Plumbing

Plumbing

This is a discussion on Plumbing within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm at a point right now where I'm considering smashing everything with a hammer. I hate the man who plumbed my shower. I needed to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Plumbing

VIP Member

Plumbing

I'm at a point right now where I'm considering smashing everything with a hammer. I hate the man who plumbed my shower.

I needed to take a break and cool off so here I am DC.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Plumbing can be frustrating. Sit back and chill out a while.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Yep, I've been tempted to fix things with my Harley tool many times!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Fresh water or, waste water end of the shower.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Administrator
    I never really get frustrated with plumbing, it comes easy to me. The only time I do is when I forget some 25 cent piece needed to complete the job and have to travel all the way back to the hardware store.
    C hawk Glock and thephanatik like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Take a shower, you'll feel better.

Oh wait, you can't!
    Last edited by GunnyBunny; September 11th, 2011 at 12:32 AM.
    cammo, atctimmy and thephanatik like this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Good Luck, don't do anything that will cost you more money in the end. And, remember, it's never as difficult as you think it will be.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    Sympathies. I hate doing plumbing and I hate hiring plumbers. The plumbers never do the job the way I think it needs to be done; proper cutoffs, accessible valves, quality materials, copper and sweated fittings instead of sharkbite and CPVC or PEX. I have a good plumber here in town, but I sure hired a lazy incompetent jerk when I was back east a few weeks ago. Next year I'll have to tear it all out and do it over.

I don't mind the PEX so much as I hate the sharkbite. They are very convenient but somehow I just don't trust them long term. I had a plumber try to bury one in a wall one time, and the wall was going to be tiled over making that connection inaccessible. Fortunately it began to leak before the tile guy came around. Made the plumber come back and sweat the joint.

Maybe it is just my mis- perception, but that's how I feel about it. I'm starting to like PEX if only for the extreme ease of working with it.

As for leaking showers, the dang tile showers are so nice until the pan leaks. Same with faux marble showers.
    Give me a fiber glass /plastic set up. I had a big fight with Mrs H on this matter a few years ago. She won. I know it is just a matter of time till it will need to be redone once again.

So, if by taking the hammer to it you mean tearing out an old shower and installing a new pan and new faucets/shower head---
    get the hammer and go to it.

One bit of advice. Do what I am about to tell you even if you must hire a plumber. DO NOT start the job until you have individual cut offs to the shower installed--assuming they aren't there already. You don't want to find yourself in a situation where you've shut the water off to the whole house or the whole bathroom and something goes wrong so you can't turn the water on again. (All the while making up stories about why its not his fault.)

You'll feel better after a few swings with a hammer and pry bar, and with any luck the dang thing won't leak when you get done. And if it does, at least you will have some idea of what you did wrong and won't be waiting
    6 weeks for the goof who messed it up to come back and make good on his warranty.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Pex and push fittings (shark bite, watts etc) are very reliable; period, use them with confidence, if you need a quick easy fresh water connection. Just follow the manufactures instructions. Not an opinion, an educated fact, I have seen the fittings pressurized to hundreds of PSI, the pex will fail before the fitting.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Pex and push fittings (shark bite, watts etc) are very reliable; period, use them with confidence, if you need a quick easy fresh water connection. Just follow the manufactures instructions. Not an opinion, an educated fact, I have seen the fittings pressurized to hundreds of PSI, the pex will fail before the fitting.
    As I wrote, I had a bad experience with one Sharkbite. The cut edges of the pipe going in, whether it be copper, CPVC or PEX have to be burr free and at true right angles across the pipe.

But, both the Sharkbite and PEX take about 90% of the work out of fresh water connections. PEX is inexpensive, a good selling point, but the Sharkbites are a tad pricey; though worth it for the DIYer.

I've not decided which of the 3 PEX tools /systems I will purchase and use in the future. The tools tend to be expensive starting out; but way less expensive than a plumber's charges.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Never heard of Sharkbite, but PEX is standard procedure around here.

Is your shower leaking, or just malfunctioning?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Very few plumbers, carpenters, contractors, etc seem to be "craftsman" anymore and not interested in taking the time to get it done right the first time and with quality materials. There are "real" pros out there but they seem to be outnumbered by the bozos who get away with the bare minimum. If you have the time and patience DIY is the way to go, but plumbing is something I've given up on trying to do myself.

Through a neighbor I found a good plumber who specializes in issues in apartments and condos and did a great job fixing/replacing the leaky pipe and faucet on my shower. He was able to get into the wall through a small hole cut in the shower and replace everything like a surgeorn, and had a special faucet and plate to cover the hole so I didn't have to re-tile. It took exactly as long as he said it was and he had all the parts and tools in his truck needed to get the job done. Parts and labor was reasonable too, given that he spends no money advertising as all his clients appear to be referrals. Years later I called the same guy back up to see about replacing my water heater and he passed as it wasn't his specialty, so ended up having to shop around for someone to come out and install a new one for me. Got quotes ranging from $750 to $3000. Ended up going with an outfit that had a pretty good reputation and offered a higher quality water heater and not the cheapo contractor specials that most the other guys were selling. They weren't the cheapest but weren't the most expensive either. The master plumber they sent out ended up taking twice as long as quoted, but he took his time on all the copper piping getting everything right and did a great job.

Now if only I could get the bozo who's re-doing my master bath to hurry up and finish. Oh wait.. that's a DIY project. :)
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

VIP Member
    @ Hoppy: One of my problems is that there is no cut off valves for my shower and no access to put them in.

As to the problem: My shower is leaking and I don't know where. I suspect it's the cartridge and went in and replaced that yesterday. Like Sixto I find plumbing to be pretty easy but who ever plumbed my shower made it very hard to work on. They installed everything from the back and then the back was dry-walled in. It is making for a slow cumbersome project that just keeps getting bigger and bigger. GRRRRR!
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Timmy,

I know what you mean. I used to have a house that was basically a nightmare in plumbing. Whoever resided there prior to me was absolutely a plumbing terrorist and a sadistical person at heart. The plumbing was a mixture of galvanized, copper, CPVC, sometimes on the same line in areas totally inaccesable unless by sledgehammer. I spent more time under the house tracking it down and attempting to correct stuff than actually living in the structure. I am glad I don't own the place anymore.

I do plumbing but it is out of necessity rather than me sitting down one day and saying "I'd just love to learn plumbing." My 6 months working at a Lowe's in the dept. that had plumbing stuff helped me learn what did what and I got advice from the guys coming in to buy stuff. "On the job" training did help too. I will do plumbing, but I'd rather take a beating from a very large agressive person for an hour than fix any leaky plumbing.

I hope your stuff gets fixed. Really, I do.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    @ Hoppy: One of my problems is that there is no cut off valves for my shower and no access to put them in.

As to the problem: My shower is leaking and I don't know where. I suspect it's the cartridge and went in and replaced that yesterday. Like Sixto I find plumbing to be pretty easy but who ever plumbed my shower made it very hard to work on. They installed everything from the back and then the back was dry-walled in. It is making for a slow cumbersome project that just keeps getting bigger and bigger. GRRRRR!
    Leaking as in not fully shutting off? If that is the case and replacing the "cartridge" did not fix the problem then, look into the valve body with the cartridge removed, there is an "o" ring at the base that is more often the cause than failure of the cartridge itself. As for lack of shut off valves there is an easy fix assuming you can access the lines in the basement or crawl space, the shut off does not have to be adjacent to the shower. I'll suggest using the press fittings that have been discussed, the same manufactures also make press fittings that include 1/4 turn ball valve. Using the press fitting allows you to shut off the feed lines at your main and quickly add a shut-off without the frustration of sweating a copper line that is still wet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links