Is it worth discussing grammar?

This is a discussion on Is it worth discussing grammar? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I, for one, KNOW that the OP absolutely meant no disrespect when he posted and I think most people understood that. I think that he ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Is it worth discussing grammar?

Must Be An Interesting Thread!

I, for one, KNOW that the OP absolutely meant no disrespect when he posted and I think most people understood that. I think that he just wanted to stimulate a spirited conversation and that he did! While a few people may have felt some people are picking on others they certainly should not feel that way! There have to be a couple of thousand posts on this site that I've read and I could understand EVERY ONE OF THEM, which is the purpose of communicating, is it not?

Anyway, I personally think that this is a fascinating thread. I think others must feel the same way, too, because were were 74 replies to the OP when I opened it today.

2. Remove Ads

Writing skills do matter.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Heck yeah, it matters! To properly convey an idea or communicate a feeling, some semblance of decorum is necessary. Even the smallest attempt will help.

I just love reading & re-reading something, only to realize that I really don't care about the subject or the intent. Who wants to read that much?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I live in South Texas,the newspapers down here butcher the English language so bad it's appalling,half the time I swear to god they try to translate how they would say it in spanish into english.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I love reading and writing, and while obviously not perfect all the time, I hate seeing the younger generation depend on spell-checkers and using 'text language.'

Columbus (OH) newspaper Dispatch announced that the city was going to stop teaching cursive writing in the classroom.

Our local paper once had the headline: "Woman abused by boyfriend, girl in stitches". This ISN"T a funny topic, but if you're an 'old-timer' or understand the double-meaning, I felt the headline was in poor taste even though the original writer didn't intend any humor.

Don't you love my scattered thoughts?
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links