Anyone ever have gun-related dreams?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever have gun-related dreams? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; About once per month I will usually have some kind of dream that involves a gun. It is almost always the same story, BG is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Anyone ever have gun-related dreams?

About once per month I will usually have some kind of dream that involves a gun. It is almost always the same story, BG is going to attack me. I pull the gun, aim, and pull the trigger. Nothing happens. Sometimes I can run and take cover in another place for a moment and check my magizine. Full of rounds, of course. Re-chamber a new round, try to fire again. Nothing! Eventually as I'm about to die, I wake up.

Other times, I have dreams where the gun will actually fire. But the bullet must just disappear in mid air because it never hits anything. I mean, anything at all, not the bad guy, not the wall behind him, etc. It just vanishes.

But last night I had a different dream. 2 guys invaded my home and I pulled my Glock 19. Low and behold, it fired and I struck the bad guys. But for some reason, the bullets had no velocity to them. They just bounced off and landed on the ground like they were airsoft rounds or something. After I emptied my magazine, I ran to the other room and opened the gun safe. I was in quite a panic that I wouldn't get it open before they came in there after me, but they weren't in much of a hurry I guess. I got my little .380 out and shot one of the bad guys in the head and this time, probably for the first time ever in any sort of dream, it worked. It actually killed the guy. But then when i went to the second guy, I realized my magazine was empty and the only round I had was just the one in the chamber that I just shot the first guy with. So I pulled out a box of ammo and started loading up the magazine while I guess the BG just stood there and waited for me. I was getting ready to shoot some more, but then I woke up.

What the heck is wrong with me? Does anyone else have dreams like this?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Perhaps you're not convinced that firearms are the answer to your problems.

...that'll be $125 please.

ASSA9 likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

yep just had one a few days ago. I dream that my brother bought me a new handgun.

Senior Moderator
    Oh goodness, I've had TONS of gun-related dreams.

The only time my bullets didn't work however was when I was shooting a zombie but that's understandable.

Believe it or not I have far more knife-related dreams.

i've had the same exact type of dreams... BG, either no bang or bang and no effect.. WEIRD!!!!

maybe Freud has an answer for this...
    Diddle likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I think it happens to all of us. I used to have the same (type) of dream growing up. Bully comes over and starts a fight and I hit and punch but I have no power and I can't hurt him. Those dreams ended after I got to highschool and found out that If I hit someone as hard as I can they don't get back up. I have the same dream with guns it's always either a missfire or the rounds just have no affect. I really hope that I never have to use a gun to defend mine or my family's life, but I am confident that real life and dreams have nothing to do with eachother.
    Diddle likes this.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Anytime I have ever used a gun in a dream it has never worked as it's supposed to.
    The one that comes to mind was years ago, I had a shotgun and it was shooting flaming balls like a roman candle.
    Wierd...glad I'm not the only one.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Only dreams I've had about guns is it's Christmas and I open up the boxes and there they are, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, etc., etc., etc.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I never have, but my wife just had her first gun dream last week. She defended the family while I stood idly by watching. Maybe she subconciously thinks I'm insufficient, but I prefer to think that she's ready and willing to play an active roll in defending our fam. She's also pregnant, so I think this is a result of those "vulnerability dreams" that pregnant women have, though when she blows away all the bad guys in her dream that doesn't seem very "vulnerable" to me.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

VIP Member
    Nope, not here. I guess I'm not really into them as I thought.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

ITW
    Nope, never experienced that.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    But for some reason, the bullets had no velocity to them. They just bounced off and landed on the ground
    I have had this exact dream. And if they were to be totally honest, others have too. I have no idea what the meaning of it is. Men tend to not discuss such matters but I have some friends that are what I call men's men who discuss matters such as this in order to better themselves and better understand one another. THis, for me, has been a reoccuring thing and from what I can tell, it is not set off by any particular scenario or pre-hipnotic suggestion. As for Post-hypnotic suggestion, I have not a clue. At this point, I am asleep.

All I know is that I would rather be honest and discuss such matters than hide them.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Believe it or not I have far more knife-related dreams.
    That is interesting! As far back as I can remember, and that is long time, I have never had a knife related dream yet they, like firearms, are all over this house.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    If I can remember Psych 101 correctly, dreams like these or of parachutes not opening and other things like that, actually have nothing to do with the things in the dream not working. It usually indicates a feeling of a lack of control in some aspect of the dreamers life.

I am not a doctor or shrink, so take that last bit as you will.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I've had many knife and gun related dreams. Most of them dirrected by John Woo.

One theme that used to be frequent was not being able to find the right ammo for the gun I pick
    up and scrambling through the pile of 7.62, .45 38 super etc. when I need .308 or 12 ga or what have you.

Another one is post appocaliptic where I dig up a gun that I stashed years before and find its all rusted and unuseable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links