ghetto talk to. I hate having to ask muggers to repeat themselves because they cannot speak proper English. I try to be helpful but my patience only goes so far.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Stick "em" up when you really mean stick "them" up. If you want my money do it right!
    I also hate it when I'm robbed in a language other than English. If you want to commit crimes in my country learn the damn language. That goes for Ghetto talk to. I hate having to ask muggers to repeat themselves because they cannot speak proper English. I try to be helpful but my patience only goes so far.

Michael
    Me too and for God's sake don't say give me ur money. It's give me your money.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Me too and for God's sake don't say give me ur money. It's give me your money.
    If they say "Give me your money" thats OK, they will not get any, Its all her money.

And if I were a robber, I'd tell people to give me my money. After all, it is my money if I've stole it fair and square.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Hucked on fonix werks 4 me.

Truthfully my spelling is so bad I sometimes confuse the spell checker in Word. I usually type up my posts in Word and use the grammar and spell checker to correct any misspelled words then proofread them before posting.

The best spelling error I have ever seen was in the base bulletin at my last base before retiring. It read, “All pubic appearances must be coordinated with the base Public Affairs Office”. Needless to say the omission of one L caused the Public Affairs office quite some embarrassment.
    dcselby1 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My grammar has always been pretty horrible. My teachers tried their best over the years. Most of it just never took root. However, with the help of a proof reader I wrote two college papers that are now used to teach on-line classes.

I know it is hard, but don't discredit the intelligence of a person because their grammar is a little off. It may have been a mistake. Then again it could just be they have trouble in that particular area and excel in many others.
    Remember the teacher telling you to “Bring enough for everybody”? That applies to gunfights, too. ~ Sarge @ Sarge's Roll Call

This is the very kind of thing, up with which I will not put!

While we're discussing grammar
    One that never bugged me until a friend began saying it all the time
    "I seen"

"I have seen"
    INccwchris likes this.
    -Jim

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Or, "I saw".

Yall are rough on a fella!
    dcselby1 likes this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links