Plumbing

This is a discussion on Plumbing within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by RevolvingMag Good Luck, don't do anything that will cost you more money in the end. And, remember, it's never as difficult as ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Plumbing

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Good Luck, don't do anything that will cost you more money in the end. And, remember, it's never as difficult as you think it will be.
    You've obviously never watched me attempt to plumb anything!!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    @ Hoppy: One of my problems is that there is no cut off valves for my shower and no access to put them in.

As to the problem: My shower is leaking and I don't know where. I suspect it's the cartridge and went in and replaced that yesterday. Like Sixto I find plumbing to be pretty easy but who ever plumbed my shower made it very hard to work on. They installed everything from the back and then the back was dry-walled in. It is making for a slow cumbersome project that just keeps getting bigger and bigger. GRRRRR!
    Yes, this is exactly what the idiot that built my house did---- after I specifically told him that he had to put cut-offs for the shower somewhere accessible. The plumber did what he wanted to, and 20 years later when I needed a new pan and shower I had to have a plumber come and put caps on the pipes. Then I needed to get him back to install the faucet before the tile guy closed everything up again.

Honestly, there aught to be a law!!!!!!

Given the risk of your ending up with the water turned off to your whole house for some prolonged period of time, I think you need to hire a plumber. Maybe have him cut the dry wall on the other side and install a couple of cut offs and then find a decorative way to cover the hole. In my case, I could have done either that or just put a dry wall patch in, but the dang wall had wall paper on it that Mrs H didn't want touched. So I am now back to square one without individual cut offs to the shower.

My sympathies.
    I do offer this thought, sometimes these leaks are really deceiving. IF you still see water on the floor after fixing the faucet (you put a new cartridge in) you should check the pan before your do anything else. Plug up the drain and fill the pan with water. Sit back and wait. If the pan is leaking you'll see it soon enough.

Good luck.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Never heard of Sharkbite, but PEX is standard procedure around here.

Is your shower leaking, or just malfunctioning?
    Sharkbite and Gatorbite or similar are couplings which allow you to easily connect copper, CPVC, or PEX. They have gained acceptance in recent years as substitutes for sweated joints. Some folks swear by them, others don't.
    I think CA and Vermont forbid their use. They are fine in an accessible spot. They are advertised as being suitable for beneath a foundation. I personally am doubtful about that application.

There are some really good youtube vids on the use of PEX and the use of the sharkbite. A few minutes of watching -- and it looks so easy.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    On the subject of push fittings; I don't have a dog in the hunt. That said, ignorance really frustrates me, I have 20 plus years in sales, management and technical training of and for plumbing and allied products. The industry has been using direct underground bury gas fittings that use the same principles as "Shark Bite" fittings; these have been in use for around 20 years. VT and CA have requirements for lead free brass fittings so some of the brass "Shark Bite" type fittings are not allowed in these states because the fittings are not certified "lead free". The VT and CA issues have nothing to do with the strength of connection. Accessible or not underground or otherwise the connection is proven; assuming, the product is used correctly as is the case with any crimp, clamp, compression or sweat fitting.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    On the subject of push fittings; I don't have a dog in the hunt. That said, ignorance really frustrates me, I have 20 plus years in sales, management and technical training of and for plumbing and allied products. The industry has been using direct underground bury gas fittings that use the same principles as "Shark Bite" fittings; these have been in use for around 20 years. VT and CA have requirements for lead free brass fittings so some of the brass "Shark Bite" type fittings are not allowed in these states because the fittings are not certified "lead free". The VT and CA issues have nothing to do with the strength of connection. Accessible or not underground or otherwise the connection is proven; assuming, the product is used correctly as is the case with any crimp, clamp, compression or sweat fitting.
    OK, that makes sense.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    sharkbite brewhaha
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    OK I finished most of it but I ran out of time before I had to come in and work the mid shift.

So here was my problem: We have very hard water so most of my faucet and shower cartridges need replaced every three years or so. My master bath shower needed replaced because it was leaking. The problem is that everything gets REALLY corroded from my hard water.

When I tried to remove the face plate for the shower faucet one of the screws was frozen and sheared off. I tried a penetrating agent and tried again with vice grips and it sheared off again. I had to drill it out (the screw)and retap the hole to 10-28. There was no other way to make it work without ripping out drywall and replacing everything. I was pretty happy that there was enough metal there to make it work.

It was a lot of work for a very small problem and everything was in a tight, closed in space. I had to have my 6 year old stand behind and above me and shine a flashlight into the hole while I worked on it.

I still need to find out if my leak is fixed. It might be the pan/drain. One step at a time I guess.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    I hope you put anti-seize back on those screw threads.

I just installed a shower in my shop and have plans on putting a cabinet on the drywall side opposite of the faucets, that way I can access most of the plumbing, though cover the hole back up with the cabinet.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Still beats washing up in a stream or lake, eh?

I don't plumb - it always cost me more in the long run.

Good Luck!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I hope you put anti-seize back on those screw threads.
    I sure did! : )
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I never really get frustrated with plumbing, it comes easy to me. The only time I do is when I forget some 25 cent piece needed to complete the job and have to travel all the way back to the hardware store.
    HA! The problem comes when you discover the hard way that plumbing didn't come easy to the previous home owner...
    On a serious matter... if you end up needing to put in new shut offs for that thing USE BALL VALVES! Those blasted gate valves have never given me nothing but problems. They can't be turned off fast enough in an emergency and they don't age well at all(ie end up LEAKING). Buggers should just be banned!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    HA! The problem comes when you discover the hard way that plumbing didn't come easy to the previous home owner...

Ha! Ain't that the truth.
    Mark Twain:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links