Is it worth discussing grammar?

This is a discussion on Is it worth discussing grammar? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Leaving punctuation aside, English grammar can be very frustrating but, there are some very basic issues that are, I suppose, my pet peeves for instance: ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Is it worth discussing grammar?

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Leaving punctuation aside, English grammar can be very frustrating but, there are some very basic issues that are, I suppose, my pet peeves for instance:

There, their and they're
    There, placement or location: put it over there, there is a place for everything.
    Their, shows possession: their laws are very restrictive, I like their new truck.
    They're, contraction: they are

Is it legal for them to go in there if they're carrying their handguns?

Similarly your and you're
    Your, possession: is this your pistol, your dog is well trained
    You're, contraction: you are

If you're carrying your firearm then make sure it is properly holstered.

So anyone else share these peeves or others? Oh, by the way, I learned this in our public school system so don't take this as high and mighty over schooled nit-picking. Nor, do I claim to be a world class proof reader or master of English writing. Also, I see these same errors in professional correspondence where the misuse of words frustrates me more than in this forum.

With the huge number of visitors we have; and, given that some of the visitors are likely our mutual detractors why do we give them one more issue to condemn us, our point of view or, our intellect?
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I agree I was looking for a dictionary last night and couldn't find one. It looks like you'll have to continue talking about me for a few more days.
    dcselby1 likes this.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

I do believe that how we express ourselves reflects on our group, and it is nice to reiterate that occasionally. By the way,correspondence has 2 "r"s. ( I am a pain in the tush proofreader).
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    I do believe that how we express ourselves reflects on our group, and it is nice to reinterate that occasionally. By the way,correspondence has 2 "r"s. ( I am a pain in the tush proofreader).
    Yikes I'll fix that, thanks.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    To me, spelling and grammar are a paramount issue that reflects on how the person was educated. But truly, it is a losing battle. Either you know how to do it or you don't. Pointing it out to someone is useless, because unless they take the time and effort to educate themselves, you might as well talk to the hand. It is an education issue that goes back to grade school.

I once got in to an online p*ssing contest with someone over grammar. Now that I think about it, I wonder what ever happened to him.
    Bark'n and Rock and Glock like this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Senior Moderator
    Piss poor grammar and spelling are indicative of the state of society.From what I've been reading on various forums in the last few years, I'd say that we (we as a nation) are hosed and there is no coming back.Too many people seem to be proud that they excel in ignorance. On second thought, it's probably the only thing that they are excellent in.
    Chevy-SS, Hoganbeg, JD and 6 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm kinda pessimistic and agree with Hotguns post........
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I've got a peeve.

Many people use apostrophe 's' for plural, rather than possessive nouns.
    dcselby1 and surefire7 like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Never end a sentence with a preposition..."in"...

Space after periods...

This is going to be an exciting thread...

On the lighter side, we ALL make errors at times, and I have noticed obvious errors when it was too (to two) late to fix...

There was a fellow from the Northeast who corrected some of my errors...after it was too late for me to fix. He corrected me for the errors...that's O.K.
    I then started correcting each and every post he made for a while...he finally admitted that we ALL make silly errors from time to time.

If you wish to really check your work, read the line backwards...mistakes jump out.

Yes, I've seen some pretty silly spelling and improper grammar, but I'm looking for the message, not really worried about doing the grammar and spell check.OMOYMV
    dcselby1 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So anyone else share these peeves or others?
    Yes. You're not alone. One of my pet peeves is "loose" used for "lose" and vice versa. It should work this way: "You may lose your gun if your holster is loose". What really sets my teeth on edge is something posted with no punctuation of any kind anywhere. Of further aggravation is a post that resembles something a teenage girl sent in a text message. "ill c u later cuz i gotta go now bye".
    Vtxdpm and babyhulk like this.

VIP Member
    Nothing is more evident of the decline of Western Civilization than the coupling of the imperative and subjunctive moods.

VIP Member
    Most of the regular participants here seem to know how to write, and often quite well. I suspect the bulk of the errors just happen from typing quickly and not proof reading. I know I often fail to place the "r" at the end of "your." Heck, I'll blame my keyboard.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Administrator
    I would much rather no what our members have on there minds and have them share they're thoughts rather than have them filling intimidated into not posting do two pour speling or grammer.

^^^^^^^^^^
    Clever, and I agree...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Most of the errors would be removed by using the 'spell checker' button. Then only the grammar nazis would be crawling up our backsides.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links