Any Maui Experts Out There?

Any Maui Experts Out There?

This is a discussion on Any Maui Experts Out There? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mrs. GB and I are heading there for some R&R and could use some pointers from those with intel on the area. I already know ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sheldon J

Thread: Any Maui Experts Out There?

VIP Member

Question Any Maui Experts Out There?

Mrs. GB and I are heading there for some R&R and could use some pointers from those with intel on the area.

I already know none of my permits are valid there so Mr. H&K will be staying in the safe for this trip.

We will be staying at a condo in the Kihei area. We have been advised that after we pick up our rental car to do a pit stop for supplies at either Costco or Safeway on the way to the condo.

Anything we shouldn't miss?

Almost as important, anything we SHOULD miss?

All input welcome.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Administrator
    Just have a great time. I'm betting that you won't even miss not having Mr. H&K

No expert at all, went once. We vacationed on Maui @ 6 years ago, stayed in Wailea (Grand Wailea resort). Had a really great time in the Wailea area which is resorts mostly-fantastic restaurants and high end shopping. The beaches are nice but very narrow. Snorkeling @ the Molokini crater was pretty good sights. We spent some time in Lahaina about 30 or so minutes away for more "funky" shopping and good restaurants. We never made it to Kapalua or Kaanapali during the 10 days or did the Road to Hana or went up Mt Haleakala-all recommended but we were having so much fun we never felt compelled plus our kids were a little younger.

I do recall when we were there someone @ our hotel drove down a road in a neighborhood looking for a restaurant and the locals pelted their car with rocks and bricks. The locals tolerate visitors and quite a few are unhappy with our presence, so caution in locals areas. Overall, an amazing place worth the paradise title.

Great island, lots of things to do, scuba, tours, great deals at the open air markets, rent a bike, enjoy the great weather!
    surefire7 likes this.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Take a tour of Ono farms. You have to drive the Hana Highway to get there and that is another thing that's a "can't miss" Maui is BEAUTIFUL and Hana is simply amazing.....although I was on my honeymoon when I was there. I may be a little bias LOL!!

But yah Ono Farms and the Hana highway....got to do that
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    Take a tour of Ono farms. You have to drive the Hana Highway to get there and that is another thing that's a "can't miss" Maui is BEAUTIFUL and Hana is simply amazing.....although I was on my honeymoon when I was there. I may be a little bias LOL!!

But yah Ono Farms and the Hana highway....got to do that
    Congrats on ya'lls upcoming holiday! It'll be a good time.

I was stationed in Pearl Harbor and made a couple trips to Maui..... mostly for the golf, some diving, and quiet time off Oahu.
    Like HK said, the road to Hana is a LONG, twisty adventure and a good day trip. Double check with your car rental place to ensure you rental can do it....... like I said, that drive is an adventure!
    Laihaina is great little town with plenty to do in the way of 'touristy' stuff. I never did any of the 'package' vacation thingy's as my buddies and I just took off and did what we wanted to do. Our Maui days pretty much consisted of 'Jimmy Buffett' kinda stuff interupted by by fishing, exploring the reefs and wreckages, and seeing how many balls we could lose on the golf course........

Let us know how it went.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Definitely do the Hana trip and plan to spend a whole day. Scuba or snorkel at Molokini. Luau in Lahania is amazing. Have a great time!!

Do you like sushi? Take a trip to Foodland (like Safeway) and get some poke. (pokee-prounced). We like to stock up and have lunches of poke and kimchee. Have the nice big dinner in the evening after snorkeling, beach walking (looking for beach glass) etc. Enjoy! Mahalo!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

me and my wife have been wanting to go to Hawaii since we got married (9 years now), but it is just so expensive. Last time we priced it I think it was around 15,000 for 5-6 days.... The Hotels were expensive...I have honestly thought about getting a Bi-annual timeshare there (which you can buy for a few dollars on ebay nowadays) and then just have to pay for plane tickets.I found one timeshare that was 5 bucks (not kidding, and the seller paid all transfer fees), and Maintenance fees were 865 (every two years)..hmmmm now you got me thinking bout it again lol

I smoked some Maui Wowie about 40 years ago but thats the closest I ever got
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Mr7point62, wow, where were you going to stay? We have gone once a year for 3 years in a row now and spend around $3000 for both of us-motel, car and airfare package. We stay around 7-8 days and have seen Maui, Oahu, Hawaii and Kauai now. Check out packages from various vendors, its not all that bad, cost-wise.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Sponsored Links