Is it worth discussing grammar? - Page 5

Is it worth discussing grammar?

This is a discussion on Is it worth discussing grammar? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had a good education when I was younger but when you get to my age, 71, you don't take things as seriously as some ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Is it worth discussing grammar?

I had a good education when I was younger but when you get to my age, 71, you don't take things as seriously as some people do. I don't have time to sweat the small stuff as I am having fun doing what I want to do and not worrying about being correct all the time.
    OD* and swiftyjuan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    So the Law School Dean was taking a friend out to play tennis on campus. They approached the court and his friend saw the sign: "FACULTY ONLY NO GUESTS ALLOWED"

The friend felt uncomfortable and asked The Dean if he was really sure it would be OK for them to play.

"Of course it is," said The Dean. That sign clearly means, "Faculty Only? NO! Guests Allowed."
    Good example of why punctuation matters.

In my professional life, it's definitely a pet peeve of mine. On a public forum, I don't have an issue with it. It just provides me with a general overview of where our nation is placed regarding how our public schools are covering the basics.
    dcselby1 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I used to spell fairly well and be able to use grammar and punctuation decently.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    In my professional life, it's definitely a pet peeve of mine. On a public forum, I don't have an issue with it. It just provides me with a general overview of where our nation is placed regarding how our public schools are covering the basics.
    I'm not really a spelling and grammar Nazi but I was raised and educated by spelling and grammar Nazis. If any of them happen to be looking down from their perches above on some of what exists as written communication now they must be seething.
    dcselby1 likes this.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Really I only consider it a problem if someone has no sense of how to make a sentence or paragraph readable. When you have a massive wall of text that's not divided by subject and has no coherent train of thought, or that lacks enough correct spelling and grammar to easily figure out the meaning, I skip the post.
    MotorCityGun and Bark'n like this.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Leaving punctuation aside, English grammar can be very frustrating but, there are some very basic issues that are, I suppose, my pet peeves for instance:

There, their and they're
    There, placement or location: put it over there, there is a place for everything.
    Their, shows possession: their laws are very restrictive, I like their new truck.
    They're, contraction: they are

Is it legal for them to go in there if they're carrying their handguns?

Similarly your and you're
    Your, possession: is this your pistol, your dog is well trained
    You're, contraction: you are

If you're carrying your firearm then make sure it is properly holstered.

So anyone else share these peeves or others? Oh, by the way, I learned this in our public school system so don't take this as high and mighty over schooled nit-picking. Nor, do I claim to be a world class proof reader or master of English writing. Also, I see these same errors in professional correspondence where the misuse of words frustrates me more than in this forum.

With the huge number of visitors we have; and, given that some of the visitors are likely our mutual detractors why do we give them one more issue to condemn us, our point of view or, our intellect?
    AMEN! Along with here and hear. Here is a place, where I am right now. Hear, is what you do with your ears.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Moderator
    The only thing I get kind of annoyed with is text message speech (when you have a full keyboard) and incoherent posts (up to and including not even a period or capital letter at the start of a new sentence to where you have to guess where old thoughts end and the new begin).

I also get really annoyed with rambling walls of text with no paragraph breaks. If it's too bad I'll actually edit a post and put breaks into it just so I can read it.

That being said, I'm no English prof and I make plenty of mistakes. Just about the time I started getting on someone's back for this or that someone else will go behind me and highlight all of the places where I have made grammatical errors.

I do try my best, however, and find it incredibly lazy when someone can't even put a . at the end of a sentence, capitalize a proper noun or the first letter of a sentence, hit the "enter" button to start a new paragraph or spell out "you" (vs "u"). Those seem to be minimal steps anyone can take without having to borrow a grammar book from the library.

Administrator
    I'm afraid to post anything in this thread.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm afraid to post anything in this thread.
    Sixto, I know you are joking, you write very well. Though, it is kinda funny that I am the only person who has been called out for an error.
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    That goes for Ghetto talk to. I hate having to ask muggers to repeat themselves because they cannot speak proper English.
    Ebonics is recognized as a local dialect here in Motown and is not corrected by teachers. In fact, these (union) teachers are some of the worst offenders of bastardizing the English language. And when teachers can't/won't speak properly and will not correct improper use of the language due to political correctness or ignorance, it is futile and hopeless to expect the students (i.e. future muggers) to do so.
    wmhawth and msgt/ret like this.

I am going to chime in here. There are those of us how have difficulties with writing, whether it be a learning disability or a brain injury. When we write anything it usually takes a lot of time and energy to even to attempt to post. Yes there are time that the way it turns out may not be correct but at least we try.

Some people have a way with words, some people not have way!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

Funny thing is I can still cite the Gettysburg address I memorized in the 7th grade and a long poem from 1st grade.

Funny how the mind works.
    That IS funny. When I was in the first grade, I had to memorize and recite "The Night Before Christmas" before the entire school. I was petrified, but did it and I STILL remember it almost 60 years later!

When I was working, one of my security officers turned in an incident report. it was typewritten (computer) single-spaced, about 8 1/2" X 11". There were TWO periods and I think one of them was an error! Too many grammatical and spelling errors to mention.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links